A Nightmare on Jihadi John Street

darra

1 minute ago, Matt_1 said:

Unsure about the other Derby player, but those who are saying Bogle is a relegation signing are wrong, imo. Great young prospect, will fit into their system really well. Vey good signing, annoyingly.

Yep, I think so too. 

2 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

Unsure about the other Derby player, but those who are saying Bogle is a relegation signing are wrong, imo. Great young prospect, will fit into their system really well. Vey good signing, annoyingly.

I said earlier he was touted as a big thing recently.

Who does Wilder upset though to play him? Both full backs seemed to be on full form last season. That Lowe seems an odd one though. Maybe a bit of a gamble. 

7 hours ago, Skyline said:

Who does Wilder upset though to play him? Both full backs seemed to be on full form last season. That Lowe seems an odd one though. Maybe a bit of a gamble. 

The derby fans don’t understand it either. One suggestion I read was they have a hefty sell on clause for the other kid, so by paying 15m for both they only pay half of the sell on fee rather than on the full 15m. In these days of shady football deals it might be right?

13 hours ago, Skyline said:

Only takes one full back to get injured or to tire out and their gameplan struggles.

They rely on that position so much, they need to have a good backup.

1 hour ago, Matt_1 said:

Only takes one full back to get injured or to tire out and their gameplan struggles.

They rely on that position so much, they need to have a good backup.

Expensive backup, especially when they could really do with a decent striker (their own fans are saying this) 

They've spent 18mil on a keeper, 15mil on two full backs and swapped their £8mil signing for a player who had potential but has been all over with no one club that interested in keeping him. 

Could call Burke a typical Wilder signing so only time will tell if he can polish him enough to sparkle. But we're not talking a lower league journey man here, we're talking someone who has been at bigger clubs recently and failed. 

1 minute ago, Skyline said:

Expensive backup, especially when they could really do with a decent striker (their own fans are saying this) 

They've spent 18mil on a keeper, 15mil on two full backs and swapped their £8mil signing for a player who had potential but has been all over with no one club that interested in keeping him. 

Could call Burke a typical Wilder signing so only time will tell if he can polish him enough to sparkle. But we're not talking a lower league journey man here, we're talking someone who has been at bigger clubs recently and failed. 

They needed a keeper more than they needed a striker, they spent pretty big and got one. They did well on the strength of their defence last season, so replacing their keeper was number 1 priority. It was the only position they were potentially getting weaker.

I don't know why people (us and them) are all so focussed on them not strenghtening their weak attack. They had a poo attack last season, it still saw them finish top half.

This window isn't closed yet. If they don't sign a striker, it will still be an ok window. If they do, it will be a good one.

28 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

They needed a keeper more than they needed a striker, they spent pretty big and got one. They did well on the strength of their defence last season, so replacing their keeper was number 1 priority. It was the only position they were potentially getting weaker.

I don't know why people (us and them) are all so focussed on them not strenghtening their weak attack. They had a poo attack last season, it still saw them finish top half.

This window isn't closed yet. If they don't sign a striker, it will still be an ok window. If they do, it will be a good one.

They are pretty close to signing Brewster, would probably be a good signing unfortunately. Looked promising for Swansea and has a bit of pace which is what they seem to lack up front. 

1 hour ago, Matt_1 said:

Their success was based on their defence but I don't think you can rely on that season after season at that level with the players they have. I very much doubt they will be able to maintain that kind of defensive record again and as much as they have spent on a new keeper, he isn't as good as the one they had, otherwise they wouldn't have tried to bring Henderson back. Even their own fans appreciate they need more in the final 3rd.

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Their success was based on their defence but I don't think you can rely on that season after season at that level with the players they have. I very much doubt they will be able to maintain that kind of defensive record again and as much as they have spent on a new keeper, he isn't as good as the one they had, otherwise they wouldn't have tried to bring Henderson back. Even their own fans appreciate they need more in the final 3rd.

Hope I'm wrong but I think that they can stay as solid at the back. No reason why not if they are well organised and everyone knows their role. Burnley have managed to do it for a while

28 minutes ago, markg said:

Hope I'm wrong but I think that they can stay as solid at the back. No reason why not if they are well organised and everyone knows their role. Burnley have managed to do it for a while

Burnley conceded 68 league goals the season before last.

2 minutes ago, markg said:

Didn't realise that. I'll cling on to that 🙂

Not sure you picked the best example at all to be honest. 

The best Burnley have done defensively since the last time they were promoted was concede 11 more than Utd did last season and in every season since being promoted they have had at least 2 players who scored more league goals than Utd's top scorer last season. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Not sure you picked the best example at all to be honest. 

The best Burnley have done defensively since the last time they were promoted was concede 11 more than Utd did last season and in every season since being promoted they have had at least 2 players who scored more league goals than Utd's top scorer last season. 

🙂 Yeah, pretty bad example. 

27 minutes ago, SouthStand75 said:

They look to have a stronger squad than last year. Upgraded on Freeman the defender and Clarke. Only positive is them losing Henderson. 

Who have they upgraded Clarke with?

They have also swapped Robinson, who they paid a fair whack for last year, with Burke, who has been off track for a while. 

The goalkeeper they have lost was their player of the year last year.

They have added at full-back cover which makes that area stronger in depth but their full-backs last season were virtual ever-presents and were a big part of what they did well.

Maybe you are right, the squad might be a little bit stronger but the starting 11 is weaker. 

Other clubs they had legitimate thoughts of finishing above for a while last season - Spurs, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal will be much stronger this time around. 

I don't expect them to be relegated but I think they will be bottom half.