Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

I am very happy we have Steve Bruce but the guy does not have a magic wand that will suddenly mean Rhodes will score 20+ goals and get us promoted, because we don't have the one think Rhodes needs - wingers to provide the chances for his goals. Rhodes has done nothing of note for 3 season.

But when he was scoring goals he played in a 4-4-2 and had changes being created for goals to be scored.

So we keep Rhodes, so his remaining transfer fee does not go in the account but we need to spend millions bringing  in wingers to provide the goals, or we get rid of Rhodes make a small loss but save on his £40,000 a week salary (including other wages expenses) and we don't have to sign two wingers. 

Edited by room0035

6 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

With or without Rhodes, we need wingers.

Whether or not they cost millions is the same if it is Rhodes, or Fletcher, or Nuhiu or anyone else in the middle waiting for crosses to come in.

I agree. There's nothing to stop Fletcher or Joao scoring more with wingers too. It's more a negative to Jordan Rhodes game if (as a lot are mentioning are here) he struggles to play without wingers.

1 hour ago, jp1981 said:

Unless SB thinks he can get him scoring again and aid us in our quest for promotion. Or if not promoted increases his value to what we are asking for.

He's not become a bad player overnight. However, he isn't worth the £4m we apparently still owe for him or the reported £2m per season wage. 

As an £8m drain on the budget over the next two seasons, think we need to mitigate this and negotiate a transfer, more likely with Norwich if a fee can be agreed. 

The player reportedly wants to stay there and Norwich keen, to a point. Nobody else shown any interest so once the market gets moving, might see some movement and I'd be surprised if we kept him out of choice. 

I'd love him to have worked out for us, but don't see it happening, could be another expensive mistake. 

Any Striker we play needs service. Rhodes was playing for league leaders who would have provided brilliant service and delivered 6 goals, the last of which was scored in January. Not exactly red hot form to bring him back to Hillsboro and expect him to do better at a mid table side. Yes he had lots of sub appearances etc etc but if was on loan somewhere less successful would he have even got 6 goals? I think if someone offers anything we need to remove his wages to be able to boost the rest of the squad. Boosting our overall squad is a better option in my opinion. But after saying all this i believe Norwich are just being polite and are not actually going to bid and my prediction is that he will be loaned to a league 1 club after pre season and before the end of the transfer window. I don't think clubs are queuing up to buy him, just like they weren't when we paid stupid money to buy him. I don't blame Rhodes, i blame the hierarchy as it was a silly move that didn't work out. I think best for all, including Rhodes, if we can find a club willing to take his wages and we all move on. But i think we are stuck with him so another loan to come IMO. As for what we do in the meantime, i think in Fletch, Fessi, Joao, Winnall, Nuhiu that we have enough to score goals, just need wingers and possibly another creative midfielder and away we go.

10 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

None of our strikers have been prolific. Can't just point the finger at Rhodes.

Indeed but we haven't had any offers for the other strikers, but have for Rhodes and none of the other strikers are on the wages that Rhodes is.

I would love to see a £ per goals for all of our strikers, since we have had then, Nuihu will probably be top of the list as I cannot think he is on more than £7-8k a week.

Another young central midfielder I would like us to take a look at is Barnet's Jack Taylor. 6'1'' central midfielder is part of Rep of Ireland U-20 side and already played over 80 times for Barnet. Wouldn't cost much and could earn us good money in the future.

I've seen him play only couple of times, but seemed to me well worth of taking a good luck at.

I hope the club have scouts at the under 21 championships in the next few weeks, could be a few good loan signing for next season, if not one or two rising players we might be able to sign who we could develop or even sell on for big profits in 12-18 months.

A lot of nations that we may not see regularly on tv with very good players.

Edited by room0035

1 hour ago, tarn owl said:

Any Striker we play needs service. Rhodes was playing for league leaders who would have provided brilliant service and delivered 6 goals, the last of which was scored in January. Not exactly red hot form to bring him back to Hillsboro and expect him to do better at a mid table side. Yes he had lots of sub appearances etc etc but if was on loan somewhere less successful would he have even got 6 goals? I think if someone offers anything we need to remove his wages to be able to boost the rest of the squad. Boosting our overall squad is a better option in my opinion. But after saying all this i believe Norwich are just being polite and are not actually going to bid and my prediction is that he will be loaned to a league 1 club after pre season and before the end of the transfer window. I don't think clubs are queuing up to buy him, just like they weren't when we paid stupid money to buy him. I don't blame Rhodes, i blame the hierarchy as it was a silly move that didn't work out. I think best for all, including Rhodes, if we can find a club willing to take his wages and we all move on. But i think we are stuck with him so another loan to come IMO. As for what we do in the meantime, i think in Fletch, Fessi, Joao, Winnall, Nuhiu that we have enough to score goals, just need wingers and possibly another creative midfielder and away we go.

But realistically which League 1 club could even support half of his current wages? Sunderland maybe ? He could be a good fit for them.

2 hours ago, Minton said:

And if we do get rid of him, his transfer fee becomes immediately payable rather than spread over the length of the contract I believe. So if we sold him for £4m, we would be £4m worse off in the P&S stakes

But we would save a massive amount in wages , so the hit wouldnt be anywhere near that .

8 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

But we would save a massive amount in wages , so the hit wouldnt be anywhere near that .

We'd still be spending at least half his wages on a replacement though surely?