Booing Morgan Fox

7 hours ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Dont boo a bad mistake, it doesn’t help Sheffield Wednesday if that happens. Not booed once in my life, but if you want to boo, save it til the end of the match when it won’t affect our performance 

I don't boo either, I swear like fizz but don't boo. 

Edited by JOCOWl

Some of our fans ( minority ) are very hypocritical, Fox passes back, etc, he gets boo'd, Bazza does the same no problem........the same fans that have a go at Dawson if he makes an error, yet stay silent when Westwood makes a mistake, eg cost the goal against Millwall which he acknowledges, and almost last night with the poor kick which led to  a shot he had to tip over the bar.

Unfortunately we have a group of fans who get something in mind and are not open to persuasion. When Nuhiu, Dawson and Palmer have done well they still get criticised. Palmer has been consistently best defender for 6 months and still grumbled at. 

We have had some criticising Murphy and he looks to have some quality he clearly has to integrate into team has only arrived on deadline day.

If somebody has a bad game fair enough they can be criticised but should not hang with them forever. In the case of Dawson tactics employed by Jos of bringing ball out from back did little to help Dawson.

I have not been happy with how we have played in 3 of games this season as think we played at a level less than sum of players. This needs to improve and would want to see progress before I would give Bullen the managers job.

Fox isn't going anywhere soon. May as well back the lad.  

I don't know if some are expecting him to play like Roberto Carlos.  

I think some of the criticisms of Fox are a bit OTT.  

Defensively Fox put in a good shift yesterday, also put in some crunching tackles.  Great sliding block in the second half as well.  

watched game last night, and could not believe the dogs abu se our fans gave fox, ever mistake or decision the fans did not agree with they gave him stick, Bannan, Hutch, any one else it is OK, But fox .  he might suprise a few fans ifthey get off his Back, I for one think there is a good 'championship left back in him .

8 hours ago, martyn8484 said:

According to the Star "The fans booed his name before the match and he looked a little bereft of confidence. Far better in the second half.

If that's true, shame on any one that did this. That's not what we should be about. 

Boo a bad performance, boo a huge mistake, DON'T BOO A PLAYER BEING ANNOUNCED IN THE TEAM, fizz sake!

And maybe it's no wonder that the team did not perform to their best in the first half - probably pi***d off that one of their mates was subject to abuse from the idiots in the ground.  It's a very thin line at the best of times - let's ALL behave like grown-ups

Guest LittleG
4 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

To be fair, the whole team were awful first half and better second half, especially a few of the crowd favourites who get cheered on however badly they play and never booed because they are part of the "in crowd". At least Fox did get better as the game went on, first half and second half, despite hearing the boos and despite being booed by so called fans occasionally at Hillsborough last season too.

Unfortunately, there are idiot sections of every fan base, easily led fools that follow the gobby drunks like sheep and spend more time trying to copy these idiots than actually watching the game. Many of these buffoons have decided before the match which players are going to be in with a shout for man of the match and which players will not even be considered, because they are either liked, or disliked by the gobby dimwits, that know very little about football whether they were ever any good at playing themselves, or not.

I am glad that none of the crowd booed any of the untouchable favourites too last night, or it would have been a very loud night, because Bannan, Westwood, Hutchinson and even new favourites Harris, Odubajo and Murphy made plenty of mistakes and at times looked as though they were different players to the ones that played so well in the first couple of games. Anybody watching the game could see that Fox looked as awkward at first, as anybody would, that had been booed on and off since turning out at Hillsborough, but anybody bothered enough to actually watch what he actually did would soon have realised that he was a) doing what he had been told to do and b) despite looking awkward at first he did far more things right than he did wrong, unlike the untouchables who could have cost us the game with their constant messing about and  mistakes. Maybe some of us only think we see players having a better game than they are given credit for, but where Fox is concerned the statistics back up what I saw last night. His long ball pass rate was the best in the team last night (55%) with the two players nearest to him, Hutchinson (50%) and Bannan (33%) only managing to make one less long pass than Fox between them (Fox made 5 accurate long passes, Hutch 2 and Bannan 2). Defensively only Borner did better than Fox, with Odubajo making the same number of tackles as Fox, but also an interception, a blocked shot and 4 clearances to Odubajo's 0 and only one foul to Odubajo's 4. The only players for us who had more touches of the ball were Bannan (77), many of whose touches were unnecessary (should have passed earlier), were bad (lost control of the ball) or took us into trouble (got tackled or squeezed out) in dangerous areas around or box, and Julian Borner, who was my man of the Match just in front of Harris, then Fox and then Fletcher, who battled pretty much on his own during a limp first half.

Seeing Fox on the team sheet fills me with dread at times, but mainly because I know that I will probably end up arguing with some of his vocal critics that sit close to me. They did not boo him, but early in the game could not wait to criticise him while he was making himself available and getting involved in the game, while all around the pitch most of the team were not pulling their weight, or giving him an option to pass to.

I'm sure it's an excellent post but, at my age, I really don't want to use  up several special minutes reading it all. Perhaps bullet points next time. I have given you a plus point. 

I missed first 5 mins due to traffic so didn’t hear the booing, must admit I was disappointed to see him on the team sheet as he isn’t good enough for a promotion chasing team like ourselves , HOWEVER he did play fairy well (second half more than first) and made a very important block which potentially saved us a goal . My opinion doesn’t change I still don’t think he’s a good enough option going forwards at the club but I must agree booing isn’t needed. Well done overall yesterday though mr Fox 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

What did he do that was dreadful in the context of a half when no one excelled?

His first tackle for example was excellent Moses had gone missing and we were basically 4 attackers against our 2 CB and Fox the 2 free guys at the backpost one of which was Lua Lua ( their most dangerous looking player IMO ) but Fox put in a fabulous tackle and stopped the cross 

Yes he played a couple of wayward balls which were roundly booed by the "fans" near me but so did Hutch without a murmur 

Fox overall had a decent game 

It seems some fans are just waiting for Fox to make a mistake to berate him. To his credit (just like Nuhiu who suffers similar unwarranted abuse) he gets on with his game. He played well last night in the context of an all round average team performance. And he probably saved us two points near the end when he blocked a shot in the area. Booing our own players is just stupid. Even if you think their ability is not the best they don't pick themselves do they ?