Chris Hughton

2 hours ago, JOHNHARKES said:

12th July : Steve Bruce leaves to join Newcastle United as manager.

25th July : Chris Hughton appointed new Sheffield Wednesday manager.

30th October : Steve Bruce sacked as Newcastle boss.

3rd November: Chris Hughton appointed new Newcastle manager after guiding Wednesday into the top 3 after a strong start.

7th November: Steve Bruce appointed Sheffield Wednesday manager.

It's the Wednesday way. 

Once you go Black.......

N White Stripes 

You don't come back...........

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

I would have probably preferred Hughton over Bruce had the former been available last January.

That's not to say that Bruce hasn't exceeded expectations and done a really good job since being appointed but, at the time, I think that Hughton would have been the better option.

Wouldve been great. Hughton in, without a month at the cricket, storm the league, top two. Pigs miss out in play offs. Swap rhodes for maupay and finish mid table in prem. this cider at the cricket is strong:Sid:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

Hughton in every full season he’s managed in the Championship. 

09/10 1st Newcastle

11/12 4th Birmingham

15/16 3rd Brighton (Same points as 2nd)

16/17 2nd Brighton

He is the absolute stand out candidate for the job, his Championship record is incredible. 

Can’t be argued with, fantastic record! 

Although his Championship record is very good and he's proven like Bruce. That might work but let's not just look at the positives. There are some negatives or doubts too?

Such as his style is duller than Bruce's; there worryingly seemed like little fight, passion or a plan B once things started to go wrong at Brighton last season. 

If this season isn't going to now be a write off after Bruce has gone and left us in the lurch just before the season starts. The next appointment as to not only be the right one but more than short term? The way I see it, to get it right, DC's got two options. Appoint someone with some Championship experience (for continuity) or go more long term and go after a highly rated lower league manager on the rise? I'd personally stay clear of managers abroad that have no EFL coaching experience.

7 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Although his Championship record is very good and he's proven like Bruce. That might work but let's not just look at the positives. There are some negatives or doubts too?

Such as his style is duller than Bruce's; there worryingly seemed like little fight, passion or a plan B once things started to go wrong at Brighton last season. 

If this season isn't going to now be a write off after Bruce has gone and left us in the lurch just before the season starts. The next appointment as to not only be the right one but more than short term? The way I see it, to get it right, DC's got two options. Appoint someone with some Championship experience (for continuity) or go more long term and go after a highly rated lower league manager on the rise? I'd personally stay clear of managers abroad that have no EFL coaching experience.

Duller than Bruce’s, they annihilated us down at Brighton in the play offs.

9 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

There are negatives with everyone, last season at Brighton was probably a year too much. Big Jack left us and said if you stay too long players stop listening to you, there are a number of managers that have a few good seasons and then it implodes on them does not stop them being a good manager and sometimes a change of club is what they need. If we do get him lets hope this is the case. I am still hoping Ashley tells Bruce he has nowt to spend got to work with loans and Bruce gets the next train back.

Just now, bronxowl said:

Duller than Bruce’s, they annihilated us down at Brighton in the play offs.

So you missed last season then? When the chips were down, it struck me how there was no fight or plan B and how drab they were to watch. Yes, they were good at this level and whilst things were going well in the top flight. But last season it seemed eerily like Carlos or Jos, once things went wrong. Over defensive possession football going nowhere, little fight or way of changing things? 

On one hand he could be the ideal, proven like for like experienced replacement and that could work. On the other hand there are some doubts too.

Guest gizowl
3 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

So you missed last season then? When the chips were down, it struck me how there was no fight or plan B and how drab they were to watch. Yes, they were good at this level and whilst things were going well in the top flight. But last season it seemed eerily like Carlos or Jos, once things went wrong. Over defensive possession football going nowhere, little fight or way of changing things? 

On one hand he could be the ideal, proven like for like experienced replacement and that could work. On the other hand there are some doubts too.

Let's worry about the prem when, if we get there. 

3 minutes ago, Jakes Grandad said:

There are negatives with everyone, last season at Brighton was probably a year too much. Big Jack left us and said if you stay too long players stop listening to you, there are a number of managers that have a few good seasons and then it implodes on them does not stop them being a good manager and sometimes a change of club is what they need. If we do get him lets hope this is the case. I am still hoping Ashley tells Bruce he has nowt to spend got to work with loans and Bruce gets the next train back.

Yeah, like you said, a change of scenery can sometimes refresh a manager and be what they need once things go stale. Don't get me wrong, is level of proven experience is ideal and on a par with Bruce. In that respect he could be ideal and could work. Personally I'm in two minds after the disappointment of losing Bruce. On one hand going for someone similar with proven Championship experience could be ideal but also on the other hand, perhaps we need refreshing and start thinking long term? To me there's two sensible options that DC could make that might work. One being going for proven Championship experience again or thinking long term and building with a younger lower league manager or EFL manager on the rise? Whatever DC does, this next appointment is crucial that it's right or sensible, if the season isn't going to be another write off?

15 minutes ago, gizowl said:

Let's worry about the prem when, if we get there. 

The getting there is the hard part. I'd love for us to finally go up after all these years. We could either go for it short term or build for it longer term? Either way could work but after being left in the lurch by Bruce, the next appointment as to be not only right but the right fit more than short term. If this season isn't going to be another write off and if the futures going to be bright. That's why I'm in two minds, about either going proven Championship experienced again or freshening things up with a more long term plan with a younger EFL manager on the rise? Both options might work and be more sensible than going abroad for someone with no EFL experience or little EFL knowledge? Both options have risks but I can see positives in going for either way about it.

Edited by The Night-Owl