Oh Sheffield is wonderful

1 hour ago, oldowl67 said:

On occasions as a teenager on drunken nights out in town had to walk home to High Green. Never tried your route though , always stuck to Penistone/Halifax Road for some reason!

Done the walk when I'd missed last bus. Thought I'd save the taxi money.

Half way through Burngreave at 3am it's amazing how your priorities change.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, poite said:

I don't want to take any attention away from the rivetting 'whos going to be our next manager' threads but I thought I'd just post something a little different. 

I spent the day in Sheffield today with my wife and two kids. My son is 3 and my daughter is 1 so it's quite a drive for them as we live in Leicester. 

While the ladies were shopping I took the chance to take my son on the supertram and headed to Hillsborough. We got the new shirt which made my son's day and had a photo outside the ground. Having a son to take to Hillsborough has literally been my dream and it brought a lump to my throat. Seeing him in the blue and white outside our historic ground meant the world to me even on a Monday afternoon when there's no game on.

But I just wanted to comment on Sheffield really. It's been years since I've been to the city centre which has changed a lot since I was last there. Throughout the day I saw many people wearing the blue and white stripes but I also saw a couple wearing United shirts and a couple wearing Barnsley shirts. 

Yes, we hate United and they hate us, but I love that we have a two team city with a proper derby (not one of those fake ones like you get in L**ds). Both clubs unfortunately have a minority of idiots determined to let their side of the city down, but the majority I expect feel like myself and recognise that we are better for having United in our lives and they are better for having us. For the majority of us it brings out the best in both clubs.

But it made me think what a great city Sheffield is. I know we have our rivalry and there's certainly no love lost between us but I was really proud to be associated with a city where people of all our local teams wore their colours so openly and so proudly. It was fantastic to see so many young ones wearing the shirts of our local clubs.

Probably not the most interesting post you'll read but we all had a great day today so I just thought I'd share it.

And it's true.

Sheffield really is wonderful.

I was a bit disappointed that you didn't point out the way home for the Barnsley lads 

They are a decent bunch but just a little bit thick

And their mother won't even know they have been missing

After all, she's only got 12 fingers

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

5 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

And yet, can still only count to 7 lol

And no I don't live in Barnsley. I live in Elsecar, North Sheffield.

FFS!

Two questions

If you live in Elsecar

Why have you got Chapeltown in your user name

And is your name David

Just now, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Two questions

If you live in Elsecar

Why have you got Chapeltown in your user name

And is your name David

I'm a well travelled man. I lived in the Far East, well Norwich as they call it, but whatevs, and exotic locations like High Green and now Elsecar. My parents moved long-haul from Scholes in Rotherham to Chapeltown when I was 2, and so that's the first part of my user name.

I'm not called David, although if the price was right big boy......:biggrin:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

I'm a well travelled man. I lived in the Far East, well Norwich as they call it, but whatevs, and exotic locations like High Green and now Elsecar. My parents moved long-haul from Scholes in Rotherham to Chapeltown when I was 2, and so that's the first part of my user name.

I'm not called David, although if the price was right big boy......:biggrin:

Hahaha

I know a Wednesdayite in Elsecar called David but I've never asked him if he posts on here

6 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Hahaha

I know a Wednesdayite in Elsecar called David but I've never asked him if he posts on here

There are quite a few around here. I've only been living here for 5 years but I know a good 20 or so, and more just by face rather than name. If he goes to away matches with "The Queens" then I've probably met him.

There are obviously Barnsley fans too. The guy across the road from me is the Chiropodist at Barnsley and we have some great banter. He's a good source for inside info too! He's a top bloke to be fair. And my window cleaners (from Hoyland) consist of a Liverpool fan, a Wednesdayite (the boss) and a Barnsley fan, who thought it was funny to write BARNSLEY FC, backwards, in soap-suds on my living room window. And then leave it! To be honest, my kind of humour so I p!ssed myself laughing and he did come back 5 minutes later and clean it. Good craic.

Edited by ChapSmurf

1 minute ago, ChapSmurf said:

There are quite a few around here. I've only been living here for 5 years but I know a good 20 or so, and more just by face rather than name. If he goes to away matches with "The Queens" then I've probably met him.

There are obviously Barnsley fans too. The guy across the road from me is the Chiropodist at Barnsley and we have some great banter. He's a top bloke to be fair. And my window cleaners (from Hoyland) consist of a Liverpool fan, and Wednesdayite (the boss) and a Barnsley fan, who thought it was funny to write BARNSLEY FC, backwards, in soap-suds on my living room window. And then leave it! To be honest, my kind of humour so I p!ssed myself laughing and he did come back 5 minutes later and clean it. Good craic.

The David I know will be around 58 years old, he sometimes wears a trilby hat, he sits on the North Stand with his brother, not sure if he goes to away games.

The David I know will be around 58 years old, he sometimes wears a trilby hat, he sits on the North Stand with his brother, not sure if he goes to away games.

Is the hat on the small side? I know that sounds a silly thing to say but this image popped in to my head of someone in a small tribly. I don't think I know him though either way.

1 minute ago, ChapSmurf said:

Is the hat on the small side? I know that sounds a silly thing to say but this image popped in to my head of someone in a small tribly. I don't think I know him though either way.

Yeah a little bit

Yeah a little bit

I've most likely seen him then, and maybe remembered the hat. I guess it's very deliberate he's chosen it that way because it's obvious without looking daft.

I'm going to go out and stalk guys in Trilby's later and find out if they are called David. I've been wondering what I can do all day (to avoid working) and now look. A whole day of fun presents itself. lol

Afraid the worst thing about sheffield is the Sheffielders . None of them seem to appreciate their own city.! I have recently had to have treatment for Prostate cancer and this has involved going from Buxton to either Stepping Hill, Stockport, and more recently The Christie in Manchester. I have no complaints about the quality of the treatment at either place (except for The Christie, and its chaotic Administration, but not the Nursing) and on my way have to travel through many so called 'beautiful' spots on the outskirts of Greater Manchester. Believe me, GM is a DUMP, especially compared with Sheffield.

I was brought up in Hoyland, Nr. Barnsley (what's happened to all the pit tips that surrounded the area), moved for work to Clowne, in Derbyshire for many years, similarly much improved, then finally for family reasons , to Buxton. You want to complain? We have a most beautiful Victorian Crescent that has been 'undergoing re-development since before I moved here 12 years ago, and is still boarded off!!! If I want to get to Sheffield , I have to go through Dove Holes, down Winnat's pass, along the beautiful Hope Valley, past Ladybower and up and over into Rivelin. Belie e me, Sheffield , like any other City , has its black spots, but you are quickly into beautiful countryside on its outskirts

Sheffielders, get your eyes open, put down your beer mugs, look up and around you, AND BE THANKFUL

By the way, added Time, there is no such thing s the parson being cross  - it's Parson Cross!

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, Salli said:

Past memories oft reflect kindly on places though?

Notts I think has the most amount of pubs per square mile of any city, an okay waterfront, a good sporting heritage (football/cricket esp), a castle (well, not really), an arena/rock city, attracts students and plays on the robin hood theme.

People are a little too quick to put places down sometimes imo

Nottingham is 8th on list for most pubs per square mile.

12 hours ago, bladeshater said:

The city centre is a dump tho

Not been for ages, last time I went was the Euro 2016 for the beer, not been there shopping since turn of millennium.

Parking shocking and expensive, Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks much easier and cheaper for the motorist.

7 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

People moaning about Sheffield should come to Swansea,I'm classed as posh because I have a toilet that doesn't involve p1ss1ng in a bucket

Give me a minute and I will come up with and interesting sheep joke lol

For many years now, Sheffield City Centre has been 'car-unfriendly'. The City Fathers have believed for years that 'only posh folk drive motor cars', and have therefore wamped the Centre with buses. They have , however , made the roads into and across the city centre excellent , and provided Parking at or near bus or tram terminals..

13 hours ago, poite said:

I don't want to take any attention away from the rivetting 'whos going to be our next manager' threads but I thought I'd just post something a little different. 

I spent the day in Sheffield today with my wife and two kids. My son is 3 and my daughter is 1 so it's quite a drive for them as we live in Leicester. 

While the ladies were shopping I took the chance to take my son on the supertram and headed to Hillsborough. We got the new shirt which made my son's day and had a photo outside the ground. Having a son to take to Hillsborough has literally been my dream and it brought a lump to my throat. Seeing him in the blue and white outside our historic ground meant the world to me even on a Monday afternoon when there's no game on.

But I just wanted to comment on Sheffield really. It's been years since I've been to the city centre which has changed a lot since I was last there. Throughout the day I saw many people wearing the blue and white stripes but I also saw a couple wearing United shirts and a couple wearing Barnsley shirts. 

Yes, we hate United and they hate us, but I love that we have a two team city with a proper derby (not one of those fake ones like you get in L**ds). Both clubs unfortunately have a minority of idiots determined to let their side of the city down, but the majority I expect feel like myself and recognise that we are better for having United in our lives and they are better for having us. For the majority of us it brings out the best in both clubs.

But it made me think what a great city Sheffield is. I know we have our rivalry and there's certainly no love lost between us but I was really proud to be associated with a city where people of all our local teams wore their colours so openly and so proudly. It was fantastic to see so many young ones wearing the shirts of our local clubs.

Probably not the most interesting post you'll read but we all had a great day today so I just thought I'd share it.

And it's true.

Sheffield really is wonderful.

were they rummaging through bins?

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

Afraid the worst thing about sheffield is the Sheffielders . None of them seem to appreciate their own city.! I have recently had to have treatment for Prostate cancer and this has involved going from Buxton to either Stepping Hill, Stockport, and more recently The Christie in Manchester. I have no complaints about the quality of the treatment at either place (except for The Christie, and its chaotic Administration, but not the Nursing) and on my way have to travel through many so called 'beautiful' spots on the outskirts of Greater Manchester. Believe me, GM is a DUMP, especially compared with Sheffield.

I was brought up in Hoyland, Nr. Barnsley (what's happened to all the pit tips that surrounded the area), moved for work to Clowne, in Derbyshire for many years, similarly much improved, then finally for family reasons , to Buxton. You want to complain? We have a most beautiful Victorian Crescent that has been 'undergoing re-development since before I moved here 12 years ago, and is still boarded off!!! If I want to get to Sheffield , I have to go through Dove Holes, down Winnat's pass, along the beautiful Hope Valley, past Ladybower and up and over into Rivelin. Belie e me, Sheffield , like any other City , has its black spots, but you are quickly into beautiful countryside on its outskirts

Sheffielders, get your eyes open, put down your beer mugs, look up and around you, AND BE THANKFUL

By the way, added Time, there is no such thing s the parson being cross  - it's Parson Cross!

good luck with the health situation, I hope you can make a full recovery.