Huge 18 Months Ahead

10 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

When was last time Wednesday didnt have a huge summer or 18 months ahead?

I can't really remember back in the days of the Prem I would think.  Before the arrival of DC, we were just happy to let the football current take us in whatever direction it decided.

With the introduction of the two new headhunters, yesterday makes me wonder if the decks are going to be swept clean.  So the next 18 months could be another roller coaster. 

Bring it on DC lol 

11 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

K. Westwood   OOC 2019

C. Dawson   OOC 2020

J. Wildsmith

T. Lees

D. Iorfa

J. Van Aken

J. Thorniley

M. Fox   OOC 2020

L. Palmer   OOC 2019

D. Pudil   OOC 2019

M. Penney   OOC 2020

F. Nielsen   OOC 2019

A. Baker   OOC 2020

C. O'Grady   OOC 2019

B. Bannan

A. Reach

S. Hutchinson   OOC 2020

K. Lee   OOC 2019

D. Jones   OOC 2019

A. Abdi   OOC 2019

M. Matias   OOC 2019

J. Pelupessy   OOC 2020

G. Boyd   OOC 2019

C. Kirby   OOC 2020

J. Stobbs   OOC 2020

A. Hunt   OOC 2020

F. Preston   OOC 2019

S. Fletcher   OOC 2020

G. Hooper   OOC 2019

F. Forestieri   OOC 2020

J. Rhodes   OOC 2020

L. Joao   

A. Nuhiu   OOC 2020

S. Winnall   OOC 2020

Looking at who’s contract is up in 2020 makes this summer even bigger. Surely we can’t go into the season with the likes of FF, Fletcher, Rhodes, Winnall out of contract in 12 months. Imagine losing all those on free transfers.

• Thanks 1

If anything this is a good thing.

Gives Bruce more freedom and scope to bring in his own players over the next 18 months.

Let's be honest the current squad is ageing and needs a good overhaul.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, striker said:

I see very few of our out of contract players being retained this summer or next, those who are will be in the minority.

Will be a very different looking team by the start of the 2020 season. 

That will probably be correct, regarding the out of contract players, but as most of them aren’t playing anyway, the team could look very similar. However, I’d be happy if we have 3 or 4 new starters when we kick off the new season. 

15 hours ago, Brando17 said:

looking at that list,aven't we got some crap

Looking at the list below. So have plenty of other clubs. Slim pickings if we’re looking for free transfers in the Championship

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/every-championship-player-out-of-contract-this-summer-who-should-your-club-sign-1-9636874

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Looking at the list below. So have plenty of other clubs. Slim pickings if we’re looking for free transfers in the Championship

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/every-championship-player-out-of-contract-this-summer-who-should-your-club-sign-1-9636874

Lots of ex prem mercenaries who will be looking for a final big pay day.

Hope we keep well clear of anyone over 28ish.

10 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Looking at who’s contract is up in 2020 makes this summer even bigger. Surely we can’t go into the season with the likes of FF, Fletcher, Rhodes, Winnall out of contract in 12 months. Imagine losing all those on free transfers.

Yeah that was my main reason for the post. We could be decimated in 18 months in terms of our current squad. Some of it is much needed I know. Still, it’s a very precarious time.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Of course we might not just lose the out of contract players, with the manager alluding to us, maybe, needing to sell a couple That probably won’t be the one we might want to go

i'm ok with that gurujuan    what concerns me is the future safety of the club   tbh i have faith that the address book of SB will get us a few replacements 

5 minutes ago, steelowl said:

i'm ok with that gurujuan    what concerns me is the future safety of the club   tbh i have faith that the address book of SB will get us a few replacements 

Not sure what area Debbie Clarke from 39 Wilmott Road will be able to improve? I take that back, she's nailed on for LB.

On 08/03/2019 at 12:24, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Josh Vela

Moses Odubajo

Antoine Semenyo

Todd Cantwell

Jake Bidwell

Sam Morsy

On that link these are probably the only ones that I'd look at. Odubajo has played for Bruce before too remember.

• Thanks 1

As I see it, the midfield area will be our biggest challenge. Five of the players who are out of contract, operate in this area, and although it’s true, most of them don’t play, we will still need to bring the squad numbers up Also, if we need to sell a couple of big names, as Bruce has alluded, most of the candidates are midfielders That could be a complete rebuild of the whole midfield.

On 07/03/2019 at 22:44, gurujuan said:

If only Palmer and Westwood were to be retained, what do we think we will need to add to make sure we have a squad that can challenge? Assuming we continue to play 4-2-3-1, and we aren’t able to offload any of those still under contract, I can’t see us adding any more than 3 or 4 players. That would give us 25 players, plus the youngsters, the sort of size squad that Bruce wishes to have. 

My point is, if we want to significantly upgrade the squad, it will require some wheeling and dealing with some of those still under contract That’s where the challenge will be

we'll not be playing 4-2-3-1, if were going to seriously challenge for a playoff place, then we'll need 2 up on more occasions than not. whilst 'clean sheets' are a massive plus, it's numerous goals that win games.

'clean sheet' you'll not lose, score 4 you're likely to win.

24 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

why is it 'frightening'? by looking at keeping westwood and palmer and releasing virtually the rest I see it as a  great opportunity for our manager to correct wrongs and refresh our ailing or ailed squad.

No me too, but that’s the simple part  The “frightening” part will be getting rid of the others who aren’t out of contract, and then securing the players we need to bring in What I mean is, that’s a lot of wheeling and dealing, with little or no budget The good thing is, we have the right manager to do this, but it’s still a lot of upheaval in a relatively short time

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No me too, but that’s the simple part  The “frightening” part will be getting rid of the others who aren’t out of contract, and then securing the players we need to bring in What I mean is, that’s a lot of wheeling and dealing, with little or no budget The good thing is, we have the right manager to do this, but it’s still a lot of upheaval in a relatively short time

i'm not too sure we'll be getting rid of many of those who are not out of contract, such as rhodes and winnall maybe of some decent impact sub, and injury cover use.

I imagine that dc will find a way to give bruce funds to strengthen, it may involve a deal with the ground, it's his club after all, NOT anyone else's. 

he'll like what he's seen so far from bruce, and be thinking with an 'injection' of cash in the 'attacking intent' area, then who knows what can be attained?

it maybe loans, it maybe signings, it's likely to be both, but with additions in m/f, wing and attack, we'd be a sizeable hammer in this division.

Edited by dorian gray
r