Huge 18 Months Ahead

As per the title, I think the club have a huge 18 months ahead in terms of the squad. Reason being not only those players that are out of contract this Summer but also those who's contracts expire in 2020. With any potential FFP or sustainability issues in the future it's critical we get the next batch of recruitment right.

Let's go with what we know for sure (I'm sure some will put me right on anything not right on dates - blame the worldwide web) this is how we currently stand based on those players currently in or around the first team squad.

K. Westwood   OOC 2019

C. Dawson   OOC 2020

J. Wildsmith

T. Lees

D. Iorfa

J. Van Aken

J. Thorniley

M. Fox   OOC 2020

L. Palmer   OOC 2019

D. Pudil   OOC 2019

M. Penney   OOC 2020

F. Nielsen   OOC 2019

A. Baker   OOC 2020

C. O'Grady   OOC 2019

B. Bannan

A. Reach

S. Hutchinson   OOC 2020

K. Lee   OOC 2019

D. Jones   OOC 2019

A. Abdi   OOC 2019

M. Matias   OOC 2019

J. Pelupessy   OOC 2020

G. Boyd   OOC 2019

C. Kirby   OOC 2020

J. Stobbs   OOC 2020

A. Hunt   OOC 2020

F. Preston   OOC 2019

S. Fletcher   OOC 2020

G. Hooper   OOC 2019

F. Forestieri   OOC 2020

J. Rhodes   OOC 2020

L. Joao   

A. Nuhiu   OOC 2020

S. Winnall   OOC 2020

Of those out of contract this Summer I'd only really look to try and tie down Westwood and Palmer - the rest haven't done enough for me to warrant it. As much as I'd love to offer Hooper and Lee new contracts we have to be really clever with any new deals considering that Bruce wants to work with a smaller squad. That would already leave us with a squad of 23 (bearing in mind that includes the likes of Baker, Hunt, Stobbs and Kirby).  A further 14 player only have contracts running up until 2020.

If we steer clear of any FA financial punishments we can expect an extremely busy time in the transfer market in the next year or so. In the short-term though it looks quite scary to think how scarce our squad could be in the near future.

• Thanks 2

I’d get rid of all our out of contract players bar Westwood and Palmer. Hooper and Lee would have to come back fit and do something spectacular to get a new reduced term contract.

We also need to sell a few - Big Dave, Rhodes and Fox would be at the top of my list but finding buyers may prove difficult. 

20 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

As per the title, I think the club have a huge 18 months ahead in terms of the squad. Reason being not only those players that are out of contract this Summer but also those who's contracts expire in 2020. With any potential FFP or sustainability issues in the future it's critical we get the next batch of recruitment right.

Let's go with what we know for sure (I'm sure some will put me right on anything not right on dates - blame the worldwide web) this is how we currently stand based on those players currently in or around the first team squad.

K. Westwood   OOC 2019

C. Dawson   OOC 2020

J. Wildsmith

T. Lees

D. Iorfa

J. Van Aken

J. Thorniley

M. Fox   OOC 2020

L. Palmer   OOC 2019

D. Pudil   OOC 2019

M. Penney   OOC 2020

F. Nielsen   OOC 2019

A. Baker   OOC 2020

C. O'Grady   OOC 2019

B. Bannan

A. Reach

S. Hutchinson   OOC 2020

K. Lee   OOC 2019

D. Jones   OOC 2019

A. Abdi   OOC 2019

M. Matias   OOC 2019

J. Pelupessy   OOC 2020

G. Boyd   OOC 2019

C. Kirby   OOC 2020

J. Stobbs   OOC 2020

A. Hunt   OOC 2020

F. Preston   OOC 2019

S. Fletcher   OOC 2020

G. Hooper   OOC 2019

F. Forestieri   OOC 2020

J. Rhodes   OOC 2020

L. Joao   

A. Nuhiu   OOC 2020

S. Winnall   OOC 2020

Of those out of contract this Summer I'd only really look to try and tie down Westwood and Palmer - the rest haven't done enough for me to warrant it. As much as I'd love to offer Hooper and Lee new contracts we have to be really clever with any new deals considering that Bruce wants to work with a smaller squad. That would already leave us with a squad of 23 (bearing in mind that includes the likes of Baker, Hunt, Stobbs and Kirby).  A further 14 player only have contracts running up until 2020.

If we steer clear of any FA financial punishments we can expect an extremely busy time in the transfer market in the next year or so. In the short-term though it looks quite scary to think how scarce our squad could be in the near future.

looking at that list,aven't we got some crap

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Junk Smuggler said:

K. Westwood   OOC 2019

C. Dawson   OOC 2020

J. Wildsmith

T. Lees

D. Iorfa

J. Van Aken

J. Thorniley

M. Fox   OOC 2020

L. Palmer   OOC 2019

D. Pudil   OOC 2019

M. Penney   OOC 2020

F. Nielsen   OOC 2019

A. Baker   OOC 2020

C. O'Grady   OOC 2019

B. Bannan

A. Reach

S. Hutchinson   OOC 2020

K. Lee   OOC 2019

D. Jones   OOC 2019

A. Abdi   OOC 2019

M. Matias   OOC 2019

J. Pelupessy   OOC 2020

G. Boyd   OOC 2019

C. Kirby   OOC 2020

J. Stobbs   OOC 2020

A. Hunt   OOC 2020

F. Preston   OOC 2019

S. Fletcher   OOC 2020

G. Hooper   OOC 2019

F. Forestieri   OOC 2020

J. Rhodes   OOC 2020

L. Joao   

A. Nuhiu   OOC 2020

S. Winnall   OOC 2020

Out of that lot id only offer new contracts to  Westwood, Palmer, Hutch , Fletch and Fessi 

1 hour ago, Junk Smuggler said:

K. Westwood   OOC 2019

C. Dawson   OOC 2020

J. Wildsmith

T. Lees

D. Iorfa

J. Van Aken

J. Thorniley

M. Fox   OOC 2020

L. Palmer   OOC 2019

D. Pudil   OOC 2019

M. Penney   OOC 2020

F. Nielsen   OOC 2019

A. Baker   OOC 2020

C. O'Grady   OOC 2019

B. Bannan

A. Reach

S. Hutchinson   OOC 2020

K. Lee   OOC 2019

D. Jones   OOC 2019

A. Abdi   OOC 2019

M. Matias   OOC 2019

J. Pelupessy   OOC 2020

G. Boyd   OOC 2019

C. Kirby   OOC 2020

J. Stobbs   OOC 2020

A. Hunt   OOC 2020

F. Preston   OOC 2019

S. Fletcher   OOC 2020

G. Hooper   OOC 2019

F. Forestieri   OOC 2020

J. Rhodes   OOC 2020

L. Joao   

A. Nuhiu   OOC 2020

S. Winnall   OOC 2020

If only Palmer and Westwood were to be retained, what do we think we will need to add to make sure we have a squad that can challenge? Assuming we continue to play 4-2-3-1, and we aren’t able to offload any of those still under contract, I can’t see us adding any more than 3 or 4 players. That would give us 25 players, plus the youngsters, the sort of size squad that Bruce wishes to have. 

My point is, if we want to significantly upgrade the squad, it will require some wheeling and dealing with some of those still under contract That’s where the challenge will be

Theres going to be some big name players looking for clubs on a free this summer. Fully expect us to use that market and the prem loan market to strengthen. That is of course if we are not under an embargo.

Embargo usually means signings on a 1 in and 1 out basis, and nobody on wages over 10k per week. Hard to attract quality on them terms, even if it is out of contract and looking for a club.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

If only Palmer and Westwood were to be retained, what do we think we will need to add to make sure we have a squad that can challenge? Assuming we continue to play 4-2-3-1, and we aren’t able to offload any of those still under contract, I can’t see us adding any more than 3 or 4 players. That would give us 25 players, plus the youngsters, the sort of size squad that Bruce wishes to have. 

My point is, if we want to significantly upgrade the squad, it will require some wheeling and dealing with some of those still under contract That’s where the challenge will be

Remember we'd also be losing an extra 4 players with the loans too. I'd imagine all of those would be able to replaced, with some good genuine quality.

9 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I’d get rid of all our out of contract players bar Westwood and Palmer. Hooper and Lee would have to come back fit and do something spectacular to get a new reduced term contract.

We also need to sell a few - Big Dave, Rhodes and Fox would be at the top of my list but finding buyers may prove difficult. 

Nuhiu and Fox are readily sellable because by and large they are fit. Both are reasonable squad players, and Nuhiu overall has outpaced expectations of a cheap import from a truly terrible league. Both could do fine at a decent tier three side.

But this is not going to shift much weight in the accounts

9 hours ago, gurujuan said:

That would give us 25 players, plus the youngsters, the sort of size squad that Bruce wishes to have. 

With a squad this size, lets hope SB can begin to sort the "injury jinx at S6" out sharpish!