Oh Sheffield is wonderful

10 minutes ago, poite said:

I don't want to take any attention away from the rivetting 'whos going to be our next manager' threads but I thought I'd just post something a little different. 

I spent the day in Sheffield today with my wife and two kids. My son is 3 and my daughter is 1 so it's quite a drive for them as we live in Leicester. 

While the ladies were shopping I took the chance to take my son on the supertram and headed to Hillsborough. We got the new shirt which made my son's day and had a photo outside the ground. Having a son to take to Hillsborough has literally been my dream and it brought a lump to my throat. Seeing him in the blue and white outside our historic ground meant the world to me even on a Monday afternoon when there's no game on.

But I just wanted to comment on Sheffield really. It's been years since I've been to the city centre which has changed a lot since I was last there. Throughout the day I saw many people wearing the blue and white stripes but I also saw a couple wearing United shirts and a couple wearing Barnsley shirts. 

Yes, we hate United and they hate us, but I love that we have a two team city with a proper derby (not one of those fake ones like you get in L**ds). Both clubs unfortunately have a minority of idiots determined to let their side of the city down, but the majority I expect feel like myself and recognise that we are better for having United in our lives and they are better for having us. For the majority of us it brings out the best in both clubs.

But it made me think what a great city Sheffield is. I know we have our rivalry and there's certainly no love lost between us but I was really proud to be associated with a city where people of all our local teams wore their colours so openly and so proudly. It was fantastic to see so many young ones wearing the shirts of our local clubs.

Probably not the most interesting post you'll read but we all had a great day today so I just thought I'd share it.

And it's true.

Sheffield really is wonderful.

Are you a Sheffielder? if so what took you to Leicester? 

Genuine question by the way 

Edited by the monk

3 minutes ago, the monk said:

3 minutes ago, fatzooma said:

He went via Fleetwood

Thought via Belgium was the preferred route these days?

WTF:

1 minute ago, the monk said:

Spent all my childhood in Worksop so my old man used to take me to Hillsborough every other week.

But from the age of about 18 I moved around a fair bit - uni, jobs etc. 

About 7 years ago I got offered a job in Coventry which I took and have been living in Leicester ever since. My missus is from Loughborough so she's from down here.

• Thanks 1

Walked it recently from Dronfield to town, early morning. Through Woodsests, London Road, up the Moor. 

Its a dump, and when driving about, you don’t realise it. Suspect most big cities are the same. 

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

Walked it recently from Dronfield to town, early morning. Through Woodsests, London Road, up the Moor. 

Its a dump, and when driving about, you don’t realise it. Suspect most big cities are the same. 

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

Dronfield is quite nice though!

12 minutes ago, vulva said:

Try walking from Ecco. Through Firth Park,  Page Hall, Firvale, Pitsmoor, Burngreave and on to the Wicker.

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Ill be honest, im In total agreement. Never liked the city, for me its just not a nice place. Dirty, unorganised. Its just chuffing horrid. Its got nothing going for it. 

As you say most big citys are the same. 

Edited by Maddogbob