Oh Sheffield is wonderful

Guest addedtime
2 hours ago, owls maniac said:

All cities can point to their respective shitholes. Sheffield has just as many really nice areas as it does dumps. 

Absolutely agree.

Guest The Horse

It all depends what you enjoy in your cities but I've been all over the world and I love how our home town is slowly finding it's identity again after the steel hangover.

Whilst most cities in the North try to copy Manchester which in turn wants to be a little London, Sheffield really does have an independent and arty personally to it that's very distinct to the others.

The centre has a vibrancy to it now with plenty of the spine of the city all connected up now.

We have the museums, theatres, a thriving music scene and with Kelham Island a treasure trove of independent bars, restaurants and shops.

I'm loving our city at the moment and glad it's not trying to copy the others.

4 hours ago, Rogers said:

Notts used to be nice 20 years ago..it’s slowly gone down hill 

Sheff’s not bad

You arent wrong, went Notts for races recently and I noticed how crappy the city is going. Good city for music and sport but definitely going downhill

Edited by unkastav

2 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Afraid the worst thing about sheffield is the Sheffielders . None of them seem to appreciate their own city.! I have recently had to have treatment for Prostate cancer and this has involved going from Buxton to either Stepping Hill, Stockport, and more recently The Christie in Manchester. I have no complaints about the quality of the treatment at either place (except for The Christie, and its chaotic Administration, but not the Nursing) and on my way have to travel through many so called 'beautiful' spots on the outskirts of Greater Manchester. Believe me, GM is a DUMP, especially compared with Sheffield.

I was brought up in Hoyland, Nr. Barnsley (what's happened to all the pit tips that surrounded the area), moved for work to Clowne, in Derbyshire for many years, similarly much improved, then finally for family reasons , to Buxton. You want to complain? We have a most beautiful Victorian Crescent that has been 'undergoing re-development since before I moved here 12 years ago, and is still boarded off!!! If I want to get to Sheffield , I have to go through Dove Holes, down Winnat's pass, along the beautiful Hope Valley, past Ladybower and up and over into Rivelin. Belie e me, Sheffield , like any other City , has its black spots, but you are quickly into beautiful countryside on its outskirts

Sheffielders, get your eyes open, put down your beer mugs, look up and around you, AND BE THANKFUL

By the way, added Time, there is no such thing s the parson being cross  - it's Parson Cross!

Think you are spot on there. Seems it's a Sheffielder trait to be glass half empty and to not flaunt what we've got. Sheffield City Centre is 20 mins drive from some of the most stunning countryside in the country, we really should shout about it- you can bet Manchester would.  

4 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

I think Sheffield is a great city. You have places like London Road where you get anything from Sushi to a gun-shot wound. We have Amey, and her friends, demonstraing thier arborical skills in open-air displays and proabably one of the best airports in the U.K. What's not to like :ph34r:

To be honest, I do think Sheffield is a great city (with regards to its city centre). There are some great areas of the inner city centre, like Tudor Square, the Winter Gardens and Peace Gardens and some great shopping precincts, like Fargate and the Moor (by great I mean layout and range of shops - there is something for everyone I guess). Yes, it needs to development in places, but show me a city that doesn't.

On top of that we have 2 amazing Uni's, one pushing new technological boundaries and the other at the leading edge of medical science, although both Hallam and Sheffield contribute so much more than this. We've a good transport infrastructure too, and some great parks on top. Good pubs, diverse eating place like on London Road and Ecclesall Road (and I do eat on both on occasions), and theatres too. And Tramlines. Not all of these things may be "your thing" but we have them.

We are attracting big engineering companies to the outskirts of Sheffield, thanks in large part to the Universities. We are attracting more commerce, althogh still we have small, but solid, engineering industry.

And then there is the football, and dive in to that, the people. Yes we might wear different colours, but one thing we understand about each other is the "love for our club" mentallity. But I do think the people of Sheffield are warm, friendly and humerous on the whole. One bad egg doesn't make.....and all that.

The biggest thing wrong with our city, crime/health & social care aside (like in all other places in the world) is our lack on an International airport. It is so poor, it is laughable.

Spot on. 

I lived in Glasgow for a few years and whenever friends come down visit they love Sheffield for it's unique heritage, down to earth residents and artsy bars/quality pubs. They also always comment on how cheap food/beer is. 

52 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Sheffield City Centre is 20 mins drive from some of the most stunning countryside in the country, we really should shout about it- you can bet Manchester would.  

Absolutely spot on. Thing is in Sheffield even if you’re in a shabby part of the city you’re never really that far away from a nicer part, just go over a hill into the next valley ( I appreciate  this theory gets more tricky on the eastern side ). The countryside on the western side of the city is as you say stunning and stretches almost into the city centre in places. I’ve lived away from Sheffield for over 20 years now but still love going home.

Dale Dyke Reservoir near Bradfield , 8 miles and 20ish minutes from the city centre.

355B14E9-6813-4A05-8D1A-5014604FC38D.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, oldowl67 said:

Absolutely spot on. Thing is in Sheffield even if you’re in a shabby part of the city you’re never really that far away from a nicer part, just go over a hill into the next valley ( I appreciate  this theory gets more tricky on the eastern side ). The countryside on the western side of the city is as you say stunning and stretches almost into the city centre in places. I’ve lived away from Sheffield for over 20 years now but still love going home.

Dale Dyke Reservoir near Bradfield , 8 miles and 20ish minutes from the city centre.

355B14E9-6813-4A05-8D1A-5014604FC38D.jpeg

Walk around Dale Dyke and then a pint in the Strines Inn.

Bliss. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

Think you are spot on there. Seems it's a Sheffielder trait to be glass half empty and to not flaunt what we've got. Sheffield City Centre is 20 mins drive from some of the most stunning countryside in the country, we really should shout about it- you can bet Manchester would.  

But isn't Manchester the same - just on the other side of the peak district?

27 minutes ago, apswfcowl said:

But isn't Manchester the same - just on the other side of the peak district?

I used to live in Manc city centre and think you would have to go through a lot of shitholes before you got out to the countryside. It feels a lot more built up around the centre.  

6 hours ago, The Horse said:

It all depends what you enjoy in your cities but I've been all over the world and I love how our home town is slowly finding it's identity again after the steel hangover.

Whilst most cities in the North try to copy Manchester which in turn wants to be a little London, Sheffield really does have an independent and arty personally to it that's very distinct to the others.

The centre has a vibrancy to it now with plenty of the spine of the city all connected up now.

We have the museums, theatres, a thriving music scene and with Kelham Island a treasure trove of independent bars, restaurants and shops.

I'm loving our city at the moment and glad it's not trying to copy the others.

sheffield is unique.

10 hours ago, Salli said:

Likewise. Sheffield is twice the city of Nottingham and my friends/family agree (despite liking the latter).

I like both cities, think both have their positives! Not struggling for a drink in Nottingham lol

11 hours ago, scilly owl said:

I’m with you on this thread my friend... I love Sheffield too.... it’s probably because the only reason that I visit is to see the other love of my life, The Wednesday. I get there the day before the game, stay at the Leopold, have a nice supper in the square, barely sleep with excitement, get up the next day, catch the tram to the game with my wife, arrive impossibly early ( about midday) ,get back either miserable or elated, go to that trendy funky little cinema down the side street (ain’t got a cinema where I live ) then back home the next day.

As soon as I see Sheffield on the motorway signs my heart starts racing !

Im not saying that Sheffield should be a UNESCO heritage destination, but I flippin love it, lots of great people, good galleries and museums, some cool open spaces, and when you live on a tiny island that’s two miles long Sheffield is like the eighth wonder of the world.

The Curzon cinema on George street; it's a gem. Sheffield's best kept secret.

32 minutes ago, Fast Forward said:

The Curzon cinema on George street; it's a gem. Sheffield's best kept secret.

That’s the one.

Last time we were in there a couple walked in just after the film had started carrying a tray of beers and the bloke walked right into the wall. It was more entertaining than the film .

Honestly wouldn't live anywhere else in the UK at the moment.

Kelham island is great, the real ale pubs in town are fab, the countryside is amazing, yes chap is a bit crappy but the new pub in the old HSBC should add something different...