Kadeem/Murphy

On the face of it both players look good business, but when you look at Harris' playing history it becomes apparent he's had injury problems.  In the last 2 seasons he's only played 18 games and ankle injuries seem to have been his major issue.  Fingers crossed he's put the injuries behind him, but Warnock's no fool and the fact we signed him on a free suggests there's a degree of gamble behind his signing.  That said its pretty obvious the lad can play - I just hope he stays healthy because if he does he'll be a great addition to the squad.

5 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

On the face of it both players look good business, but when you look at Harris' playing history it becomes apparent he's had injury problems.  In the last 2 seasons he's only played 18 games and ankle injuries seem to have been his major issue.  Fingers crossed he's put the injuries behind him, but Warnock's no fool and the fact we signed him on a free suggests there's a degree of gamble behind his signing.  That said its pretty obvious the lad can play - I just hope he stays healthy because if he does he'll be a great addition to the squad.

At least we can play odubajo on the RW if we need to rest someone as well. Iorfa can fill in at RB.

43 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

How is he peripheral?

He started 131 of our last 135 matches.

Yes, he has, and has played well. Unfortunately for him, but fortunately for  us, he's never been shoe-horned into a particular position I think the Poster means that he has never been classed as, or played as, say a n out-and -out winger, centre forward, full back  or whatever, but has seemed to have been roaming around the edges, certainly of the penalty area, and has kept cropping up, and scoring, at the appropriate times. Whilst I am NOT saying he's on the same level,but he reminds me very much as the late, great Bobby Moore, who often seemed to drift in and out of games,but was always there when the time came.  

I think Bannan’s injury was a blessing in disguise. Very much doubt Murphy was going to start yesterday, and we would have seen Reach there instead.

fair play to Bullen for starting him, it paid off and we got to watch what I think was the most entertaining home performance since probably the Brighton Playoff match.

5 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

What makes you think they have a lack of end product? I ,have seen exactly the opposite fro Harris in both games and Murphy in his debut

Harris:

2 apps

1 goal

0 assist (could argue assist for Murphys goal)

Murphy:

1 app

1 goal

1 assist

Not sure what more he wants from our wide men...

Edited by JackSWFC

14 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

What makes you think they have a lack of end product? I ,have seen exactly the opposite fro Harris in both games and Murphy in his debut

Players with that much pace and skill on the ball at this level often don't... if they did they would be playing week in week out in the Premier League. Saw a few times yesterday, especially Harris, some poor decision making as he insisted on cutting inside... one instance in particular after a Lees long pass where he should have driven to the byline to cross to any of three players in the middle, but instead cut inside into the defender and subsequently had a wild shot.

And before you think this is coming across as if I'm unhappy with the wide players or that I want "more" from our wide men (as another poster put it)... I voted Harris as my MOTM in the other thread.

Some posters need to realise that observations of a player's weaknesses in their game is not the equivalent of saying that the player's game isn't good enough. 

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

They both played in the prem, and any winger prem or our league aren’t goi g to make the correct decision constantly. 

Exactly, played... despite being available, no Prem team wanted them... which was my point.

I don't know what else you want mate, the majority of the rest of this post is a strawman argument. I promise you, the Big Bad Man isn't saying Murphy and Harris aren't good enough, merely that I think they will be the type of player who will create a lot of chances but not necessarily be super clinical. Like Sterling! You even make the perfect illustration for me... do I think you're saying Sterling isn't good enough? No, of course I don't, so why are you automatically assuming with the same rationale that I'm heavily criticising these two livewires? I think between them over a full season they'll directly score/assist ~25 goals between them. Is that too critical in your eyes? 

Going back to my original statement:

Both strike me as the sort of players that are going to frustrate with poor decision making and lack of end product.

Both also strike me as absolute lightning and able to create half a dozen chances between them per game just by being absolute lightning. 

I'd rather they were in our team than not, that's for sure.

I would rather have two players with their pace and skill with "poor decision making" that create three chances per game each, than have two players without their pace and skill with "good decision making" that only create two chances per game each. I really can't put it any simpler than that. I literally say the words I want them playing for us. I've voted Harris as MOM two weekends in a row. If you want to persist with your strawmanned argument that I'm seemingly not happy with them, then knock yourself out. But you're batting at the wrong end of the wicket here. 

Just now, 2roland2 said:

Simplified you are pulling them apart for potentially being frustrating when no evidence backs that up, all top wingers make similar mistakes. 

But fire away theres fizz all else to moan about at the moment so you might as well nitpick 

Right lol   So identifying a player's weakness = moaning. I'm a massive moaner. It's true.

I'll leave the last thread I created here, just in case you want to see how much of a moan I've been having recently

Keep strawmanning my dude.

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, you haven't identified their weaknesses, you've speculated as to what they might be...

Nah, that's very fair to be honest, I'm just throwing a punt out there as to what sort of players the pacy tricky types tend to be at this level at a couple of bits that happened yesterday that I perceive as backing that up (confirmation bias anyone?). 

Which perhaps makes the statement that I'm "moaning" even weirder? I'm freakin' delighted we have players with that much pace in the squad... I and every other fan have only been calling out for it for about three years. 

One thing I’d like to see us do, is leave them both upfield when we concede a corner. There is little merit in bringing them back to defend a corner.  In fact, we’d be better served by letting their pace occupy four defenders, both in a defensive, and an attacking sense

7 hours ago, RobbieOwler said:

It's like we've actually done some scouting on our new signings after reviewing the qualities we lack in the team. Along with getting a decent fee for one of our players, we're a changed club.

I think we just photocopied Bruce's list and will use it again in January. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

One thing I’d like to see us do, is leave them both upfield when we concede a corner. There is little merit in bringing them back to defend a corner.  In fact, we’d be better served by letting their pace occupy four defenders, both in a defensive, and an attacking sense

I'd always have two stop on the half way line no matter who it is. Opposition will always put three on two. 

• Like 1