Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

28 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

The reason Rhodes wasn't successful with us is we didnt play to his strengths. Rhodes has scored goals when he had the supply from the wings of getting the ball early into the box rather than taking an age of going around the houses playing tippy tappy football that ends back where it started with Tom Lees.

We have loads of wingers

40 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

At which three teams has he struggled?

He's managed a decent average minutes per goal in this division for every club except Wednesday...

Norwich - 168 mins per goal

Wednesday - 360

Middlesbrough - 194

Blackburn - 164

For whatever reason, we're the only club who've failed to get a tune out of him.

Do we keep him for more of the same?

58 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

He never struggled last term? Far from it. He scored at a rate better than all bar one of our strikers and that despite many cameo appearances off the bench. 

47 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

At which three teams has he struggled?

He's managed a decent average minutes per goal in this division for every club except Wednesday...

Norwich - 168 mins per goal

Wednesday - 360

Middlesbrough - 194

Blackburn - 164

For whatever reason, we're the only club who've failed to get a tune out of him.

At Middlesbrough he was frozen out, tbf he did okay in the championship for them, but getting frozen out would suggest he struggled albeit in a higher league.

He struggled with us. And I’m sorry but there were games where he had plenty of chances created for him & he missed sitters. You can’t just blame the supply.

Last season at Norwich he scored 9 in 40 appearances, 3 of which were against Wycombe. He scored 2 goals since October. You consider that to be a success?

27 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Dont let the truth get in the way of a good witch hunt.  

I’m not on a witch hunt by any means. I like Rhodes and would love it if he got back into the team & found form. But he hasn’t shown any signs of his old form since Boro got promoted. I’ll be happy to be proved wrong.

21 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

At Middlesbrough he was frozen out, tbf he did okay in the championship for them, but getting frozen out would suggest he struggled albeit in a higher league.

He struggled with us. And I’m sorry but there were games where he had plenty of chances created for him & he missed sitters. You can’t just blame the supply.

Last season at Norwich he scored 9 in 40 appearances, 3 of which were against Wycombe. He scored 2 goals since October. You consider that to be a success?

I’m not on a witch hunt by any means. I like Rhodes and would love it if he got back into the team & found form. But he hasn’t shown any signs of his old form since Boro got promoted. I’ll be happy to be proved wrong.

Stating his goals vs appearances is hardly fair. But let’s play it your way. He made 40 appearances for a team that was automatically promoted last term and you suggest he struggled. 

I thought I was tired of my beloved club struggling but based on your statements I long to struggle some more! 

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

Ground sale will cover it anyway, DC probably sold it for at least 200 mill

Dunno about that! Would it cover Jones' salary?

DC has probably been speaking to the King of Thailand about selling the country to himself then using 1000 trillion baht to cover Jones' wages.

:Chansiri:

1 hour ago, 19owl08 said:

A goal every six league appearances when the average length of each appearance was 28 minutes is pretty decent, yes. If we can get him scoring at a similar rate to his strike ratio of a goal every 168 minutes of Championship football, then that will help no end, I'm sure.

Again, I'd say a goal every 194 minutes in this division for Middlesbrough is better than 'okay', and I'd be delighted if he could net a similar return for us over a full season. I'm not sure we'll keep him, but if we do, then he'll be a useful squad option if used in the right way.

I posted this in another thread, but it's relevant here: Rhodes has a very specific skillset, and one which can be very effective if used in the right way. You can ask him to be a link-up player, but he'll never be great at it. You can ask him to be a target man, but he'll be wasting his time on something which detracts from his natural attributes. He's a bit of an anachronism, but if you want to get the best out of Rhodes, he relies on reliable quality deliveries into dangerous areas. If you're not going to provide that, then he'll offer very little.

Unfortunately, we asked him to try to adapt his game in ways which are probably beyond him, and which certainly didn't play to his strengths.

Once it became clear this wasn't working, his form unsurprisingly deserted him, his confidence waned, and his performances suffered.

As I posted earlier in this thread, he's scored goals at a decent rate for every other team he's played for, and Norwich used him to good effect last season. We're the only team who've failed to get goals out of him in this division, suggesting the issue may have been something else to do with our setup at the time rather than Rhodes himself, at least in part.

2 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

We have no one who puts the ball in early enough, regularly enough, or with the quality required to actually find one of our own players

I know, i was being sarcastic. We dont have any

20 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I posted this in another thread, but it's relevant here:

Rhodes has a very specific skillset, and one which can be very effective if used in the right way.

You can ask him to be a link-up player, but he'll never be great at it. You can ask him to be a target man, but he'll be wasting his time on something which detracts from his natural attributes. He's a bit of an anachronism, but if you want to get the best out of Rhodes, he relies on reliable quality deliveries into dangerous areas. If you're not going to provide that, then he'll offer very little.

Unfortunately, we asked him to try to adapt his game in ways which are probably beyond him, and which certainly didn't play to his strengths.

Once it became clear this wasn't working, his form unsurprisingly deserted him, his confidence waned, and his performances suffered.

Screenshot_20190606-174532_Google.jpg.1b91e31c5e815ab33e9731c32a461082.jpg

• Haha 1

I dint want rhodes. For many reasons, we had lots up top and we badly needed a CB and a CM. 

Most importantly tho, he didnt suit the way we played. 

Wasnt surprised it didnt work but was surprised by how bad he was.

Had he been sold at any point in the last 2 yrs or so id have been well happy.

But that was then (with that squad)

And this is now, with a new manager and a squad being freshened up.

Were starting again arent we. So if SB wants to put him in his plans im quite excited about that, wont lose any sleep over it either way.

SB knows what hes doing. 

Let’s not kid ourselves that Rhodes was only kept out by the brilliance of Pukki The truth is, he couldn’t play that role, which is why he was never asked to do it. His goal ratio from the bench was pretty decent, which is probably why Norwich wanted to keep him. We already have someone with a better goals per minute ratio, that we can use from the bench, in Joao. If we have to choose, they both have similar goals per minutes ratio, so you look at what else they have to offer. This is where Joao wins hands down, he has more strings to his bow

Edited by gurujuan

46 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Let’s not kid ourselves that Rhodes was only kept out by the brilliance of Pukki The truth is, he couldn’t play that role, which is why he was never asked to do it. His goal ratio from the bench was pretty decent, which is probably why Norwich wanted to keep him. We already have someone with a better goals per minute ratio, that we can use from the bench, in Joao. If we have to choose, they both have similar goals per minutes ratio, so you look at what else they have to offer. This is where Joao wins hands down, he has more strings to his bow

Don’t buy into the Joao hype me, the lad needs to screw the nut and put in a lot more graft if he’s ever going to be consistent for me 

I’d sell him me, I won’t lie 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Don’t buy into the Joao hype me, the lad needs to screw the nut and put in a lot more graft if he’s ever going to be consistent for me 

Far from the finished item, and he may never be, but for the role Rhodes has been playing at Norwich, Joao is better

38 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

What you got against Lucas? doesn't he give thumbs ups or applauds crap passes?

• Haha 1