Huge 18 Months Ahead

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:24, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Looking at the list below. So have plenty of other clubs. Slim pickings if we’re looking for free transfers in the Championship

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/every-championship-player-out-of-contract-this-summer-who-should-your-club-sign-1-9636874

Some good options in there if our recruitment team was to act fast and approach the players out of contract this summer before they get snapped up elsewhere. Hopefully we go for players of a good age, fit, not crazy wage demands and good championship know how this time round instead of final pay days for ex premiership names. Out of that list I wouldn't mind the left back Bidwell from QPR, Jamie Paterson from Bristol City, Michael Morrison or Tommy Elphick at centre back and Lee Gregory up front, pig or not.

12 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I don’t expect the overhaul this summer that a lot on here are expecting. However I expect the summer of 2020 to be a lot different.

When you say that, do you mean primarily incomings mate? If those out of contract leave, plus the loanees, that could already be 13 players leaving. Add, maybe a couple of sales, something that Bruce has hinted might happen, then we will surely have to bring in half a dozen or so. Of course a lot of those leaving, haven’t been involved recently, but quite a few will have been regulars. Personally, I wouldn’t want to see us bringing in more than that, as that sort of upheaval worries me

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

When you say that, do you mean primarily incomings mate? If those out of contract leave, plus the loanees, that could already be 13 players leaving. Add, maybe a couple of sales, something that Bruce has hinted might happen, then we will surely have to bring in half a dozen or so. Of course a lot of those leaving, haven’t been involved recently, but quite a few will have been regulars. Personally, I wouldn’t want to see us bringing in more than that, as that sort of upheaval worries me

The squad we have at the moment is capable of challenging for the play-offs. We've seen this in the past and most recently. What's cost us over the last 18 months or so are long term injuries to key players notably Forestieri, Hooper and Lee and bizarre team selections, the decision to freeze Westwood and Hutchinson in particular.

Our strength is defensive. When we've played the best defensive players available to us we've had a good defensive record and have been subsequently hard to beat.  You can go back as far as Stuart Gray's time in charge to see this.

The player that turns us from a solid side to a side that can challenge is Forestieri. Keeping him fit and available has to be a priority for Bruce going forward. Because the majority of our forwards are under contract for next season and there's unlikely to be any takers for them, we'll probably go with what we have now.

Keeping Hector or bringing in a replacement, bringing in more pace particularly on the flanks and someone in midfield who can share the workload with Hutchinson so there's less chance of him breaking down is the priority for me.

Of the out of contracts, I expect Westwood, Palmer and Boyd to be retained. Boyd knows the division, has played for Bruce before and he seems to trust him but there will be a few on here that will go mental at this prospect lol

9 hours ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Some good options in there if our recruitment team was to act fast and approach the players out of contract this summer before they get snapped up elsewhere. Hopefully we go for players of a good age, fit, not crazy wage demands and good championship know how this time round instead of final pay days for ex premiership names. Out of that list I wouldn't mind the left back Bidwell from QPR, Jamie Paterson from Bristol City, Michael Morrison or Tommy Elphick at centre back and Lee Gregory up front, pig or not.

Morrison 31

Elphick 31

Gregory 30

IMO most of those available represent other championship clubs getting rid of their dead wood. Good call on Bidwell though

On 11/03/2019 at 19:40, Junk Smuggler said:

Josh Vela

Moses Odubajo

Antoine Semenyo

Todd Cantwell

Jake Bidwell

Sam Morsy

On that link these are probably the only ones that I'd look at. Odubajo has played for Bruce before too remember.

Hands up for you’re footy knowledge. Having done a bit of digging those you’ve highlighted could be the sort of hungry ambitious players who might help us. Probably affordable and might see us as a step up.