Chris Hughton

8 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

He got them up and kept them up.

..what else were these fans expecting? 

Anything beyond that is fantasy. One of my faves to go down next season.

..as and when they do, be interesting to hear their views on Hughton then.

Tbf, the footballing was dire, and there was never a plan b.  I get why Brighton were done, as classy a gent Hughton is.

Hughton inherited a terrible team in the Championship that were in the bottom 3 at the half-way point. He kept them up that season, almost got automatic promotion the next, secured automatic promotion with 3 games to spare the following season, and then consolidated all that by achieving safety fairly comfortably in the first Premier League season.

Something happened in the second season around the turn of the year. Nothing was in the pubic domain, but you could clearly see a difference on the pitch. I think the reason he wasn’t kept on for this coming season was the fear that the terrible form from Jan to May (and it really was terrible) would carry on next season, not dissimilar to Huddersfield in the second half of 17/18 and into last season. 

Anyone that says he’s an inherently defensive manager is talking out of their arse. The football by Brighton in 15/16 and 16/17 was scintillating, and they were capable of turning a penalty box clearance into attack (and often a goal) in the blink of an eye. He is however realistic, and he knew that the players capable of employing those tactics in the Championship would get destroyed doing the same against some of the best players in the world. 

18 hours ago, George said:

As I have said elsewhere. Chris Hughton is a really classy operator, a proper gentleman and I would love to have him at Wednesday, in fact he could take us up and pass Brighton and Newcastle coming the other way.

And the pigs.....

Guest gizowl
20 minutes ago, Terry one leg said:

Did i say it did? I just don't get this love in with him, all i recall was them playing with width having quick players and full backs that attacked. Far better managers out there for me.

One that's done the business and is available.

Any appointment at any club is a gamble. There is no guarantee of success no matter who you bring in. 

SB was a terrific appointment imo, really got the fans believing we had our best chance of success under a manager who’d done it numerous times. Alas there aren’t many around like SB that’s available. 

I hope DC learnt from the Jos debacle and appoints someone with some success on his CV in this league. Hughton ticks that box, not sure there’s many others about. But still, CH wouldn’t mean any guarantees of promotion. 

He gets my vote

Edited by Essix Blue

1 minute ago, Essix Blue said:

Any appointment at any club is a gamble. There is no guarantee of success no matter who you bring in. 

SB was a terrific appointment imo, really got the fans believing we had our best chance of success under a manager who’d done it numerous times. Alas there aren’t many around like SB that’s available. 

I hope DC learnt from the Jos debacle and appoints someone with some success on his CV in this league. Hughton ticks that box, not sure there’s many others about. But still, CH wouldn’t mean any guarantees of promotion. 

He gets my vote

Totally agree. He’s the stand out candidate and he should be the first person we speak to. Chansiri will know him due to our battles with Brighton and he will be able to work with Hughton - he’s a consummate professional and a man of integrity.

Guest gizowl
2 minutes ago, Terry one leg said:

Because you can only go up if you have a manager that's done it before. Shall we use that logic for players too?

Totally different, we've got a decent squad,3 or 4 additions ideally and 3 or 4 out, but your manager gets the team to perform consistently to their potential throughout the season and prepares them tactically and formation wise.

I've always had plenty of time for Chris Hughton.

No matter the result, he always seemed to come across as a decent bloke when having to face the media straight afterwards.

I get the impression that he's more than a fair bloke to work for.

• Like 2

Guest gizowl
6 minutes ago, Terry one leg said:

Not different at all. No manager guarantees going up and neither do players.

Correct, guarantee, but you do everything possible to give yourself the best possible chance, and the choice of manager is vital. 

3 hours ago, Terry one leg said:

Hi Chris, hardly scintillating though was it? 

Two seasons of regularly destroying teams by 3 or more goals and turning goal-line blocks into counter attacks and goals was quite exciting. 

• Like 2