Odds For The New Manager

9 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Those wanting the yesterday's men (the likes of Pulis or Ollie, etc) or the serial failures with no promotions (i.e. the likes of Rowett or Monk) have no ambition and got sunstroke or something. The ones calling for managers who are unsuitable replacements, short-sighted or a bad fit, will probably be the first ones calling for their heads when they don't work out. The cycle will continue with short term thinking or lack of forward thinking or a bad fit. Hope we show some more ambition and/or forward thinking, and get it right, whoever we get. However, with a lack of pre-season, etc whoever gets it, whatever they calibre will need given a chance and support, due to the timing.

Why do we have to go for one out of work. Pick the one we want and then ask to speak to them. Of it costs DC then it costs him. Thats what he get compensation for

34 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Rowett is hardly a serial failure, the only place he hasn't had success is at Stoke and that's a club with problems.

So what success has he had then? Because I've missed the promotions on his CV and can only see a couple of play off failures at Burton and one at Derby. If it's mid table or outside the play offs or another play off failure we want, then he'll be a decent appointment but if it's promotion we want, then he's not the right man for the job.

37 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Why do we have to go for one out of work. Pick the one we want and then ask to speak to them. Of it costs DC then it costs him. Thats what he get compensation for

Exactly, but it seems like we're mostly only in for out of work managers, apparently? I wouldn't mind someone in a job already that's on the rise, instead of on the decline or a multiple failure. For instance someone like Cook or Neil, might be an interesting appointment.

There are some decent out of work managers on the list too, if we show some ambition. The likes of Hughton, Gio and Tedesco, appeal to me far more than settling for the likes of Pulis; Ollie, Rowett, Monk, Karanka, Zola and Coleman, etc to be honest. Yet, those seem out of reach or we're not ambitious enough or something to seemingly get the most suitable replacement, someone on the rise or someone high profile?

I don't see why we can't attract someone decent or show some ambition by appointing someone like Hughton; Jokanović, Cook, Neil, Gio or Tedesco, or a high profile coach/assistant, for example. The Championship is an attractive League, ever growing in stature and some decent managers have been drawn to it.

Edited by The Night-Owl

40 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Exactly, but it seems like we're mostly only in for out of work managers, apparently? I wouldn't mind someone in a job already that's on the rise, instead of on the decline or a multiple failure. For instance someone like Cook or Neil, might be an interesting appointment.

There are some decent out of work managers on the list too, if we show some ambition. The likes of Hughton, Gio and Tedesco, appeal to me far more than settling for the likes of Pulis; Ollie, Rowett, Monk, Karanka, Zola and Coleman, etc to be honest. Yet, those seem out of reach or we're not ambitious enough or something to seemingly get the most suitable replacement, someone on the rise or someone high profile?

I don't see why we can't attract someone decent or show some ambition by appointing someone like Hughton; Jokanović, Cook, Neil, Gio or Tedesco, or a high profile coach/assistant, for example. The Championship is an attractive League, ever growing in stature and some decent managers have been drawn to it.

Yes agreed, we want a manager who will get us playing in an entertaining way.  Most of those on the bookies list, will be too pragmatic in their approach.  Sure, there will be plenty on here, who say, they don’t care as long as we are successful.  Well why can’t we have both. We have a more talented group than United had, and Wilder got them promoted by playing entertaining football. 

1 hour ago, The Night-Owl said:

Your list is totally unrealistic 

Hughton doesn’t want the job

Jokanovic has a job paying millions in Saudi

Cook and Neil already have jobs where there hands aren’t tied behind their backs with FFP constraints 

GVB will wait for a better European job in a top league

Tedesco only managed 60+ games in the German top league and got sacked for underachieving at Schalke. Don’t see the attraction there either

30 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Cook and Neil already have jobs where there hands aren’t tied behind their backs with FFP constraints 

Tedesco only managed 60+ games in the German top league and got sacked for underachieving at Schalke. Don’t see the attraction there either

I know they're unrealistic or unlikely but that's my point. Why merely settle for the usual suspects; unappealing has beens, failures or multiple sacked, job hoppers, etc? When, we could be smarter, more ambitious and forward thinking or something instead? Like, I said, there are decent managers out there out of work or in work, abroad or already over here. They may seem unlikely, however the Championship can attract decent managers and I'd rather us show some ambition. Instead of merely settling for the likes of Rowett; Monk, Coleman or Zola, etc who have achieved nothing or settling for a yesterday's man like Pulis, Pardew or Ollie, who've done little of note for years.

Edited by The Night-Owl

1 hour ago, yeadonowl said:

Tedesco took Schalke from a relegation threatened club to runners up and champions league in one season despite selling his top players and having to promote youth players all while playing good football, be surprised if we can entice him here, he's well out of our league.