Odds For The New Manager

Getting very worried now we have come to the start of season with no Manager in Place. Think Lee can do a job in the short term  and would rather have him than the some of the people mentioned.

Come on Big Chant give us something and give us a lift as i'm fed up with seeing predictions of relegation by some media.

3 minutes ago, Terryowl said:

Getting very worried now we have come to the start of season with no Manager in Place. Think Lee can do a job in the short term  and would rather have him than the some of the people mentioned.

Come on Big Chant give us something and give us a lift as i'm fed up with seeing predictions of relegation by some media.

Can look at it two ways, firstly we did some free transfer business early and the squad have been togerher all pre season with plenty of time to work with the coaches.

On the other hand, we've no manager, therefore no vision for how we want to play for the season ahead, important for a team already without any footballing identity. Consequently we've been inactive during the transfer window, during what was a crucial window after years of stagnation. 

I do like DC, but feel the club are taking the wee wee out of every fan who's bought a ticket for Reading, Barnsley to watch an unfinished product. I understand the Bruce scenario, but we've had 3 weeks and can't think of any other club who has or would be so dilatory in preparing for the start of a season. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, striker said:

Can look at it two ways, firstly we did some free transfer business early and the squad have been togerher all pre season with plenty of time to work with the coaches.

On the other hand, we've no manager, therefore no vision for how we want to play for the season ahead, important for a team already without any footballing identity. Consequently we've been inactive during the transfer window, during what was a crucial window after years of stagnation. 

I do like DC, but feel the club are taking the wee wee out of every fan who's bought a ticket for Reading, Barnsley to watch an unfinished product. I understand the Bruce scenario, but we've had 3 weeks and can't think of any other club who has or would be so dilatory in preparing for the start of a season. 

Completely agree. To go into a new season without a manger in place is ridiculous and unacceptable, especially as we have had 3 weeks to get on this.

A complete lack of football knowledge at the top has left us in this crazy position.

We are going to be in transition once again after the season has started.

Kiss goodbye to any chance of promotion this year i'm afraid.

UTO

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Yes agreed, we want a manager who will get us playing in an entertaining way.  Most of those on the bookies list, will be too pragmatic in their approach.  Sure, there will be plenty on here, who say, they don’t care as long as we are successful.  Well why can’t we have both. We have a more talented group than United had, and Wilder got them promoted by playing entertaining football. 

Even if you are right, which I doubt. talent is just a small part of being an effective player.

Pace, athleticism, strength, strong minds, will to win, professionalism , playing the ref are all play big parts of being an effective player.

Most of the things managers don’t have time to install in the players , they either have them or they don’t. Too many of ours don’t.

6 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

With the exception of Hughton, not seen anyone apart from the usual recycled crowd that impresses.

Very happy to keep Bullen until a candidate of the right caliber is 

If that what happens sky might be right

9 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

With the exception of Hughton, not seen anyone apart from the usual recycled crowd that impresses.

Very happy to keep Bullen until a candidate of the right caliber is available.

And for example if we lose tomorrow, maybe the same against Barnsley will you still be happy to keep Bullen and wait patiently? 

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

And for example if we lose tomorrow, maybe the same against Barnsley will you still be happy to keep Bullen and wait patiently? 

We won't loose either of these games let alone both.  A poor return imo would be 4 points.

In my view, the key thing for Bullen is that he has the support of Westwood, Hutch, Bannan and Fletcher - these are clearly all big characters within the dressing room with top level experience.  

If they’re all willing to run through brick walls for him, then I’d expect the rest of the team to follow suit. 

Tomorrows performance should make things clearer.   

1 hour ago, Pinky said:

Completely agree. To go into a new season without a manger in place is ridiculous and unacceptable, especially as we have had 3 weeks to get on this.

A complete lack of football knowledge at the top has left us in this crazy position.

We are going to be in transition once again after the season has started.

Kiss goodbye to any chance of promotion this year i'm afraid.

UTO

Don't think there is a plan - or has been one at any point.

I may well be wrong but it’s starting to appear that DC doesn’t know what to do who who to appoint.

He is currently abroad and I get a sense that if he just ignores it, puts Bullen in charge temporarily the situation will disappear.

As has been stated, most clubs would have got on the front foot and dealt with it in a week/10 days or so.

Some people views will differ but imo it’s put us in a really sh*tty postion at the start of the season.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

37 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Totally this - if we lose people’s views on Bullen will completely change.

I still can’t believe some are happy for us to start the season with a caretaker with a very patchy record at best.

The current situation is farcical 

3 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

I know they're unrealistic or unlikely but that's my point. Why merely settle for the usual suspects; unappealing has beens, failures or multiple sacked, job hoppers, etc? When, we could be smarter, more ambitious and forward thinking or something instead? Like, I said, there are decent managers out there out of work or in work, abroad or already over here. They may seem unlikely, however the Championship can attract decent managers and I'd rather us show some ambition. Instead of merely settling for the likes of Rowett; Monk, Coleman or Zola, etc who have achieved nothing or settling for a yesterday's man like Pulis, Pardew or Ollie, who've done little of note for years.

It seems to me that you can categorise most of the possible managers into groups to help narrow the process down.

1: Unrealistic or unlikely. GVB, Tedesco, Hughton. Nothing wrong with trying for these, but look elsewhere at the same time as we're probably wasting our time.

2: Multiple sacked, job hoppers. Rowett, Monk, Pulis, McLaren. Got the experience, been nearly men, but in most cases, achieved nothing for a long time.

3: Yesterdays men. Pardew, Megson, Hughes. Experienced, some success, a long time ago, but been found out.

4: Please god no! Zola (possibly Bullen). Proven failures or zero experience. 

5: Up and coming: Cowley, Cook, (possibly Bullen). Some success, but at a lower level, or limited championship experience.

6: Unknown foreigner. Tempting to put these under 4.

To me, it's limited to someone from groups 2 or 5.

The questions to answer then are whether you think, with our squad, with our financial constraints, can:

a job hopping nearly man step up, learn from the past, and achieve a promotion?

can an up and comer bridge the gap to a higher level, more pressured club, and continue his rise with a promotion at the higher level?

Answering these, I'm in the Rowett camp.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

It seems to me that you can categorise most of the possible managers into groups to help narrow the process down.

1: Unrealistic or unlikely. GVB, Tedesco, Hughton. Nothing wrong with trying for these, but look elsewhere at the same time as we're probably wasting our time.

2: Multiple sacked, job hoppers. Rowett, Monk, Pulis, McLaren. Got the experience, been nearly men, but in most cases, achieved nothing for a long time.

3: Yesterdays men. Pardew, Megson, Hughes. Experienced, some success, a long time ago, but been found out.

4: Please god no! Zola (possibly Bullen). Proven failures or zero experience. 

5: Up and coming: Cowley, Cook, (possibly Bullen). Some success, but at a lower level, or limited championship experience.

6: Unknown foreigner. Tempting to put these under 4.

To me, it's limited to someone from groups 2 or 5.

The questions to answer then are whether you think, with our squad, with our financial constraints, can:

a job hopping nearly man step up, learn from the past, and achieve a promotion?

can an up and comer bridge the gap to a higher level, more pressured club, and continue his rise with a promotion at the higher level?

Answering these, I'm in the Rowett camp.

Think it's a bit harsh to bracket Rowett in with Pulis and McLaren! Pulis should be in Yesterday's men and McLaren should be in Please God no! Think Rowett belongs in a merge of Multiple sacked, job hoppers and Up and coming as he's still young in management terms, and he's had success in terms of improving teams/clubs.

I want proven like Hughton, or an exciting unknown at this level in GVB, but I'd have no problem with Rowett.

I suppose there are two alternatives.

We have chosen a new manager who will be finalised and announced when DC is back or

We haven’t a clue , not very far through the appointment process and Bullen will be caretaker for a while 

Take your pick

Just now, oldishowl said:

I suppose there are two alternatives.

We have chosen a new manager who will be finalised and announced when DC is back or

We haven’t a clue , not very far through the appointment process and Bullen will be caretaker for a while 

Take your pick

I keep swaying from one to the other on an hourly basis.

1 hour ago, Big Jack said:

Very happy to keep Bullen until a candidate of the right caliber is available.

well who would that be ? if only hughton is the only one who impresses you . if another manager becomes available in next 2-3 weeks it will because he is a failure and joins that list of pullis,karanka, moyes  . rowett a year ago would have cost 4 million compo ,he is available for nowt ,his wages will be cheaper than bruce and he was successful in his 3 jobs before stoke . interview him today chansiri if your back ,let him watch reading game . start work Monday . or it becomes a farce, what club does Disneyland/universal studios while his football club has no manager? there aint one apart from us.