Jump to content


Recommended Posts

10 First half crosses?

 

Who were you watching because it certainly wasn't us?

Edited by Prince
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


56 minutes ago, Walt said:

Not one person would be making excuses for Rhodes if they had only seen his time at Wednesday and did not know anything about his past. I reckon 80% of his displays for us have been non league standard. The bloke has shown nothing, absolutely nothing, I'd expect something, at least one part of his game to be decent...it flipping well should be for circa £7,000,000 but no he's lacking in every department. 

A one dimensional player then who thrives from crosses put into the box and the ball being played early. Well I spent one match just watching Rhode, I counted the crosses we put into the box...I stopped counting in the first half when the total was ten (of the ten, seven were decent, three were so so) and Rhodes had headed into the keepers arms from 5 yards when it was easier to score, duck under one, yep he actually ducked out of the way and was nowhere near the rest. The same game I saw Reach play two through balls to him where he was favourite only for him to be out paced by the centre back, Reach then later looked up and so Rhodes in a similar position and Reach refused the simple through ball as he knew Rhodes would not get there. Another through ball played Rhodes in, one half decent touch and he's around the centre back who's already gambled and he's one v one with the 'keeper...Rhodes falls over when he tries to control the ball. Utter garbage. I come home from the game and read the comments on here and they still bang on about not playing to his strengths ...what more does he need, put on a plate 2 yards out?

 

I did the same with Hooper (just watched him) when he first arrived and was not scoring. He was always on the shoulder of the centre back making the early runs for the first time through ball...they never came as we would rather play the sideways / backwards pass. You could see Hooper was pissed off and let his teammates know about it but it made no difference it was like we'd been pre programmed not to play the early ball. It took Hooper a few games of being pissed off, not getting the ball when he wanted that he altered his game, he started to play as a no.10 and not a no.9, it was clearly visible, instead of making the early run he'd come deep and as if by magic would receive the ball, play a give and go and be off on his way, he then expanded on this play so much so that he became a key element in how we played. The funny thing I noticed was that the players were looking up to see where Hooper was and would now play the early through ball when he had not dropped deep.

 

One player had the ability to make the team play to his tune, the other, well he just looked pretty crap with a shed load of excuses. 

Wow somebody actually watching the detail rather than pining for a yesteryear striker to come back on a shining horse. 

 

We gambled the house on gash when we'd just got Winnall and we'll be paying the price for a while yet. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Wow somebody actually watching the detail rather than pining for a yesteryear striker to come back on a shining horse. 

 

We gambled the house on gash when we'd just got Winnall and we'll be paying the price for a while yet. 

Could have bought two quality fullbacks and had changed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Boo Hoo !! Boo hooo !!  I can't take a penalty !! booo hooo !!  WTF !!

A professional striker refusing to take a penalty for the club that pays him thousands a week.
He lost even the most ardent supporters that day.

Good riddance to the has been, lived on his name and never wanted him here in the first place.
As so correctly said above. Boro must have laughed their socks off.

 

Yeah absolute bottle job that was, as a prolific striker if you don’t have the confidence to take a penalty you’re mentally in the wrong sport 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, longreach said:

So conjecture then.

How is that conjecture?

 

A prolific striker whose used to taking penalties and probably one of the first picks, all of a sudden doesn’t take one?

 

dont be naive it was an absolute bottle job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yeadonowl said:

Still quite funny reading this kind of thread with people saying he’s crap, can’t score in this division, not a keen day striker etc etc

 

SWFC top scorer is Lucas Joao with a total of 8 goals with Reach getting 6

 

Rhodes has got 8 and he’s not even first choice. Still think played in the right team and right formation he will get you 15 goals a season at least

OK let's put the generalisations away and get down to Facts. 

 

Jordan Rhodes Norwich league stats this season. 

 

6 starts, 15 sub appearances (21 games played in) , 909 mins played. 

Average 1 shot per game, 26 total shots, 5 goals, conversion percentage 19.2 pc and a goal every 181 mins. 

 

Lucas Joao, league. 

 

12 starts, 8 sub appearances (20 games played in), 1093 mins played

Average 1.7 shots per game, 34 total shots, 8 goals, conversion percentage 23 pc and a goal every 136 mins. 

 

I'd take Joao any day of the week. 

 

Just to put this in perspective. Steven Fletcher 1 goal per 10 chances. 10pc conversion rate. 

 

Ouch. 

  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walt said:

Not one person would be making excuses for Rhodes if they had only seen his time at Wednesday and did not know anything about his past. I reckon 80% of his displays for us have been non league standard. The bloke has shown nothing, absolutely nothing, I'd expect something, at least one part of his game to be decent...it flipping well should be for circa £7,000,000 but no he's lacking in every department. 

A one dimensional player then who thrives from crosses put into the box and the ball being played early. Well I spent one match just watching Rhode, I counted the crosses we put into the box...I stopped counting in the first half when the total was ten (of the ten, seven were decent, three were so so) and Rhodes had headed into the keepers arms from 5 yards when it was easier to score, duck under one, yep he actually ducked out of the way and was nowhere near the rest. The same game I saw Reach play two through balls to him where he was favourite only for him to be out paced by the centre back, Reach then later looked up and so Rhodes in a similar position and Reach refused the simple through ball as he knew Rhodes would not get there. Another through ball played Rhodes in, one half decent touch and he's around the centre back who's already gambled and he's one v one with the 'keeper...Rhodes falls over when he tries to control the ball. Utter garbage. I come home from the game and read the comments on here and they still bang on about not playing to his strengths ...what more does he need, put on a plate 2 yards out?

 

I did the same with Hooper (just watched him) when he first arrived and was not scoring. He was always on the shoulder of the centre back making the early runs for the first time through ball...they never came as we would rather play the sideways / backwards pass. You could see Hooper was pissed off and let his teammates know about it but it made no difference it was like we'd been pre programmed not to play the early ball. It took Hooper a few games of being pissed off, not getting the ball when he wanted that he altered his game, he started to play as a no.10 and not a no.9, it was clearly visible, instead of making the early run he'd come deep and as if by magic would receive the ball, play a give and go and be off on his way, he then expanded on this play so much so that he became a key element in how we played. The funny thing I noticed was that the players were looking up to see where Hooper was and would now play the early through ball when he had not dropped deep.

 

One player had the ability to make the team play to his tune, the other, well he just looked pretty crap with a shed load of excuses. 

 

Excellent post, I too watch individuals from time to time, gives you so much more of an understanding.

I said that Stevie May was crap and for ages got vilified on here by people saying things like, "we don't play to his strengths",

then when it finally dawns, it's a "new all along" crap.

surprised you weren't negged, maybe it's dawned.

lol

Edited by daleblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rhodes is done with us. He never settled here and is clearly happy living down Norfolk/Suffolk. Would be a pointless exercise trying to make him fit into a club where he is clearly not happy. 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just a case of looking at this signing from a football view but also from a financial one as this is the deal that has put us well and truly in the P&S cart.

 

Because of his lack of success here and to a certain extent on loan at Norwich we are not going to be moving him out permanently any time soon so as a result of this it's in the clubs best interests for Bruce to look at any way possible of getting the best out of him when he returns and the way I think we'll play next season will stand more of a chance of doing this than the way we were playing under Carvalhal or Lukuhay?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daleblue said:

 

Excellent post, I too watch individuals from time to time, gives you so much more of an understanding.

I said that Stevie May was crap and for ages got vilified on here by people saying things like, "we don't play to his strengths",

then when it finally dawns, it's a "new all along" crap.

surprised you weren't negged, maybe it's dawned.

lol

Yes I can spot these Charlatans a mile off, but it makes you wonder if the people responsible for recruitment, even watch them

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like so many of these deals I hope we’ve already agreed the transfer with it being nice and healthy if not which get promoted 

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daleblue said:

 

Excellent post, I too watch individuals from time to time, gives you so much more of an understanding.

I said that Stevie May was crap and for ages got vilified on here by people saying things like, "we don't play to his strengths",

then when it finally dawns, it's a "new all along" crap.

surprised you weren't negged, maybe it's dawned.

lol

It's something I started doing more regularly when Irvine was our manager as most of the games were utter rubbish to watch. It was far more entertaining just to watch individual displays, like you say it gives you a better understanding of what the player is trying to do.  I was never a great fan of Tommy Spurr but ended up going apeshit at Gary Teale one game after (individually) watching the effort Spurr put in only for Teale to hang him out to dry time and time again, constantly ignoring his runs and purposely hiding behind players so that Spurr did not have an out ball. One of the funniest was while watching Helan one game- Loovens talked him through the entire 90 mins "stand there (pointing), right go forward, pick him up, get back etc." it was the sort of basic stuff you'd say to young kids not professional players...Helan had a very good game that night! Watching Ross Barkley one game was a bit of an education, it was like he was playing a totally different game to the rest of our lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

So that's 9 goals so far this season for Jordan Rhodes.

 

Meanwhile Fletcher has 4 and Nuhiu just 2.

 

Who would you rather have up front?

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rhodes wouldn’t have scored today’s goal for us.

 

If you look closely in this BBC report there’s a subtle clue as to why not.

 

Kenny McLean curls a lovely ball across from the right and Rhodes tucks it away.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have Rhodes in our squad over Nuhiu every single time. I really do hope he gets a chance with us next season under Bruce 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, leono said:

 

So that's 9 goals so far this season for Jordan Rhodes.

 

Meanwhile Fletcher has 4 and Nuhiu just 2.

 

Who would you rather have up front?

 

That's really impressive considering he is a sub.

 

His goals per minute stats must be really good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rhodes up top is a no brainer, hence CC and Jos hadn't got a clue how to use him.

 

Sideways and backward passing doesn't suit football never mind us. Bet piggy Wilder is thinking fooookin ell, he would get 20 goals a season for us...just off the bench...but can't afford his 100k per week wages :rolleyes:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×