Completely wrong approach to the game

25 minutes ago, Rogers said:

I think they could have scored when they wanted to be fair, their brains and feet are are on another level

its a tough one, no one would have wanted a 6, 7,8 nil on tv

Yep, they were (as you’d expect) a class above. We couldn’t get near them and when we did they were on us quicker than we could think. The difference in quality was obvious. I would have made the subs earlier though, we were never going to score with just fletcher up top, reach and Boyd had to defend most of the time rather than support up front.

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

Had we “gone for it” we’d have been thrashed by 4 or 5 goals and then all these fans complaining about today’s game plan would be saying “you can’t just go for it away at Chelsea”.

We all saw the way they cut us open for their third when we started to chase the game, that’d have been much earlier and they’d have been out of sight by half time.

Were it not for a rush of blood to the head for Hutch, we’d have gone in at HT level, in fact Chelsea only had 3 shots on target all match.

The simple fact is, we just came up against a side with World class players throughout, none more so than Willian who showed today exactly why he’s a Brazilian international.

We are a bottom half Championship side and I think Agnew and the players could have done anymore today. No shame at all in today’s performance.

No shame at all. But worrying how little effect on the game the midfield had. Midfield holding a line the only way to make a game of it, esp as the defenders are on the slow side and get slower.

4 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Joao should have been much earlier and played with Fletcher. Otherwise no goals.

I personally would have gone with FF in place of JP and gone 4-4-1-1; with an option to make it 4-1-4-1 off the ball and play 5 yards higher as a team.

The thing with setting up to counter is you need to have a base position that actually allows you to counter 

Just now, fudge27 said:

I personally would have gone with FF in place of JP and gone 4-4-1-1; with an option to make it 4-1-4-1 off the ball and play 5 yards higher as a team.

The thing with setting up to counter is you need to have a base position that actually allows you to counter 

Agree no real countering. Thought FF looked a bit feeble and Joao more match fit and can outrun defenders

The aim was to get a positive result, not to avoid a heavy defeat, which we did anyway, or has everybody conveniently ignored that fact? I call 3-0 a heavy defeat.

3-0, 4-0, 7-0. What’s the difference in a cup tie?

Go for it and give yourself a chance. Sit back, and you aren’t giving yourself a chance of winning.

Why can’t people get this? It’s not a difficult concept.

5 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Had we “gone for it” we’d have been thrashed by 4 or 5 goals and then all these fans complaining about today’s game plan would be saying “you can’t just go for it away at Chelsea”.

We all saw the way they cut us open for their third when we started to chase the game, that’d have been much earlier and they’d have been out of sight by half time.

Were it not for a rush of blood to the head for Hutch, we’d have gone in at HT level, in fact Chelsea only had 3 shots on target all match.

The simple fact is, we just came up against a side with World class players throughout, none more so than Willian who showed today exactly why he’s a Brazilian international.

We are a bottom half Championship side and I think Agnew and the players could have done anymore today. No shame at all in today’s performance.

Spot on

11 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I love this kind of statement...maybe for the 11 that played it isn’t that simple??

When a championship standard player comes up against an international player such as Willian with 60 plus Brazil caps, your game plan goes out of the window. 

Agree. It's easy from the sidelines. Nobody wants a 6-0 beating. I understand the fans frustration. We've been convincing ourselves we've got a chance all week, then reality strikes and we're just not good enough. We set up for a draw. It's not all that negative when you think about the plan, which was try and get them back to Hillsborough and have a go. It is what it is, quality won the day.

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

Go for it and give yourself a chance. Sit back, and you aren’t giving yourself a chance of winning.

Why can’t people get this? It’s not a difficult concept.

A bottom half championship club sitting back against one of the best teams in the country, hoping to nick a goal or force a replay isn't a difficult concept either. 

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time, the top 5 prem team comes out on top whatever tactics you play, because they've got better players

1 minute ago, archieswfc said:

Agree. It's easy from the sidelines. Nobody wants a 6-0 beating. I understand the fans frustration. We've been convincing ourselves we've got a chance all week, then reality strikes and we're just not good enough. We set up for a draw. It's not all that negative when you think about the plan, which was try and get them back to Hillsborough and have a go. It is what it is, quality won the day.

100% we played a £250m plus side. 

49 minutes ago, Cheshowl said:

We should have taken the game to Chelsea today. We’d have probably got beat anyway but what’s the point in sitting in against a Chelsea side that you know you’re going to concede against. Think our players have been a bit cowardly in going forward too, seem too scared to make a run or play a killer pass. 

Last night , the team at the bottom of league one played a premier league team , probably expecting to get beat comfortably , but went out to attack and have a go , and won 4-2 . 

52 minutes ago, Cheshowl said:

We should have taken the game to Chelsea today. We’d have probably got beat anyway but what’s the point in sitting in against a Chelsea side that you know you’re going to concede against. Think our players have been a bit cowardly in going forward too, seem too scared to make a run or play a killer pass. 

Totally agree

I thought it was right for Jos to go..but if he'd have set up like that then lots of folk here would be playing merry hell...however at the end of the day we got well beat by a class side...glad it wasn't four or five though playing defensively like that ...that would have been proper embarrassing..