Kadeem/Murphy

11 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Players with that much pace and skill on the ball at this level often don't... if they did they would be playing week in week out in the Premier League. Saw a few times yesterday, especially Harris, some poor decision making as he insisted on cutting inside... one instance in particular after a Lees long pass where he should have driven to the byline to cross to any of three players in the middle, but instead cut inside into the defender and subsequently had a wild shot.

And before you think this is coming across as if I'm unhappy with the wide players or that I want "more" from our wide men (as another poster put it)... I voted Harris as my MOTM in the other thread.

Some posters need to realise that observations of a player's weaknesses in their game is not the equivalent of saying that the player's game isn't good enough. 

I don't understand why people are digging at you. 

I went to the Northampton friendly and really enjoyed watching a player (Harris) with pace and skill who was prepared to run at and beat defenders, get to the byline and either pull it back or cross, or cut inside and have a dig.

He excited me more than other signing I can remember for a long time (probably Antonio or Marshall maybe even before them).

But I also commented his final ball or shot wasn't ALWAYS as good as it could be.

This isn't me knocking him. No player (Even the absolute greats) always make the right decision or execute perfectly, it was merely that he seemed to excel with pace and skill and the only place I could see any room for improvement was his final ball/decision making.

He is already a fantastic player but everybody should always look to continually improve, the final ball appeared to me to be his weakest part of his game (not weak but not as strong as other parts of his game). 

Therefore the part that could be most improved. 

I didn't go to Reading but saw the highlights and then went yesterday, he is proving my 1st thoughts both right and wrong

Right in that he is the most exciting player I have seen for ages.

Wrong in mainly the end product has been very good.

But I see where your coming from, players of his ilk often excite and frustrate in equal amounts, but the good far outweighs the bad (which I haven't seen much of at all).

I don't think you were nitpicking just mentioning where you think he could improve.

As a side note Murphy also looked good, as did the other new signings, i won't be going overboard just yet, but things are certainly  looking brighter than they have in a long time. (Sorry for going on) UTO!

Edited by OWL1969

18 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

I wouldn't go that far. He's a slimey cocknipple.

I'll give him one thing though.  He could build a squad, better than Carlos, Jos and Paxo combined.

Haha, think that's a bit harsh, we have all had the boyhood team feeling. If he had left for money and not passion I would agree.

I’m not sure you can play both and Bannan in some of the tougher away games, but luckily we now appear to have options aplenty. Reach or Fessi sharing workload out wide. Luongo adding bite, energy and intensity in the middle. 

Looking forward to seeing how Bullen or A N Other mix and match to share the workload and set up to take on our opponents and exploit their weaknesses. 

8 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

I don't understand why people are digging at you. 

I went to the Northampton friendly and really enjoyed watching a player (Harris) with pace and skill who was prepared to run at and beat defenders, get to the byline and either pull it back or cross, or cut inside and have a dig.

He excited me more than other signing I can remember for a long time (probably Antonio or Marshall maybe even before them).

But I also commented his final ball or shot wasn't ALWAYS as good as it could be.

This isn't me knocking him. No player (Even the absolute greats) always make the right decision or execute perfectly, it was merely that he seemed to excel with pace and skill and the only place I could see any room for improvement was his final ball/decision making.

He is already a fantastic player but everybody should always look to continually improve, the final ball appeared to me to be his weakest part of his game (not weak but not as strong as other parts of his game). 

Therefore the part that could be most improved. 

I didn't go to Reading but saw the highlights and then went yesterday, he is proving my 1st thoughts both right and wrong

Right in that he is the most exciting player I have seen for ages.

Wrong in mainly the end product has been very good.

But I see where your coming from, players of his ilk often excite and frustrate in equal amounts, but the good far outweighs the bad (which I haven't seen much of at all).

I don't think you were nitpicking just mentioning where you think he could improve.

As a side note Murphy also looked good, as did the other new signings, i won't be going overboard just yet, but things are certainly  looking brighter than they have in a long time. (Sorry for going on) UTO!

I think because both are playing on their wrong side, as is the fashion, they are more likely to cut in Too early to say yet, but I suspect Murphy may turn out to be a better supplier of crosses. I’ve seen Harris three times now, and he terrorises defenders, but yes, his decision making is pretty poor.  At Reading for example, he was unanimously MOTM amongst Wednesday fans, but if you actually dissect his performance, there was very little end product, his goal apart.  In that respect, he’s a bit like JJ.  What he does do though, like Murphy, is gives us the ability to get up the field quickly, and that’s something we haven’t had for a long time.

22 hours ago, East Yorks Owl said:

On the face of it both players look good business, but when you look at Harris' playing history it becomes apparent he's had injury problems.  In the last 2 seasons he's only played 18 games and ankle injuries seem to have been his major issue.  Fingers crossed he's put the injuries behind him, but Warnock's no fool and the fact we signed him on a free suggests there's a degree of gamble behind his signing.  That said its pretty obvious the lad can play - I just hope he stays healthy because if he does he'll be a great addition to the squad.

So that’s the reason they let him go, that’s a little worrying as you would think they know him best.

Lets hope his injury woes are over as he’s exactly what we’ve needed for years.

On 11/08/2019 at 10:10, East Yorks Owl said:

On the face of it both players look good business, but when you look at Harris' playing history it becomes apparent he's had injury problems.  In the last 2 seasons he's only played 18 games and ankle injuries seem to have been his major issue.  Fingers crossed he's put the injuries behind him, but Warnock's no fool and the fact we signed him on a free suggests there's a degree of gamble behind his signing.  That said its pretty obvious the lad can play - I just hope he stays healthy because if he does he'll be a great addition to the squad.

2 hours ago, Spookone said:

So that’s the reason they let him go, that’s a little worrying as you would think they know him best.

Lets hope his injury woes are over as he’s exactly what we’ve needed for years.

He was on the bench/available to play a load more games in 18/19, so the statement 'only played 18 games and ankle injuries seem to have been his major issue' is a little disingenuous?  He wouldn't be on the bench if he wasn't fit and sometimes, he might be fit and not even in the squad!  

The fact that a lot of Cardiff fans said he was never given a run of games, no matter how well he played, says a lot.  I think his biggest issue around not playing last season, was Neil Warnock.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thanks 1

I am hoping these two form a very good connection up top. Both are very pacey so when one get's in behind the other will be there for support, most of the time. On one occasion Harris should have squared it for Murphy for a tap in but decided to shoot. Hopefully in time they will always be aware of each others position and create chances for each other consistently. Both look like great signings early on.

1 hour ago, Suzuki_San said:

He was on the bench/available to play a load more games in 18/19, so the statement 'only played 18 games and ankle injuries seem to have been his major issue' is a little disingenuous?  He wouldn't be on the bench if he wasn't fit and sometimes, he might be fit and not even in the squad!  

The fact that a lot of Cardiff fans said he was never given a run of games, no matter how well he played, says a lot.  I think his biggest issue around not playing last season, was Neil Warnock.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope you’re right. I guess I’m used to us getting turned over in the transfer market. Hopefully we’ve got lucky with Harris; I guess I’m a little sceptical because we got him from Cardiff on a free.

1 hour ago, Jackie Sewell said:

But the one time Harris beat his man and put that killer ball across the 6 yard line, second half, Fletcher hadn't got there. 

I thought the opposite.

My recollection was the Fletch went in too early?

53 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I hope you’re right. I guess I’m used to us getting turned over in the transfer market. Hopefully we’ve got lucky with Harris; I guess I’m a little sceptical because we got him from Cardiff on a free.

Yeah...a lot of players are free in the Champ these days though.  I do like the fact that all of our signings, bar Jones, are really good ages.  

On 11/08/2019 at 10:01, Holmowl said:

How is he peripheral?

He started 131 of our last 135 matches.

It's fairly obvious he was talking future, not past.

I can see what he's getting at.. where do you put Reach in the team.

With a front 3 of "Harris - Fletch - Murphy"  you have to try and get him into the midfield..

But then you're having to displace Bannan or Lee, and I for one want them to start every game they can.

And Reach is not cut out to play CDM, so Hutch/Luongo will slot in there.

So where do we play Reach in our 'best 11'? Not left back, surely, not any more.

The season is long, so he'll get games, sure. But I can see how Guru thinks Reach could become peripheral based on what we've got available right now.

Right now, I think i'd want to see this every time we can field it:

Harris - Fletch - Murphy

Bannan - Luongo/Hutch - Lee

Palmer - Borner - Lees - Obubajo
Westwood

Re Murphy and Steve Bruce. It was interesting to hear Jacob say that Bruce advised him to go on loan to us and what a good club it is. Have to say that the recruitment has been excellent this summer, the best for years, and SB probably had a considerable say in it. I suppose it just makes it even more infuriating that he left because you have to imagine where we would be after another one or two Bruce windows. Really hope the recruitment team he left continue to deliver.