Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

20 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Bakary Sako released by Palace. I know wages will be a stumbling block, but if we could get a deal done we would be an ideal winger for getting service into the box.

Is he under 25?  I don't want Guru moaning about another player.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Didn’t Norwich sign Rhodes on loan with an agreement already in place for his permanent signing, should they decide to take up the offer at the end of the loan period?

In other words, a fee would’ve been agreed from the outset. So is it a case that Norwich now wish to renege on that, and screw us for a smaller fee?

Or have I misunderstood the arrangement?

Norwich want to pay a smaller fee we won't get £7m from anywhere, tell him they can have him for £4m but if they stay up they pay us another £1m and if they sell him on for more than they paid we get 25% of the fee.

If they think he is over priced at £7m they cannot think they will sell him on for anything like that but if he has 1 good season and scores into double figures we could end up with more than £7m. 

The £4m makes the accounts better then we save 32m on his salary and if Norwich stay up we get another £1m - wait a minute 4 + 2 + 1 = you guessed it WTF:

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Norwich want to pay a smaller fee we won't get £7m from anywhere, tell him they can have him for £4m but if they stay up they pay us another £1m and if they sell him on for more than they paid we get 25% of the fee.

If they think he is over priced at £7m they cannot think they will sell him on for anything like that but if he has 1 good season and scores into double figures we could end up with more than £7m. 

The £4m makes the accounts better then we save 32m on his salary and if Norwich stay up we get another £1m - wait a minute 4 + 2 + 1 = you guessed it WTF:

Can't see him being on more than David Jones. :Sid:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, striker said:

They have denied there was an agreement to buy, largely because it took so long to negotiate the loan deal with us. As usual, we don't comment. 

That said  understand why they are balking at £7m. Seems they see him more as a dressing room mascot than a first team starter  judging by their comments (much like we have Nuhiu).

You have found a solution to FFP. 7.2m for Ozzy Owl?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

I know it's in fashion to knock the club, but I suspect that we'd accept something like that but the stumbling block is that Norwich have decided to hoard their Premier League millions for "a premier league return" in 2020-21 season.

Stingy Norwich may well have offered less than £2m.

And wait a minute, 2 + 2 + 0 < you guessed it. Unacceptable, but...

4+ 2 + maybe 1 more, and a sell on clause = A deal.

A deal is there to be made, but we shouldn't just bend over and get spanked by Norwich to get any deal going. Norwich seem to be doing most of the public negotiations; perhaps that's because their position is least defensible.

18 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I know it's in fashion to knock the club, but I suspect that we'd accept something like that but the stumbling block is that Norwich have decided to hoard their Premier League millions for "a premier league return" in 2020-21 season.

A deal is there to be made, but we shouldn't just bend over and get spanked by Norwich to get any deal going. Norwich seem to be doing most of the public negotiations; perhaps that's because their position is least defensible.

It’s only fashionable with the same boring, negative, repetitive, pathetic, 7 or 8 non  Wednesdayite’s who infest this site pal.

The rest of us are Wednesdayite’s!

41 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

But if we don't get rid of him we will have to pay £2m a season for the next 2 years of his contract, then probably lose him for nothing. As we have been crap at selling players in the last 4 years.

Getting something for him and the saving on his wages is better than getting nothing, its not as if teams are lining the streets to sign him either.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, room0035 said:

But if we don't get rid of him we will have to pay £2m a season for the next 2 years of his contract, then probably lose him for nothing. As we have been crap at selling players in the last 4 years.

Getting something for him and the saving on his wages is better than getting nothing, its not as if teams are lining the streets to sign him either.

Unless SB thinks he can get him scoring again and aid us in our quest for promotion. Or if not promoted increases his value to what we are asking for.

58 minutes ago, room0035 said:

How do you define "crap at selling"?

To me selling on the cheap is just as crap as not selling at all. (I'm thinking of players with some sort of value here, not you're Abdi types).

The only player we've sold in recent years is Hunt for £1.6m. That transfer hardly suggests we hold out for stupid money. 

If Steve Bruce thinks he can get something from Rhodes, then we should hold out until/unless we get a higher amount. 

If Steve Bruce thinks Rhodes is useless then just getting him off the wage bill will be a positive, but jumping into a deal at the first (possibly ludicrous) offer would, imo, be crap selling.

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

And if we do get rid of him, his transfer fee becomes immediately payable rather than spread over the length of the contract I believe. So if we sold him for £4m, we would be £4m worse off in the P&S stakes

7 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

How do you define "crap at selling"?

To me selling on the cheap is just as crap as not selling at all. (I'm thinking of players with some sort of value here, not you're Abdi types).

The only player we've sold in recent years is Hunt for £1.6m. That transfer hardly suggests we hold out for stupid money. 

If Steve Bruce thinks he can get something from Rhodes, then we should hold out until/unless we get a higher amount. 

If Steve Bruce thinks Rhodes is useless then just getting him off the wage bill will be a positive, but jumping into a deal at the first (possibly ludicrous) offer would, imo, be crap selling.

We get offers for players don't sell them sit them in the stands for the rest of their contract pay there silly wages and let them leave on free.

or crap at selling at players at the right time to maximise either income or reduce costs.

5 minutes ago, Minton said:

And if we do get rid of him, his transfer fee becomes immediately payable rather than spread over the length of the contract I believe. So if we sold him for £4m, we would be £4m worse off in the P&S stakes

So instead we waste another £4m over the next two season because we don't want to lose money in the accounts.

If we signed him for £8m over 4 years and 2 years left on his contract then selling him for £4m means we are £2m better off for FFP, because we save on his wages and the £4m fee matches the £4m value in accounts.

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So instead we waste another £4m over the next two season because we don't want to lose money in the accounts.

If we signed him for £8m over 4 years and 2 years left on his contract then selling him for £4m means we are £2m better off for FFP, because we save on his wages and the £4m fee matches the £4m value in accounts.

I think this season (the 17/18 accounts year) is the first year that his transfer fee will apply, we didn't officially sign him until then as he was on loan.

He has the ability to score goals in this league (he showed it with Norwich last season) so the question is one of whether we think it's worth taking a chance on him scoring goals or if we think we can a) take the loss on him and b) think we can find a replacement for non silly money

Edited by Minton