A Nightmare on Jihadi John Street

darra

44 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Who have they upgraded Clarke with?

They have also swapped Robinson, who they paid a fair whack for last year, with Burke, who has been off track for a while. 

The goalkeeper they have lost was their player of the year last year.

They have added at full-back cover which makes that area stronger in depth but their full-backs last season were virtual ever-presents and were a big part of what they did well.

Maybe you are right, the squad might be a little bit stronger but the starting 11 is weaker. 

Other clubs they had legitimate thoughts of finishing above for a while last season - Spurs, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal will be much stronger this time around. 

I don't expect them to be relegated but I think they will be bottom half. 

Newcastle look like they could be better this season too. 

On 06/09/2020 at 17:50, fudge27 said:

Is it? 

GK is the most important position in the team and after Henderson left them their biggest weakness. Its the exact right thing to do. The choice of GK is another matter, had their pants down with the kid they've signed 

I'd actually argue the opposite. Personally I think the GK is the easiest position to fill and clubs are more willing to loan out good keepers due to them less likely to get injuries in that position. Look at the keepers we've had over the years and we've spent naff all on them.

People can keep saying they don't need strikers because they already finished top half, but that is highly dependent on their defense being outstanding for the entire season which got them the majority of their points last season and they showed that they do have issues at times i.e. vs Newcastle. That is a hell of a lot of pressure on the defense if they know they can't rely on any strikers to bail them out. His big money strikers have already shown that they could be a total waste of money, the return from them last season was absolutely atrocious

Sort out the strikers position then they could have a real chance of pushing higher. It doesn't sound like they are willing to spend the money to do so though

4 hours ago, SouthStand75 said:

They look to have a stronger squad than last year. Upgraded on Freeman the defender and Clarke. Only positive is them losing Henderson. 

Stronger depth maybe, but can't say their actual first team look any stronger. Positive is them losing Henderson and not strengthening up top, and possibly wasting what little money is available in defensive areas

This one is a bigger season for them than last as the second season is the one invariably surprise packages promoted from the championship come a cropper.

Reading, Hull, Huddersfield. I might be wrong but I remember Ipswich doing really well under Burley one season and totally crashing the next.

I don’t think Leeds getting promoted is going to help them as they’ll be getting more attention both locally and nationally than United. You’d think this might help them but with it being Wilder and United, it’ll probably go the other way?

Plus if they’re not in the Top 4 come Christmas believe it or not there will be some supporters calling for Wilder’s head?

They should stop up but they’ll be closer to the bottom 4 than the top 4 this season IMO?

39 minutes ago, Jim said:

This one is a bigger season for them than last as the second season is the one invariably surprise packages promoted from the championship come a cropper.

Reading, Hull, Huddersfield. I might be wrong but I remember Ipswich doing really well under Burley one season and totally crashing the next.

I don’t think Leeds getting promoted is going to help them as they’ll be getting more attention both locally and nationally than United. You’d think this might help them but with it being Wilder and United, it’ll probably go the other way?

Plus if they’re not in the Top 4 come Christmas believe it or not there will be some supporters calling for Wilder’s head?

They should stop up but they’ll be closer to the bottom 4 than the top 4 this season IMO?

calling for the mangers head if not in the top four?? ....reyt, owt tha sez Jim

Nah. Providing they’re not in the drop zone the fans will stay on board. If it’s more of a struggle than last season Wilder will change his tune in press conferences to reminding everyone they’re little Sheffield United, small wage bill, punching above their weight....

Expect lots of comments about how much Villa have spent by comparison too.

Edited by Ever the pessimist
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Nah. Providing they’re not in the drop zone the fans will stay on board. If it’s more of a struggle than last season Wilder will change his tune in press conferences to reminding everyone they’re little Sheffield United, small wage bill, punching above their weight....

Expect lots of comments about how much Villa have spent by comparison too.

lol 

I'm laughing because its actually true... so predictable  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Ipswich finished 5th then went down the following season. I'm hoping similar happens to United. Certainly don't see them finishing as high as last season. 

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Ipswich qualified for Europe in their first season then got relegated without a whimper the following season, including a 9-0 defeat at Manu...🤞🤞

7 hours ago, the monk said:

calling for the mangers head if not in the top four?? ....reyt, owt tha sez Jim

There were a few complaining when they fell away at the end of last season when they had a shot at the Top 4 but anyway if they’re mid-table or worse, you watch them turn on Wilder?

7 hours ago, Jim said:

Come on now 😂