Kadeem/Murphy

Reach has been a star performer, mainstay and goalscorer. A key asset for us should we sell.

I don’t think he should be peripheral yet based on 2 games and Lee is still recovering. I do think the change of pace and style in our play probably means Reach will play more of a team role if the other wingers are on the pitch. But likewise they may not always be on form and he can play there

On 11/08/2019 at 09:00, gurujuan said:

The good thing is, both wingers are making plenty of out to in runs, which means they can get nearer Fletcher, and get on the end of chances.  Don’t know what happened with Murphy’s goal on Saturday, as both wingers found themselves pretty much in the same channel Worked out OK though

I liked the way Murphy went across the back of Harris and then went wide to the left. Clever play to pull a defender away from Harris. The ball fell kindly for him so he was rewarded for his effort. 

Murphy looks to be an intelligent player not just a speed merchant.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

It's fairly obvious he was talking future, not past.

I can see what he's getting at.. where do you put Reach in the team.

With a front 3 of "Harris - Fletch - Murphy"  you have to try and get him into the midfield..

But then you're having to displace Bannan or Lee, and I for one want them to start every game they can.

And Reach is not cut out to play CDM, so Hutch/Luongo will slot in there.

So where do we play Reach in our 'best 11'? Not left back, surely, not any more.

The season is long, so he'll get games, sure. But I can see how Guru thinks Reach could become peripheral based on what we've got available right now.

Right now, I think i'd want to see this every time we can field it:

Harris - Fletch - Murphy

Bannan - Luongo/Hutch - Lee

Palmer - Borner - Lees - Obubajo
Westwood

Thats a terrific line-up, but so are many other different permutations of our squad, especially across the midfield.

I would be surprised if Reach isn’t a near ever-present, but delighted if the form of others sees him rotated more than previous seasons.

34 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Reach has been a star performer, mainstay and goalscorer. A key asset for us should we sell.

I don’t think he should be peripheral yet based on 2 games and Lee is still recovering. I do think the change of pace and style in our play probably means Reach will play more of a team role if the other wingers are on the pitch. But likewise they may not always be on form and he can play there

It's not that i think Reach deserves to be peripheral. He's made the difference in a lot of games. But if everyone's fit, i don't know where to put him.

Definitely agree that it's a long season and everyone will play their part (except maybe Winnall?)

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

It's not that i think Reach deserves to be peripheral. He's made the difference in a lot of games. But if everyone's fit, i don't know where to put him.

Definitely agree that it's a long season and everyone will play their part (except maybe Winnall?)

I think it depends on the game, I see what you mean but in some games soon, our threat will be clearly identified and there won’t be so much space for Harris and Murphy to do what they’ve been doing. Teams will look to stifle that and counter us. I think it’s those games where Reach and Forestieri will be key along with Bannan.

Winnall should be due a chance here in my view as he’s generally done ok when he’s played. But I suspect he will be coming off the bench if we need to switch to a 2 up front and try something different chasing a game.

On 11/08/2019 at 07:24, Holmowl said:

They swapped wings after 5 minutes and continued to do so but settled on Harris left, Murphy right. I liked that a lot. Defenders not knowing if they were coming or going.

I really wanted Carlos season 2, then Jo's to try this system playing Nando & mattias either side of a central striker.. 

It just seemed to make sense for what we had at the time. 

Now we have te updated version with power and pace added and can't wait to see how this season unfolds. As you say bud hopefully we can keep them both fit and firing. 

8 hours ago, cookeh said:

It's fairly obvious he was talking future, not past.

I can see what he's getting at.. where do you put Reach in the team.

With a front 3 of "Harris - Fletch - Murphy"  you have to try and get him into the midfield..

But then you're having to displace Bannan or Lee, and I for one want them to start every game they can.

And Reach is not cut out to play CDM, so Hutch/Luongo will slot in there.

So where do we play Reach in our 'best 11'? Not left back, surely, not any more.

The season is long, so he'll get games, sure. But I can see how Guru thinks Reach could become peripheral based on what we've got available right now.

Right now, I think i'd want to see this every time we can field it:

Harris - Fletch - Murphy

Bannan - Luongo/Hutch - Lee

Palmer - Borner - Lees - Obubajo
Westwood

Hutch should start every match if fit but depending on result should be replaced midway through the second half

Hutch playing gives us extra steel in the centre. No coincidence we started winning last season when Bullen put him back in

6 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Hutch should start every match if fit but depending on result should be replaced midway through the second half

Hutch playing gives us extra steel in the centre. No coincidence we started winning last season when Bullen put him back in

Hutch playing every game if fit, is exactly the reason why Hutch is often unfit/injured. He always wants to play, but there’s a reason why he’s never played a high percentage of games in a season in his career.

He and his game time need to be managed better. Same with Lee, Fletch too and potentially Harris. But luckily we have players who can come in, it’s just whether they get rotated well - two games in four days coming up, I guess we’ll see. 

4 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Hutch playing every game if fit, is exactly the reason why Hutch is often unfit/injured. He always wants to play, but there’s a reason why he’s never played a high percentage of games in a season in his career.

He and his game time need to be managed better. Same with Lee, Fletch too and potentially Harris. But luckily we have players who can come in, it’s just whether they get rotated well - two games in four days coming up, I guess we’ll see. 

Absolutely right.

No cup games for Hutch and miss some Tuesdays. Luongo looked the dog’s nads anyway so we are in clover if we keep both fit and competing for places. Luongo looked like Lee can be rested too.