51 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

No surprise to see Hector linked with other clubs.  He’s quality and will have plenty of potential suitors in the Championship.  And because of Chelsea’s transfer ban, they might even want to keep Hector as a squad player to utilise in the cup competitions.

Realistically, we probably won’t see Hector back as a Wednesday player this season IMO.  We’re currently still under an embargo, so there’s no guarantee we’d be able to register Hector to play this season anyway.

What an awful summer this is turning into for Wednesday.

We've released six injury-prone and/or underperforming players; we've added some much-needed pace in key positions in Odubajo and Harris; we've recruited an experienced centre back who was captain at his previous club; we've added a key member of Alex Ferguson's fitness team who's as highly regarded as they come; and we've got a manager at the helm with more promotions on his CV than anyone else.

We were always going to struggle to sign Hector, embargo or not. This time last year, nobody on here was clamouring for his signing. If he signs elsewhere or stays at Chelsea, then that doesn't mean we've had an awful summer.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We've released six injury-prone and/or underperforming players; we've added some much-needed pace in key positions in Odubajo and Harris; we've recruited an experienced centre back who was captain at his previous club; and we've got a manager at the helm with more promotions on his CV than anyone else.

We were always going to struggle to sign Hector, embargo or not. This time last year, nobody on here was clamouring for his signing. If he signs elsewhere or stays at Chelsea, then that doesn't mean we've had an awful summer.

I didn’t say we’ve had an awful summer.  That’s putting words in my mouth.

And while I take on board the valid points you mention, I’d say there are more areas of concern than positives right now.  Could all change like.  I’ll leave it at that.

Edited by Westfield Owl

19 minutes ago, Half time Bovril said:

Hector is the one player I desperately want us to sign, I’d be really disappointed if we don’t its vital we get him. Steadied the back was solid.  

Prepare to be disappointed then, thanks to ludicrous spending by CC and/if not more so DC’s advisors etc. If it wasn’t for that we’d be able to pay out a good few million for him. I’m sure Bruce will have something up his sleeve as he’s already brought in Broner and stated 3-4 more. 

7 minutes ago, We'llNeverBeMastered said:

It'd be the most Wednesday thing ever if we let him slip to another championship side and help them go up while we suffer another mid table mediocre season.

What do you mean "let him"? :blink:

We can't stop him like he's not our player. All we can do is try to tempt him within the constraints that exist which doesn't look too promising. C'est lavee and all that.

14 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

And while I take on board the valid points you mention, I’d say there are more areas of concern than positives right now.  Could all change like.  I’ll leave it at that.

I didn't say you did. That little conditional 'if' is all important, as usual.

You seemed to be suggesting that Hector not signing was contributing to this becoming an awful summer for Wednesday; I was simply pointing out that even if he doesn't sign, I don't reckon we'll have had an awful summer.

Might not even be in for him now we’ve signer Börner. We really don’t know so why start setting your pants about it.  Next summer we may be saying what a signing Börner was. 

Guest Willow Owl
12 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

But the point is the teams with money to spend from parachute payments aren’t the ones being successful. People think spending large sums of money equivocates to success and that’s not true.

Does Stoke spending that money make the market inflated? I think that just made Stoke poor in the market, it’s like the old saying having more money than sense. 

For example the 2 automatically promoted teams last year Norwich and Sheffield United both had to sell players to the Premier league to then fund signings last summer. Norwich sold both Maddison to Leicester and Murphy to Cardiff. United sold Brooks to Bournemouth.

Three of the teams you mentioned - Cardiff, Norwich and Fulham were only out of the premeir league 3/4 seasons before they got promoted again. So had the time to use parachute payments and rebuild. The others agreed, but Wolves and Brighton bought there way out and would have been in massive FFP trouble if they had failed. The only 2 who really were successful on a shoe string were the Blades and Huddersfield.

Regarding Stoke, say 2 clubs were in for a player Stoke and say us. We offer 5 million and 40k a week. They offer 7 million and 50k a week, for us to get the player we have to over inflate the market to get him and risk FFP, they just use the failure payments without the risk.That's the benefit and downside to parachute payments.

Just my opinion

13 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Three of the teams you mentioned - Cardiff, Norwich and Fulham were only out of the premeir league 3/4 seasons before they got promoted again. So had the time to use parachute payments and rebuild. The others agreed, but Wolves and Brighton bought there way out and would have been in massive FFP trouble if they had failed. The only 2 who really were successful on a shoe string were the Blades and Huddersfield.

Regarding Stoke, say 2 clubs were in for a player Stoke and say us. We offer 5 million and 40k a week. They offer 7 million and 50k a week, for us to get the player we have to over inflate the market to get him and risk FFP, they just use the failure payments without the risk.That's the benefit and downside to parachute payments.

Just my opinion

Only 2 teams were successful on a shoe string? Norwich had to sell 2 players to find their signings last year. Cardiff won promotion signing players like Mendez Laing from league 1. Brighton bought their way out the league? The most they spent the season they went up was £4m on Shane Duffy and bought Glenn Murray hardly loads of money.

My original point is that spending big doesn’t equate to success and using Stoke as an example hardly makes any sense, they spent big last year for average players and this year are shopping in the free section. 

5 hours ago, We'llNeverBeMastered said:

It'd be the most Wednesday thing ever if we let him slip to another championship side and help them go up while we suffer another mid table mediocre season.

More of a hands tied situation than a “let him slip”. Chelsea will want good money for him, and Fulham can spend it. Unlike us. 

6 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

What do you mean "let him"? :blink:

We can't stop him like he's not our player. All we can do is try to tempt him within the constraints that exist which doesn't look too promising. C'est lavee and all that.

Dell_Boy_2013__63350.1502368809.jpg.6d08753aa09f91fc61453b4cbaee6188.jpg

old-toilet-in-dilapidated-lavatory-building-B0N63G.thumb.jpg.61d3e2e8675fd036b3b6edcb10c60c29.jpg

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

I think you're splitting hairs here

" I didn't say we've had an awful summer"

QUOTE "what an awful summer this is turning into for Wednesday"

He's hardly putting words in your mouth, is he?

Anyway only time will tell whether your/our concerns overshadow the positives. 

The monetary situation does give me cause for concern, but I honestly have no idea what's going on behind the scenes and hope Chansiri has somehow pulled a fast one, (great if it pi55es Gibson off!) if not worrying times ahead.

2 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

I think you're splitting hairs here

" I didn't say we've had an awful summer"

QUOTE "what an awful summer this is turning into for Wednesday"

He's hardly putting words in your mouth, is he?

Anyway only time will tell whether your/our concerns overshadow the positives. 

The monetary situation does give me cause for concern, but I honestly have no idea what's going on behind the scenes and hope Chansiri has somehow pulled a fast one, (great if it pi55es Gibson off!) if not worrying times ahead.

Wasn't splitting hairs at all actually.

• Haha 1

Guest Willow Owl
6 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

Only 2 teams were successful on a shoe string? Norwich had to sell 2 players to find their signings last year. Cardiff won promotion signing players like Mendez Laing from league 1. Brighton bought their way out the league? The most they spent the season they went up was £4m on Shane Duffy and bought Glenn Murray hardly loads of money.

My original point is that spending big doesn’t equate to success and using Stoke as an example hardly makes any sense, they spent big last year for average players and this year are shopping in the free section. 

As per your original post Cardiff, Fulham, Norwich have all benefited from parachute payments there is no denying this. Look further back with Brighton and the FFP and you will find that they would have been forecast to be at least 10 million short.

If you cannot see the link between Stoke city and inflating the transfer market then fine.

Agree to disagree 

Lets say we could take the umbongo and ffp out of the whole thing for just a minute. Isnt it still likely that we or someone else would still end up paying way over the odds for Hector in the current market? For 2 to 3 million id say it is doable and worth it. Recon its now more likely gonna cost somone 5 to 7 million to sign Hector though.

Clubs are expecting big fees for even the players they deem surplus. Look at us with Joao and Rhodes. While i do hope we sign Hector, i dont want it to be at a cost of us falling into the same trap that DC is now trying so hard to get us out of. If Chelsea want big money or a bidding war breaks out, we should look elsewhere and not get burned again by holding out for one player all summer and missing out on other options.