16 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

But the point is the teams with money to spend from parachute payments aren’t the ones being successful. People think spending large sums of money equivocates to success and that’s not true.

Does Stoke spending that money make the market inflated? I think that just made Stoke poor in the market, it’s like the old saying having more money than sense. 

For example the 2 automatically promoted teams last year Norwich and Sheffield United both had to sell players to the Premier league to then fund signings last summer. Norwich sold both Maddison to Leicester and Murphy to Cardiff. United sold Brooks to Bournemouth.

Norwich were still receiving parachute payments, weren't they?

Fulham are knackered for next 2-3 years, in a right state squad- and wages-wise. Worse than we’ve been last few years unless they go straight back up. Which they won’t.

Hector’s not daft, if he does end up there it’s because of family ties and nowt else. It’ll be a hard decision for him, I’m confident of that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

I’ve been out all afternoon, had 5 excellent pints of beer, just got in and ordered a takeaway. Some of you need to learn to enjoy the close season. I hope Hector will be our player, but if he ain’t he ain’t. @ me when we actually really know something. xxx

Absolutely all we can do.  Wednesday goes on.

11 hours ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

I’ve been out all afternoon, had 5 excellent pints of beer, just got in and ordered a takeaway. Some of you need to learn to enjoy the close season. I hope Hector will be our player, but if he ain’t he ain’t. @ me when we actually really know something. xxx

Lightweight

:Sid:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

Lightweight.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Partly, but Fulham have been in the PL a few times and, like it or not, are seen as a bigger club than us. They are certainly viewed as more likely to be a PL club again before us.

The premier League part I'd probably agree on but I don't think anyone who knows anything about football sees Fulham as a bigger club than us. And that's not me wearing blinkers, I don't think Fulham are in the top 10 biggest sides in the championship.

I’m banking ( hoping !) on the fact that Hector really enjoyed his time at Wednesday, he made some good mates, his family also seemed to love the club, and he will be paid enough to go to the cinema and fill up his car.

Hopefully not all footy players are total mercenaries.... there’s still the old “ work life balance “ to consider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The best thing going for us in the hope of getting Hector back is how well he fitted in at our club and in our team. That shouldn't be underestimated, he's had numerous loan moves and never had the same impact elsewhere and never found a home apart from here. If he went to another club he might not fit in as well as he did here. Some players suit some teams but don't pull up any trees at others. It appears like he wants to return, the only thing stopping us is the soft embargo and finances. Sort the finances and soft embargo out or sacrifice one or two players and he'll be ours? As we speak, Fulham are preparing to bid £12mill for Brentford's Konsa. They will have other options besides Konsa and Hector. If Hector takes his time deciding what to do, in the hope of returning here, they will probably move onto another target?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Money talks though , parachute payments shout the loudest . I was under the impression these payments were to help with current players wages not help to rebuild , it does seem unfair .

I've been saying for years that parachute payments need to be a wage insurance system and nothing more. 

Prem teams register every new contract with the PL, including extensions for existing players and pay a premium of 5% of the wage for the insurance.

Upon relegation, the PL takes over paying 50% of the wage in the first season, 30% in the second season and 15% in the third. The money goes straight to the player and is never seen by the club.

The clubs still have something of an advantage, this is unavoidable on any scheme as they can have PL players at half the price of they are relegated, but there'll be no parachute payment war chest to spend on new players come relegation. They can't just offload the big earners and pocket the payments anyway. Once a player leaves they payments stop. 

Would maintain the security against high wages that parachute payments are, supposedly, intended for without creating the ridiculously unlevel playing field of the Championship.

22 hours ago, dorian gray said:

I think it's about time we stopped calling them 'parachute payments' as I can see no parachute, and called them what the FL and FA know they are, and call them 'CHEAT AND SWINDLE THE REST OF THE ****ING DIVISION WHILST TURNING A BLIND EYE PAYMENTS'.  

Said for ages they should be called trampoline payments.

No surprise to see Hector linked with other clubs.  He’s quality and will have plenty of potential suitors in the Championship.  And because of Chelsea’s transfer ban, they might even want to keep Hector as a squad player to utilise in the cup competitions.

Realistically, we probably won’t see Hector back as a Wednesday player this season IMO.  We’re currently still under an embargo, so there’s no guarantee we’d be able to register Hector to play this season anyway.

What an awful summer this is turning into for Wednesday.

1 hour ago, BRADDO said:

I'm wondering where the money is coming from to buy Hector because Chelsea will require a decent fee. We also appear to be under transfer restrictions. 

Must say I find it strange that DC said if we didn't get promoted we eould be in big trouble ,yet nothing seems to have changed apart from the out of contract players leaving 

14 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

The issue for me is they are coming down and paying ridiculous prices for bang average players, inflating the transfer market 10 fold. Look at Stoke last year spent over 60 million quid and paid massively over the odds. Thats why majority of clubs are struggling against FFP in my opinion.

I wish someone would pay us silly money for some of our 'stars'.

Stoke could do us a favour by taking Fessi for £10m, Reach for £15m, etc. ( Well I did say silly money).lol

Hector is the one player I desperately want us to sign, I’d be really disappointed if we don’t its vital we get him. Steadied the back was solid.  

23 minutes ago, prowl said:

I wish someone would pay us silly money for some of our 'stars'.

Stoke could do us a favour by taking Fessi for £10m, Reach for £15m, etc. ( Well I did say silly money).lol

Fair price if you ask me

23 hours ago, dorian gray said:

I think it's about time we stopped calling them 'parachute payments' as I can see no parachute, and called them what the FL and FA know they are, and call them 'CHEAT AND SWINDLE THE REST OF THE ****ING DIVISION WHILST TURNING A BLIND EYE PAYMENTS'.  

And then wonder why clubs break stupid rules and end up in an embargo position trying to compete