Odds For The New Manager

20 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

It seems to me that you can categorise most of the possible managers into groups to help narrow the process down.

1: Unrealistic or unlikely. GVB, Tedesco, Hughton. Nothing wrong with trying for these, but look elsewhere at the same time as we're probably wasting our time.

2: Multiple sacked, job hoppers. Rowett, Monk, Pulis, McLaren. Got the experience, been nearly men, but in most cases, achieved nothing for a long time.

3: Yesterdays men. Pardew, Megson, Hughes. Experienced, some success, a long time ago, but been found out.

4: Please god no! Zola (possibly Bullen). Proven failures or zero experience. 

5: Up and coming: Cowley, Cook, (possibly Bullen). Some success, but at a lower level, or limited championship experience.

6: Unknown foreigner. Tempting to put these under 4.

To me, it's limited to someone from groups 2 or 5.

The questions to answer then are whether you think, with our squad, with our financial constraints, can:

a job hopping nearly man step up, learn from the past, and achieve a promotion?

can an up and comer bridge the gap to a higher level, more pressured club, and continue his rise with a promotion at the higher level?

Answering these, I'm in the Rowett camp.

I'd stick the likes of Rowett and Monk into your category 4 of proven failures. Also the likes of Pulis and McLaren should be in your 3rd category of yesterday's men, of which you could add Ollie too.

Personally I don't see the appeal of the likes of Rowett or Monk. Other than that, I agree with your other points and categories. Even though, I'd hope we'd show more ambition and go for likes of your 1st category, I do agree that categories 2 and 5 are more likely. However, I'd hope we'd be more forward thinking and go for someone that suits your 5th category of on the rise/up and coming managers, instead of merely settling for someone from category 2.

I'd target categories 1 (ambitious and unrealistic) and 5 (on the rise/up and coming) and I'd avoid the rest.

Edited by The Night-Owl

4 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

For me Cowleys, cook or Bullen with Bullen retained irrespective of outcome !

Out of the managers on the rise in the EFL, Cook appeals to me too. Achieved promotions/titles, his teams play decent stuff, he knows the EFL and he can seemingly spot a bargain. I'd much prefer the likes of Cook; Neil, Stendel or the Cowley's, that have achieved promotions unlike the likes of Rowett and Monk.

Guest domSWFC

Put a tenner on Pesiero today at 25/1

Can see it being an appointment from left field now, and he fits the bill. 

Portuguese, managed Sporting and Braga like Carlos. Previously Assistant at Real Madrid, so must have good contacts. 

5 minutes ago, domSWFC said:

Portuguese, managed Sporting and Braga like Carlos. Previously Assistant at Real Madrid, so must have good contacts. 

Said this the other day but have you been how many teams he has managed? He makes Carlos look like Wenger. 

7 minutes ago, domSWFC said:

Isn't he about 70 too?

:ghoulguy:

57 minutes ago, domSWFC said:

Cant express how little enthusiasm I have for a foreign journeyman. Just a waste of time until they're sacked, several months after everyone but DC realises and were back at square one. 

8 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

The longer it goes on ,I Get the feeling Jos mark 2 is on his way.

In the space of less than a year we've gone from one manager who wouldn't quit even though the writing was cleary on the wall to a manager who quit even though everyone thought he could do nothing wrong. Football's a funny old game.

Jos reminds me of the Cristian Gross fiasco at Tottenham. No one had foreign managers back then, and it seemed they were punished accordingly.

Rowett price has hardened slightly today despite saying not contacted. Bullen price has come in Hughton and Pulis both drifted. Cowley price clipped in slightly others no movement or drifted. 

I have come to conclusion DC is undecided on which way to leap. feel his advisors has suggested some real prizes such as Coleman Peseiro, Morais Tekke Jol and Zola but think DC now wise to being slipped a donkey. He has asked for those with evidence of winning league and unfortunately none available with excellent recent experience who are affordable. 

Think he knows Bullens limitations also. 

28 minutes ago, Quist said:

Rowett price has hardened slightly today despite saying not contacted. Bullen price has come in Hughton and Pulis both drifted. Cowley price clipped in slightly others no movement or drifted. 

I have come to conclusion DC is undecided on which way to leap. feel his advisors has suggested some real prizes such as Coleman Peseiro, Morais Tekke Jol and Zola but think DC now wise to being slipped a donkey. He has asked for those with evidence of winning league and unfortunately none available with excellent recent experience who are affordable. 

Think he knows Bullens limitations also. 

interesting they will still take a £400  bet at 5/4