Oh Sheffield is wonderful

I've always like that about sheffield too.

Walk anywhere in this city, anywhere, and little kids are running about in Wendesday and United shirts. Its great. Hardly any big clubs in sight at playgrounds in this city, what makes our rivalry so great is that kids are brought up to love Wednesday/United and not Man Utd/Liverpool/Chelsea.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867
  • Like 1

Well you put a lovely post about the city and how you like it and get shot down. There’s no utopian paradise where everything is perfect (except Hillsborough of course) lol

Sheffield is alright, not perfect but not terrible either IMO. Glad u had a nice day and yes our ground and club are the best in the world. End of. 

Sheffield’s got loads going for it. Lived in Mcr 10yrs and while it gets tons more money pumped in, it spends it ALL on dollying up the city centre and absolutely naff-all on the rest. Parts of it make the worst of Sheff feel like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

As in any city though, the bulk of the crap stuff is crap ‘cos too many people treat it as such.

I’ve lived in Sheffield all my life and I love the city and our surrounding countryside. 

My my girlfriend is from a village near Matlock and she adores sheffield. 

I mean it’s a got everything you need and more on your doorstep. Sure I’d like to see even more investment in the city centre to put us on par with the likes of Leeds and Manchester but we are slowly getting there. 

As for the football, well to say we are the home of football for this country we are pretty poo at advertising it and selling it. 

8 hours ago, poite said:

Spent all my childhood in Worksop so my old man used to take me to Hillsborough every other week.

But from the age of about 18 I moved around a fair bit - uni, jobs etc. 

About 7 years ago I got offered a job in Coventry which I took and have been living in Leicester ever since. My missus is from Loughborough so she's from down here.

Great post, something positive for once! Well I live in Nottingham area and get the same vibe, great to be associated with Sheffield. 

2 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

I’ve lived in Sheffield all my life and I love the city and our surrounding countryside. 

My my girlfriend is from a village near Matlock and she adores sheffield. 

I mean it’s a got everything you need and more on your doorstep. Sure I’d like to see even more investment in the city centre to put us on par with the likes of Leeds and Manchester but we are slowly getting there. 

As for the football, well to say we are the home of football for this country we are pretty poo at advertising it and selling it. 

Get theesen back to bed mozzy and make beautiful music with your girlfriend...

Or make a friend egg sandwich... whatever..

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, poite said:

I don't want to take any attention away from the rivetting 'whos going to be our next manager' threads but I thought I'd just post something a little different. 

I spent the day in Sheffield today with my wife and two kids. My son is 3 and my daughter is 1 so it's quite a drive for them as we live in Leicester. 

While the ladies were shopping I took the chance to take my son on the supertram and headed to Hillsborough. We got the new shirt which made my son's day and had a photo outside the ground. Having a son to take to Hillsborough has literally been my dream and it brought a lump to my throat. Seeing him in the blue and white outside our historic ground meant the world to me even on a Monday afternoon when there's no game on.

But I just wanted to comment on Sheffield really. It's been years since I've been to the city centre which has changed a lot since I was last there. Throughout the day I saw many people wearing the blue and white stripes but I also saw a couple wearing United shirts and a couple wearing Barnsley shirts. 

Yes, we hate United and they hate us, but I love that we have a two team city with a proper derby (not one of those fake ones like you get in L**ds). Both clubs unfortunately have a minority of idiots determined to let their side of the city down, but the majority I expect feel like myself and recognise that we are better for having United in our lives and they are better for having us. For the majority of us it brings out the best in both clubs.

But it made me think what a great city Sheffield is. I know we have our rivalry and there's certainly no love lost between us but I was really proud to be associated with a city where people of all our local teams wore their colours so openly and so proudly. It was fantastic to see so many young ones wearing the shirts of our local clubs.

Probably not the most interesting post you'll read but we all had a great day today so I just thought I'd share it.

And it's true.

Sheffield really is wonderful.

This maybe more of a reflection on Leicester 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SwellOwl said:

Great post, something positive for once! Well I live in Nottingham area and get the same vibe, great to be associated with Sheffield. 

Likewise. Sheffield is twice the city of Nottingham and my friends/family agree (despite liking the latter).

9 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Try walking from Ecco. Through Firth Park,  Page Hall, Firvale, Pitsmoor, Burngreave and on to the Wicker.

On occasions as a teenager on drunken nights out in town had to walk home to High Green. Never tried your route though , always stuck to Penistone/Halifax Road for some reason!

13 minutes ago, Salli said:

Likewise. Sheffield is twice the city of Nottingham and my friends/family agree (despite liking the latter).

Notts used to be nice 20 years ago..it’s slowly gone down hill 

Sheff’s not bad

8 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Notts used to be nice 20 years ago..it’s slowly gone down hill 

Sheff’s not bad

Past memories oft reflect kindly on places though?

Notts I think has the most amount of pubs per square mile of any city, an okay waterfront, a good sporting heritage (football/cricket esp), a castle (well, not really), an arena/rock city, attracts students and plays on the robin hood theme.

People are a little too quick to put places down sometimes imo

I think Sheffield is a great city. You have places like London Road where you get anything from Sushi to a gun-shot wound. We have Amey, and her friends, demonstraing thier arborical skills in open-air displays and proabably one of the best airports in the U.K. What's not to like :ph34r:

To be honest, I do think Sheffield is a great city (with regards to its city centre). There are some great areas of the inner city centre, like Tudor Square, the Winter Gardens and Peace Gardens and some great shopping precincts, like Fargate and the Moor (by great I mean layout and range of shops - there is something for everyone I guess). Yes, it needs to development in places, but show me a city that doesn't.

On top of that we have 2 amazing Uni's, one pushing new technological boundaries and the other at the leading edge of medical science, although both Hallam and Sheffield contribute so much more than this. We've a good transport infrastructure too, and some great parks on top. Good pubs, diverse eating place like on London Road and Ecclesall Road (and I do eat on both on occasions), and theatres too. And Tramlines. Not all of these things may be "your thing" but we have them.

We are attracting big engineering companies to the outskirts of Sheffield, thanks in large part to the Universities. We are attracting more commerce, althogh still we have small, but solid, engineering industry.

And then there is the football, and dive in to that, the people. Yes we might wear different colours, but one thing we understand about each other is the "love for our club" mentallity. But I do think the people of Sheffield are warm, friendly and humerous on the whole. One bad egg doesn't make.....and all that.

The biggest thing wrong with our city, crime/health & social care aside (like in all other places in the world) is our lack on an International airport. It is so poor, it is laughable.

• Thanks 1

All these comments a week after people travelled from all over the country to our city and loved every minute !

Worrall, Wadsley , Crookes,Crosspool ,Lodgemoor,Redmires,Fulwood,Millhouses , Ecclesall, Totley ,Bradway ,Dore ,Whirlow,........all reyt dumps !!! 

Some dour, negative tools on here

Edited by the monk

48 minutes ago, Rogers said:

This maybe more of a reflection on Leicester 

Also being a Wednesdayite living in Leicester, I can confirm that Leicester is a bit of a Sh*th*le. 

Its improving a little bit but there are parts of it......jesus they are rough.

Guest addedtime

Have a drive through Parson's Cross and Page Hall. That will re-calibrate your thoughts. Maybe a stroll through the Manor and Arbourthorne.

But, I was saying the other day, I DO absolutely love Sheffield. It does have a bit of everything.

I’m with you on this thread my friend... I love Sheffield too.... it’s probably because the only reason that I visit is to see the other love of my life, The Wednesday. I get there the day before the game, stay at the Leopold, have a nice supper in the square, barely sleep with excitement, get up the next day, catch the tram to the game with my wife, arrive impossibly early ( about midday) ,get back either miserable or elated, go to that trendy funky little cinema down the side street (ain’t got a cinema where I live ) then back home the next day.

As soon as I see Sheffield on the motorway signs my heart starts racing !

Im not saying that Sheffield should be a UNESCO heritage destination, but I flippin love it, lots of great people, good galleries and museums, some cool open spaces, and when you live on a tiny island that’s two miles long Sheffield is like the eighth wonder of the world.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, addedtime said:

Have a drive through Parson's Cross and Page Hall. That will re-calibrate your thoughts. Maybe a stroll through the Manor and Arbourthorne.

But, I was saying the other day, I DO absolutely love Sheffield. It does have a bit of everything.

All cities can point to their respective shitholes. Sheffield has just as many really nice areas as it does dumps.