Completely wrong approach to the game

9 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

20,30,40 mill apparently? Has a fantastic game every game  and creates loads and scores loads according to some (with fishy names). 

13 minutes ago, Brissy-owl said:

Absolute garbage, reach again w aaaank

As i said in the post about him worth sod all never been a prem player

Yeah, Reach was the problem :duntmatter:

Maybe Chelsea were just much better than us.....If we can’t get the ball we can’t attack, and if we hadn’t kept it tight at the back then Chelsea could have scored at will.....At least we weren’t embarrassed like Toytown against City or The Pigs losing at home to non league Barnet...

It wasn't great let's be honest.........but. Had we gone all out attack and been 4 down at half time owlstalk would've been in meltdown. Probably somewhere in between is the answer but it is difficult against a team like Chelsea. They have players that are worth more than our club. The gulf is massive. We're just not on their level. Simple. 

Agree with OP.  1-0 down at half time was the time to bring Fessi on with Fletcher and try to take it to em. The gulf in class was obvious though especially their first touch which always took it past a defender or turned them the wrong way. Hudson - Adoi especially and Willian. We were always second to the ball, always looked rushed in our passing and gave the ball away time after time because of this. Probably get away with some of it in the championship but not at their level. And we're so one paced its unreal, we look almost as though we are running to the beat of the same metronome...plod, plod, plod. And then big Dave comes on and it's lumber, lumber, lumber. Very disappointed with that showing.

Only thing left this season is to beat Billy Blunt and his mates.....can we....please!

22 minutes ago, Cheshowl said:

We should have taken the game to Chelsea today. We’d have probably got beat anyway but what’s the point in sitting in against a Chelsea side that you know you’re going to concede against. Think our players have been a bit cowardly in going forward too, seem too scared to make a run or play a killer pass. 

Completely agree, chelski were poor until late on..should have changed it round at 60/65mins. Why the foook the 'stand in couldn't see it foook knows

3 minutes ago, Owl Be Back said:

I don't think the setup at the start was wrong - keep it tight and see where you are at half time. However the changes should have been made at half time to try and take Chelsea by surprise and nick something. The with momentum on your side, anything can happen. Waiting to make those changes after the game was lost was just rubbish decision making from Agnew. Can't fault the players' effort for the most part but the lack of attacking options really meant there was only ever going to be one outcome. We should have had a go from half time onwards and at least try and get their keeper's shirt mucky.

Agree with this, chelsea put a strong side out and if we go toe to toe with them we're always gonna come off second best. 

Sit deep, frustrating them is fine and first half we largely did that. Where managers always go wrong with this approach is you have to change it as soon as you go behind you cant wait for the second goal to go in. FF and joao needed to come on at half time but for whatever reason managers always bottle it and wait to late to make the changes

Our shape looked better, just a shame it's a negative shape which only allows for defending in our own half. 

In a way v Chelsea could understand, because being more attacking leaves gaps and the game could have been over after 30 minutes.....in reality it was over anyway by then after the penalty and having conceded all attacking momentum to Chelsea, difficult to change.

I just hope that stupid 4141 formation is not at Bruce's dictat, because it just doesn't work.

They are a top team, but think we could have been bolder. 

Edited by striker

Negative tactics, obvious when pelupessy and Hutch on team sheet, subs should have been made at half time, once we were 2 down it was game over, I always say I don't mind losing to a better team, but lets have a go, I want to come out of a game when we lose thinking, okay we've lost but what a cracking game to watch. 

27 minutes ago, Cheshowl said:

We should have taken the game to Chelsea today. We’d have probably got beat anyway but what’s the point in sitting in against a Chelsea side that you know you’re going to concede against. Think our players have been a bit cowardly in going forward too, seem too scared to make a run or play a killer pass. 

I love this kind of statement...maybe for the 11 that played it isn’t that simple??

When a championship standard player comes up against an international player such as Willian with 60 plus Brazil caps, your game plan goes out of the window. 

31 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Agree:

can see the aense it keeping it tight for 15 to get a foothold but then we never went for it. Rather lose 3-0 having a go and being picked off then 1-0 (or 3/4 anyway) trying to snatch a draw.

Poor tactics

Joao should have been much earlier and played with Fletcher. Otherwise no goals.

31 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I agree it’s too conservative, I’d rather us go down fighting rather than playing for a replay

Agnew gave it away in the pre-match interview when he even mentioned the replay as if there was no chance of a win

I can understand the approach - it’s just not what i would do - I’m more concerned with the fact that we’ve been setting up in a similar fashion in the league TBH.

Clearly defensive. No point when the midfield has no composure or ability to hold the ball.

Had we “gone for it” we’d have been thrashed by 4 or 5 goals and then all these fans complaining about today’s game plan would be saying “you can’t just go for it away at Chelsea”.

We all saw the way they cut us open for their third when we started to chase the game, that’d have been much earlier and they’d have been out of sight by half time.

Were it not for a rush of blood to the head for Hutch, we’d have gone in at HT level, in fact Chelsea only had 3 shots on target all match.

The simple fact is, we just came up against a side with World class players throughout, none more so than Willian who showed today exactly why he’s a Brazilian international.

We are a bottom half Championship side and I think Agnew and the players could have done anymore today. No shame at all in today’s performance.