Completely wrong approach to the game

27 minutes ago, Eightace said:

There's cautious , then there's having no attack whatsoever.

We just allowed a second and third string Chelsea to line up and take turns to get behind us.

They didn't beat us with scintillating football but because we offered nothing.

If we'd gone toe to toe we might have still lost but it was embarrassing how we bent over. Not seen any other team do that against better opposition.

I think we should have played two up. What was Fletcher going to do on his own with everyone else so deep.

0-0 was the best we could have hoped for with that setup.

A second and third string Chelsea are still a million times better than us. But there were similarities to other games this season were we sat so deep. but in this instance it was the right thing to do. we were just unlucky a bad challenge from hutch and the var incident changed that.

I've seen games this season where the top few prem clubs line up to attack and basically destroy the other team. 

Our plan was working. We'd kept them out and fashioned a chance to score. Var saw to it that it came to nowt then we were caught napping a bit. Had we scored we'd have had something to hang on to. As it was we had to chase a bit so we had to leave gaps that they exploited. 

Some perspective needed today from a few. 

13 hours ago, Cheshowl said:

We should have taken the game to Chelsea today. We’d have probably got beat anyway but what’s the point in sitting in against a Chelsea side that you know you’re going to concede against. Think our players have been a bit cowardly in going forward too, seem too scared to make a run or play a killer pass. 

exactamundo

1 hour ago, Woodie said:

Your point is right, we did exactly the same in a Sheffield derby not so long ago which was even worse, all the football I watch I never see other sides penned inside there own half for 90 minutes. When we turned the ball over our first pass on every single occasion was sloppy. We really do struggle to pass the ball these days which is a major contrast from the great linking play of just a few years ago. Kieran Lee and Hooper both big parts in that. 

totally agree,should have had a real go at em,it's the cup,alot of Chelsea were young lads and we let 6,000 fans down..again

• Thanks 1

I'm personally quite disappointed with the way we approached that game.

I can see why Pessy was brought in to shore up the midfield and to hit them on the counter but he offered absolutely none of that. Not sure at the minute what he does offer us??

As a team there were no crunching tackles, no harassing the Chelsea midfield, no pressure on them in our half, it was all too negative and reserved. We should have been literally up their backsides the minute they were in our half

Also the game showed what we are missing. Pace and fecking bundles of if. We are so fecking one paced its unreal. Its practically walking football.

Bannan offered nothing in the game .. heck i didn't even see one of his 360 turns on the ball!!

Very disappointing performance that .. we could have offered em something like many of the other lower teams have given against higher up teams ..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eightace said:

We just allowed a second and third string Chelsea to line up and take turns to get behind us.

If we'd gone toe to toe we might have still lost but it was embarrassing how we bent over. Not seen any other team do that against better opposition.

I think we should have played two up. What was Fletcher going to do on his own with everyone else so deep.

The team offered nothing in attack. Replacing Matias with Joey isn't even another midfielder with pace and strength as Joey is lightweight as we all know. It was ridiculously defensive to have five midfielder esp when the quality is not improved. Much better to have someone to accompany Fletcher to play off him. Crazy tame approach.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I didn’t mind us keeping things tight first half, but what I did mind was the total lack of a plan B once we went behind. We needed to come out after half time and take the game to them, but Agnew didn’t put a team out capable of doing it and didn’t make the subs which could have changed that until it was far too late.

I got the feeling that while Agnew is holding the fort for Bruce he didn’t dare be as adventurous as he needed to be to get anything, from the game. Frankly it felt like an exercise in damage limitation, which was pretty frustrating for everybody who travelled down to back the team.

Agree. Mind you, Bruce not exactly attacking at Villa --see the play off final

12 hours ago, A12owl said:

We are worlds apart from the likes of Chelsea,Man City.

We were second best all night and there is no shame in that performance. We were only allowed to play as well as Chelsea allowed us. 

They closed us down.....we didn't

They retained the ball.......we didn't

They had pace all over the pitch....we didn't

They were clinical at finishing.....we didn't get many chances.

We were beaten by a better side.

No surprise. Disappointing yes.

Our tactics need a complete overhaul.

Agree. And converted into midfielder does not work as Reach shows all the time. He is a wide player. Bannan needs a mate.

8 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I'm personally quite disappointed with the way we approached that game.

I can see why Pessy was brought in to shore up the midfield and to hit them on the counter but he offered absolutely none of that. Not sure at the minute what he does offer us??

As a team there were no crunching tackles, no harassing the Chelsea midfield, no pressure on them in our half, it was all too negative and reserved. We should have been literally up their backsides the minute they were in our half

Also the game showed what we are missing. Pace and fecking bundles of if. We are so fecking one paced its unreal. Its practically walking football.

Bannan offered nothing in the game .. heck i didn't even see one of his 360 turns on the ball!!

Very disappointing performance that .. we could have offered em something like many of the other lower teams have given against higher up teams ..

The fight and spirit and running were all commendable but that's all

14 hours ago, Cheshowl said:

We should have taken the game to Chelsea today. We’d have probably got beat anyway but what’s the point in sitting in against a Chelsea side that you know you’re going to concede against. Think our players have been a bit cowardly in going forward too, seem too scared to make a run or play a killer pass. 

I'm guessing if we'd done that and lost 7-0 there'd have still be a thread from @Cheshowl called "Completely wrong approach" but that the content would've been different. 

It isn't just yesterday that we set up too deep and negatively, in fact we've done it most of the season away from home. 

Sitting deep and shadowing instead of getting in tackles and having people to pass to ahead of you will not win you many games - hence we are 17th. You need to attack to win games and we've stopped doing that for 2 seasons now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Daz said:

It isn't just yesterday that we set up too deep and negatively, in fact we've done it most of the season away from home. 

Sitting deep and shadowing instead of getting in tackles and having people to pass to ahead of you will not win you many games - hence we are 17th. You need to attack to win games and we've stopped doing that for 2 seasons now.

Agree. And we've hardly had an attack since FF made all our attacking play look good. We struggle to score a goal. 

• Thanks 1

I don't see how we could have done much else....Chase it earlier maybe...the "Chelsea 3rd string"??...Well one of our best players is not even a "Chelsea 3rd stringer" in Hector..So waddya do?

They were faster, better with the ball...It was hard, the first goal killed it really, the longer we held on  the less confident they would become....

Shout out to the Owls fans.....Never heard a single Chelsea chant all night....absolutely excellent support...If we could bring that to Hillsborough it could in some way make up for the lack of substance on the pitch

9 hours ago, Eightace said:

2nd & 3rd string lol 

………………………………..Argie GK at World Cup

Spain RB...…..Germany CB...….Danish CB, Really highly rated...Spains back up to Alba

…………………………………...Wonder kid

…………..WC runner up from Real...England International, was the next Gazza apparently

Youngster who Bayern have offered 35million for...…………..Brazil International.

…………………………There new number 9 from Juve, Argie International

How have we not beat that 2nd & 3rd string line up, Attack/Attack/Attack/Attack/Attack I reckon if wed have gone toe to toe they wouldn't have been able to live with us!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

2nd & 3rd string lol 

Spain RB...…..Germany CB...….Danish CB, Really highly rated...Spains back up to Alba

…………..WC runner up from Real...England International, was the next Gazza apparently

How have we not beat that 2nd & 3rd string line up, Attack/Attack/Attack/Attack/Attack I reckon if wed have gone toe to toe they wouldn't have been able to live with us!!!

I was disappointed nay depressed at our performance but that bit of perspective has actually cheered me up! Thanks. 

So long as we don’t set up like that for the next derby....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

I don't see how we could have done much else....Chase it earlier maybe...the "Chelsea 3rd string"??...Well one of our best players is not even a "Chelsea 3rd stringer" in Hector..So waddya do?

They were faster, better with the ball...It was hard, the first goal killed it really, the longer we held on  the less confident they would become....

Shout out to the Owls fans.....Never heard a single Chelsea chant all night....absolutely excellent support...If we could bring that to Hillsborough it could in some way make up for the lack of substance on the pitch

Glad to see some sensible posts over the last 24 hours. Owlstalk got on my t1ts last night.

Edited by archieswfc

1 hour ago, coopswfc76 said:

2nd & 3rd string lol 

I once got nearest the bull against the reigning world darts champion....it can be done.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, victorturner said:

Agree. Mind you, Bruce not exactly attacking at Villa --see the play off final

They were the division's third-highest scorers last season with 72 goals. When we reached the playoffs under Carlos, we scored 66 and 60.

21 hours ago, zzmdu said:

I don't think you understand football.

Setting up to 'not getting thrashed' isn't about aiming to lose 3 nil, rather than 6.

It's about keeping in the game as long as possible & hoping to nick it at end or get a replay.

I played under Howard Wilkinson’s management so I know a bit about football. Also played for Seville.

So, how long did we stay in the game? I suggest the plan didn’t work, was the wrong plan. 

Were we still hoping to stay in the game to nick it 2-1, or 3-2, or 4-3?