System and line up for Fulham

Seen Fulham a couple of times on TV and they totally dominate possession with lots of short passing very much in the same way as their manager Scott Parker used to play. For all of their possession they don't create as many chances as you would imagine.

The front 3 of Mitrovic, Cavaleiro and Knockheart look a real handful but I think the slow build up that they employ through midfield  actually hampers them and allows teams to get organised at the back.

If Tom Lees is fit I would bring him back in and move Ilorfa to right back as I think he would be able to handle Knockheart better than Odubaju, would also give us one more tall player at the back to help out with Mitrovic. Also wouldn't start Murphy and replace him with Luongo to give us a bit more presence in midfield to start off with.

Starting line up

Westwood

Ilorfa. Lees. Borner. Palmer

Harris  Bannan. Hutch. Luongo   Reach

Fletcher

• Like 2

14 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Seen Fulham a couple of times on TV and they totally dominate possession with lots of short passing very much in the same way as their manager Scott Parker used to play. For all of their possession they don't create as many chances as you would imagine.

The front 3 of Mitrovic, Cavaleiro and Knockheart look a real handful but I think the slow build up that they employ through midfield  actually hampers them and allows teams to get organised at the back.

If Tom Lees is fit I would bring him back in and move Ilorfa to right back as I think he would be able to handle Knockheart better than Odubaju, would also give us one more tall player at the back to help out with Mitrovic. Also wouldn't start Murphy and replace him with Luongo to give us a bit more presence in midfield to start off with.

Starting line up

Westwood

Ilorfa. Lees. Borner. Palmer

Harris  Bannan. Hutch. Luongo   Reach

Fletcher

I agree apart from I'd have Lee instead of Hutch.

Hutch offers nothing apart from the Headless chicken impression.

Loved as he is on here he contributes very little.

On 17/09/2019 at 08:17, torryowl said:

Seems good to me though I'd have Lees in if fit  .. 

The same here with iorfa taking over at right back from odubajo.

48 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

hutch is our best defensive midfielder which is the reason every manager bar jos  as had him in the team …..if we arnt going to play a holding defensive midfielder then fair enough but if we are theres none better than hutch at doing that role . ….there was a stat on sundays coverage that showed hutch was number 1 in passing ,tackling ,and interceptions .I would think he contributes a considerable amount to the team 

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

hutch is our best defensive midfielder which is the reason every manager bar jos  as had him in the team …..if we arnt going to play a holding defensive midfielder then fair enough but if we are theres none better than hutch at doing that role . ….there was a stat on sundays coverage that showed hutch was number 1 in passing ,tackling ,and interceptions .I would think he contributes a considerable amount to the team 

I don’t disagree that he WAS our best DM and may well still be. But I would like to see Luongo in that role, which he has played many times before, to see if he adds anything.

But a midfield of Lee Hutch Bannan, or Lee Luongo Bannan looks really strong to me.

I would worry about Luongo Hutch Bannan not having any goals in it, though against Fulham and Boro away as examples we are likely to be pretty defensively set-up anyway.

Very good options.

Please not Reach though. He’s not as good as the other midfielders and he’s better than Murphy on the wing!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
On 17/09/2019 at 15:26, Not Jon Newsome said:

Monk alluded to how he may potentially be making changes to the formation going forward, we were well organised at Huddersfield, and have managed to keep 3 clean sheets in 7 games which isn't bad, but still slightly disjointed going forward, Reach at the centre of a 4-2-3-1 or as a kind of shadow striker didn't really work we looked far better when he was back out wide.

Monk liked a 4--4-2 at Birmingham but I'd be surprised if we go with just Bannan and Hutchinson in the centre against a team like Fulham, they've had a decent start themselves and with the players they've got I expect them to really kick on as the season goes on, they should have beaten West Brom on Saturday. Can see us going with a 4-2-3-1 with Murphy dropping out for Lee or Luongo. Mitrovic is probably the best centre forward in this league so the centre backs will have to be strong and its very important the full backs stop the crosses into the box which he thrives on.

Westwood 

Odubajo

Iorfa

Borner 

Palmer 

Hutchinson 

Lee

Reach

Bannan

Harris

Fletcher 

I agree almost completely but I’d start Luongo instead of Lee especially as it’s in a more defensive position.

4-1-4-1

Westwood

Iorfa

Lees

Borner

Palmer

Hutch

Reach

Lee

Bannan

Harris

Fletch

Bench;

Dawson

Odubajo

Fox

Luongo

Murphy

Winnall

Nuhui

Lees will come back in and I’d be tempted to go with Iorfa at full back with his extra height to negate Mitrovic. Extra man in midfield for this game given it’s Fulham and Murphy needs to be dropped. Whether we go with Lee or Luongo remains to be seen.

1 minute ago, Jim Wonk said:

I hope Fulham‘s back 4 are ready for Harris and Fletcher who must be 2 of the most consistent performers in the championship so far this season.( I don’t have any stats to back this up like )

It's all free and easy in West London.. I've no doubt they'll let us flood their box..

On 17/09/2019 at 09:25, S72 Owl said:

Subs;

Dawson

Lees

Fox

Lee

Murphy

Winnall

Nuhui

Tough call leaving Lees out but Iorfa’s extra height and pace could be vital. It all depends on him having one of his good games though.

Luongo in midfield for that extra bite for the first 60 minutes then unleash Lee and Winnall on them. Easy.

815EF218-C8FB-4C1B-8938-73753F566D73.jpeg

This for me. 

I think it's really important on Saturday the full backs are offensive in nature, and look to take the game to Fulham and push their wingers back. 

If Monk goes with a more passive approach, Cairney will dictate things, and Knockaert and Cavaleiro will see a lot of the ball and eventually hurt us. 

Fulham haven't been that impressive early on, and their defence is prone to vulnerability. 

Swamp the middle with legs and energy, prevent Cairney from running the game, and encourage Odubajo and Palmer to stretch the play and give Fulham's wide players something to think about.

I'd also keep Iorfa at centre half regardless of Lees' condition. Mitrovic is a handful, but Iorfa has the physicality to stand up to that. We've seen Lees struggle on occasions up against the likes of Mitrovic. 

On Sat I'd be tempted to start with Nuhiu, just plonk him midway in their half and let him cause mayhem. If he attracts 2 defenders to deal with him at goal kicks then this creates space for Bannan to pick up second balls and do damage and also draws defenders away from Harris to get 1 v 1 with fullback. 

Only challenge is then centre mid. 

Westwood

<   Iorfa            Borner >

^                            ^                          ^

Odjob                 Hutch                Palmer

v                    Bannan                     v

<  Reach >                  Harris >

Nuhiu       v

< Fletch

Would require a fluid system of Reach to go narrow at times to add extra body at RCM and Fletch to occupy more of right channel but Reach has the legs to cover the ground, Iorfa and Borner seem comfortable at covering LB and RB spot with Hutch dropping into CB when needed. 

It's a fluid 3 5 2 but allows us to do 4 1 3 2 if need be depending on circumstances. 

Could be a wildcard... other than that same formation as Sat but with Reach for Murphy and Luongo making 3rd midfielder. Can't help but think tho that Nuhiu physicality would cause carnage alongside Fletcher, Reach, Bannan and Harris - at least in theory we'd have more players in box for crosses which we've been lacking at times. 

Plus are those Prem fairies ready for the Kosovan / Scottish double thruster? 

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 08:34, sweetsheri said:

Look at the stats for this season, and watch how he plays (when he plays further forward).

Hutch is KEY to us.

22 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Look at the stats for this season, and watch how he plays (when he plays further forward).

Hutch is KEY to us.

Not from what i've seen he isn't.

Sad state of affairs if he is KEY given the number of games he will miss.