Oh Sheffield is wonderful

8 hours ago, PortlandOwl said:

It pains me to say it but Leeds P1ss£s on Sheffield in terms of shops etc.

Leeds is better for nights out and shopping if your in your 20s /30s and single, but as an early 40 something I much prefer Sheff

On 29/07/2019 at 21:34, poite said:

I don't want to take any attention away from the rivetting 'whos going to be our next manager' threads but I thought I'd just post something a little different. 

I spent the day in Sheffield today with my wife and two kids. My son is 3 and my daughter is 1 so it's quite a drive for them as we live in Leicester. 

While the ladies were shopping I took the chance to take my son on the supertram and headed to Hillsborough. We got the new shirt which made my son's day and had a photo outside the ground. Having a son to take to Hillsborough has literally been my dream and it brought a lump to my throat. Seeing him in the blue and white outside our historic ground meant the world to me even on a Monday afternoon when there's no game on.

But I just wanted to comment on Sheffield really. It's been years since I've been to the city centre which has changed a lot since I was last there. Throughout the day I saw many people wearing the blue and white stripes but I also saw a couple wearing United shirts and a couple wearing Barnsley shirts. 

Yes, we hate United and they hate us, but I love that we have a two team city with a proper derby (not one of those fake ones like you get in L**ds). Both clubs unfortunately have a minority of idiots determined to let their side of the city down, but the majority I expect feel like myself and recognise that we are better for having United in our lives and they are better for having us. For the majority of us it brings out the best in both clubs.

But it made me think what a great city Sheffield is. I know we have our rivalry and there's certainly no love lost between us but I was really proud to be associated with a city where people of all our local teams wore their colours so openly and so proudly. It was fantastic to see so many young ones wearing the shirts of our local clubs.

Probably not the most interesting post you'll read but we all had a great day today so I just thought I'd share it.

And it's true.

Sheffield really is wonderful.

Moved away from Sheffield many moons ago. I miss Devonshire Street on a Friday night, the Porter Cottage more so. Banter in the Nursery Tavern rarely became anymore than that, not sure what it's like these days. 

Caught up with my uncle last week - season ticket holder at the Lane but seemed more interested in talking about Steve Bruce. Blunts are a pain in the arse but when you've had to stomach Leeds fans as long as I have you realise they're not so bad. Probably cos they're from Sheffield.

The pubs here are nothing like back home either.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

22 hours ago, VBQ24 said:

Spot on. 

I lived in Glasgow for a few years and whenever friends come down visit they love Sheffield for it's unique heritage, down to earth residents and artsy bars/quality pubs. They also always comment on how cheap food/beer is. 

My current favourite partner (:ph34r:) is originally from Hemel Hempstead and her folks say the same thing pretty much. Friendly, lower on crime, cheaper housing, food and drink.

I live in Elsecar (in Barnsley for those who don't know) and it is a Herritage Village. Most Sunday's (and plenty of other days too) if I am working from or at home, I can hear the steam train whistling away and it's quite romantic in a way. We've 4 pubs in the village, plus a great bar Maison Du Biere, which sells an amazing range of beers, ciders, perry's and ales - drink in or take out. We can walk to 4 pubs that serve good food, ranging in price and quality. Three of these are actually no more than 5 minutes away, the other is about 15/20. There are other places to eat and drink which we can either drive to and leave the car, or catch a bus.

When I look out of the front bedroom windows I can see Wentworth in the distance, and in between are some great walks to Wentworth village and the grounds of Wentworth Woodhouse, the Elsecar Reservoir and park, where in the summer they have bands playing, and then the Herritage Centre itself, which has beers festivals (boy are these good!), antique and car fairs, and a host of cafés and shops.

And this is just a small village! Okay, the thread is about Sheffield, but these are the things that people from outside our region see and love about it. It makes me feel quite proud of our area and our people.

On 29/07/2019 at 21:52, vulva said:

Walked it recently from Dronfield to town, early morning. Through Woodsests, London Road, up the Moor. 

Its a dump, and when driving about, you don’t realise it. Suspect most big cities are the same. 

Working in Rhyl at the moment. Now that is a flipping dump. 

Sheffield is currently reinventing itself and is in a transition period. The recession really screwed up Sheffield’s regeneration plans such as Sevenstone however the new scheme called “Heart or the city 2” is now underway. Check this for more info, it’s £480 million worth of regeneration. https://www.heartofcity2.com/masterplan/

The Moor is much nicer these days and soon it will be even better once the new bowling alley opens and the other new new shops open, the Light cinema on the Moor is great, the peace gardens are nice, along with St Paul’s, Tudor Square, Millennium square etc. 

Kelham Island is a gem that Sheffield can be proud of, I really don’t get the negativity that some fellow Sheffielders have to say, I love our city and it’s definitely on the up.

Sheffield is currently reinventing itself and is in a transition period. The recession really screwed up Sheffield’s regeneration plans such as Sevenstone however the new scheme called “Heart or the city 2” is now underway. Check this for more info, it’s £480 million worth of regeneration. https://www.heartofcity2.com/masterplan/

The Moor is much nicer these days and soon it will be even better once the new bowling alley opens and the other new shops open, the Light cinema on the Moor is great, the peace gardens are nice, along with St Paul’s, Tudor Square, Millennium square etc. 

Grade A Office take up is currently at an all time and there’s plenty of office developments in the pipeline which is good news for the city as it means more businesses and jobs for the city. There’s a countless number of private residential sachems in the pipeline for the city centre too. The more people living in town the better as it means more footfall and more money spent on the shops and local businesses.

There’s also the massive “West Bar Square” scheme that’s been approved and hopefully construction will begin soon.

Sheffield has some fantastic independents too, great pubs and nice bars.

Yes there are areas that need serious investment such as Castlegate and Fargate needs some love however there are plans and hopefully they will come to fruition. 

Kelham Island is a gem that Sheffield can be proud of, I really don’t get the negativity that some fellow Sheffielders have to say, I love our city and it’s definitely on the up.

Edit: Double post as it wouldn’t let me edit my original post lol

Edited by ohgoditsjames

19 minutes ago, JoshTheOwl said:

Working in Rhyl at the moment. Now that is a flipping dump. 

I've heard the hotel rooms are cheap though, especially if you sneak in and out via the fire exit. :ph34r: