Tony Pulis - Nixon Story

19 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I look at the career record @Stoop has posted - the 'highlights' - and can't help thinking "The Delap Years"

Goals bundled in from corners and the opposition scared to give away throw-ins

ugh

Obviously had to change things around at Boro, so Plan B: Drill his players in how to work the ref for 90mins

Which, coincidentally, also seems to be Alex Neil's No.1 tactic

If Pulis had been in charge last Saturday and we had won the game using these tactics would you have been bothered?

End of the season its the points on the board that matters, not the style they were achieved

BullS#@t if Pulis is so good why is he not in premiership with Middlesbrough. You pay a fortune to watch crap somewhere else if you want. 

He's a huge disastrous choice most really don't want him at all and Middlesbrough fans complain he's messed their club up. He didn't get them promoted and why if he's so good haven't Stoke sacked Jones and got him in! 

PULIS OUT!!!!      Out of the running please

Edited by ashley8

36 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

ooh, that's contentious  :mellow:

We all want promotion, I get that

But let's enjoy the ride too

Another way of looking at it would you have swapped last season for Cardiff’s season in the premier?

They achieved promotion using Warnocks hoof tactics and fill the team with big lads

At the moment we are back to crap football and loosing. I’m willing to suffer crap football if we are winning

3 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Another way of looking at it would you have swapped last season for Cardiff’s season in the premier?

They achieved promotion using Warnocks hoof tactics and fill the team with big lads

At the moment we are back to crap football and loosing. I’m willing to suffer crap football if we are winning

The club needs repairs, SB started the process we know need another experienced manager to continue the procedures, think we all saw the fruits of SBs labour got the first couple of games  but sadly we have gone back into decline again , an experienced manager would have us sitting at the top of the pile atm with the run of games we have just had 

2 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Yes, but it's not like there's a straight choice to make here

Crap football doesn't guarantee good results, if it did then I reckon the game would lose its appeal overnight

Both teams playing crap - both can't win - and who'd want to watch it?

By the way, I'm on record in a previous thread (weeks ago) saying that if 'promotion at any cost' was the target

Then we could do a lot worse than bringing Pulis in

I also said the games would be awful and attendances would most likely drop

But we'd stay up and around the top 6 all season

He still wouldn't be my choice because I'd prefer to follow our games live rather than tune in at 5pm every Saturday to see how we got on  :dry:

Not sure attendances would necessarily drop. We are mainly season ticket holders now. 

Id also think people would watch a winning side pushing for promotion 

i realise Pulis doesn’t guarantee winning football and it’s more likely to be ugly but a short term deal has to be worth considering. We are completely rudderless at the moment and if it carries on much longer this season will be a write off much like last year

Here - knew I hadn't dreamt it  :biggrin:

On 20/07/2019 at 13:31, Ethel The Tree said:

If it has to be promotion 'at all costs'

Then we'd have more chance with Pulis in charge (IMHO) - with or without Megson

There'd be more clean sheets

Loads more goals scored from corners, set pieces etc

The games would be as boring as hell and home attendances would surely suffer

But we wouldn't struggle   :mellow:

6 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Not sure attendances would necessarily drop. We are mainly season ticket holders now. 

Id also think people would watch a winning side pushing for promotion

Attendances dropped at Boro - over 2,000 down on average from the previous season

And they were never lower than 5th in the table until around March

That probably had more to do with Pulis getting the boot than missing out on the play-offs by one point

30 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Yes, but it's not like there's a straight choice to make here

Crap football doesn't guarantee good results, if it did then I reckon the game would lose its appeal overnight

Both teams playing crap - both can't win - and who'd want to watch it?

By the way, I'm on record in a previous thread (weeks ago) saying that if 'promotion at any cost' was the target

Then we could do a lot worse than bringing Pulis in

I also said the games would be awful and attendances would most likely drop

But we'd stay up and around the top 6 all season

He still wouldn't be my choice because I'd prefer to follow our games live rather than tune in at 5pm every Saturday to see how we got on  :dry:

The thing is Ethel that our football is bob now, and we're not getting the results either.

At Preston it was woeful.

When Megson was managing Bolton, fans chided him for not playing like Man Utd.

He responded that he'd like to play like Man Utd, but to do so Bolton would need Man Utd's players if the club wanted to be successful.

City play the ball out from the back - we tried it under Jos and it's fair to say that we didn't do the double.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

The thing is Ethel that our football is bob now, and we're not getting the results either.

It's a dilemma, isn't it?

So we bring in Pulis - our football will still be bob but we might get results?

I'm sure there are Stoke fans who wish they hadn't got shut when they did - for Hughes!!

West Brom too - for Pardew!!!

But would either have him back?

Answers on a postcard  :biggrin: