Rhodes

12 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Alas JRs best days are well behind him,boro had our knickers down,lets hope its a lesson learned.Hopefully he can seal a perm move to Norwich,wel take a massive hit on the fee.

We could have speculated on some non league kid or an in form lower league marksman and saved a fortune.Rhodes was down to Carlos

We did. When we (the club) thought that Rhodes, who was a major must have for many clubs at the time, was unavailable, we pounced and bought a relatively unknown, who was slamming them in for fun at our neighbours, Barnsley, playing in the Championship. Then suddenly Rhodes becomes available. THAT was the time the decision should have been made - do we go with a relatively unknown scorer, and stick to our first buy, or do we make the decision to buy the proven striker, despite his age , price and current form. 

I honestly believe that the decision to buy Winnall was CORRECT AT THE TIME, but should we have stuck by him and forgotten Rhodes? I honestly did not know at the time, and I don't think that CC did either. Hence the 'between two sticks' situation. Given the time that has elapsed since, I believe we should now persevere with Winnall, who was never given the chance to play HIS type of football. BUT it's easy to be wise after the event.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wednesdaywizard said:

We've got pace in Joao (when he turns up) but what we also need is someone with strength, hold up play and who isn't afraid to put it in row z.

You'll have to run that one past me again, I'm afraid: why do we want a striker who's not afraid to put it into row Z?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

He's an enigma is Rhodes but ask yourselves this, if he played for Wilder would he get 25 goals plus? There's something there with Rhodes but maybe it needs the right system or manager in place for him.

At 28 he's not over the hill and he never really had any pace but for some reason the goals have dried up. Very odd. 

I often wonder how good Rhodes would have been in Carlos' first season. The way we played, especially at home would really have suited his game. (Or even if Carlos hadnt changed his football philosophy in his second season)

2 hours ago, wednesdaywizard said:

This is often a misconception for me. The old FIFA mentality where the quickest striker wins.

We've got pace in Joao (when he turns up) but what we also need is someone with strength, hold up play and who isn't afraid to put it in row z.

I'd take a striker who is slower than Joao but knows where the onion bag is and isn't afraid of a scrap.  Winnall potentially has the attributes.

Rhodes has missed sitters akin the the ones Nuhiu has in his time with us.

Agree, look at players like Teddy Sheringham or Kevin Phillps. Not the quickest but were clever players who knew where to be at the right time.

11 hours ago, BathgateBob said:

You could speculate and write something we can understand.

Anyway, How is he going to get a permanent move to Norwich?  No chance.

If we had have took a gamble on a lower league player fans would still moan we never spent money if they knew money was available.

Transfer incomes a revenue stream,one in which we are lacking,we buy but rarely sell,look at the cash Peterborough have brought in through speculating on lower league strikers.In the modern era its all part of the football business.

I dont see why he cant seal a permanent move we bought him...........

I still haven't seen evidence of this so called pace Joao has. He has a Long stride but still gets out ran by defenders. Matias looks quicker and this season Palmer looks rapid in comparison.

5 hours ago, Sonny said:

Daz is adamant that a permanent deal with Norwich is already done and he’ll be gone this month. Not sure why not announced in that case but we’ll see.

From the info I've been told a fee was agreed at the start of the loan. Norwich now want to renegotiate that fee.

I imagine Bruce will want to work with Rhodes. Attempted to sign him at both Hull and Villa. I couldn’t think of a better manager to get the best out of Rhodes. 

Also what’s the chance of anyone signing him? He’s going to be even harder to shift next season. Hardly doubt Norwich will sign him and pay him the 40k we are apparently paying considering he’s sat on the bench with them. 

13 hours ago, notts0wl said:

Adthe has a much better goal scoring record, holds up the ball very well and adds something different,

chuck him on when your 2-1 on to run down the clock or whatever. 

Not to mention he will be on peanuts comparatively... 

How hard did you hit your head? hope for a speedy recovery mate.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sonny said:

We can’t change our whole style of play just to try and make one stupid transfer not seem so bad. We have to choose the best style of play to suit our manager, the squad that he has and who we can get in to complement it. If that doesn’t suit Rhodes then we’ve just got to make the best of a bad job and recoup what we can for him.

We don’t currently have a style. It’s pretty awful watching for the most part.

He’d thrive in a united style of play and I’d love us to attack teams and get the ball in the box like they do.

I don’t see it as a sacrifice and changing things for the worst making an attacking style of play a priority to suit a goal scorer.

29 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

I imagine Bruce will want to work with Rhodes. Attempted to sign him at both Hull and Villa. I couldn’t think of a better manager to get the best out of Rhodes. 

Also what’s the chance of anyone signing him? He’s going to be even harder to shift next season. Hardly doubt Norwich will sign him and pay him the 40k we are apparently paying considering he’s sat on the bench with them. 

Not on 40k nearer 30

I don’t really know what the future holds for Rhodes but I’d like to see him play for us in a more attacking system before we completely write him off. With the service he’s had during his time here even I’d struggle to score, and I’m amazing.

32 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

0E3D1C3C-02FD-4868-9F74-549B7753A2D8.jpeg

Paper talk he was on 60k at Boro and Rhodes himself said he had taken a 50% pay cut to join us. I know for a fact that's true but out of respect, I won't reveal who told me until I'm told I can if ever.

29 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I find it odd, that those trying to justify how there is still a place in the side for a player like Rhodes, have to go back 10 years to find examples of players with similar attributes, who were successful

?

Rhodes was successful 3/4 years ago. Then he went to Boro and didn't suit the lone striker (yet still got something like 6 in 14 starts) and was in and out the team. Carlos didn't play to his strengths (nor any of our striker's strengths hence our poor goal return in his final season and a half). Jos (or finances) sent him to Norwich. Norwich also play the lone striker, and Rhodes comes on when they shift to 2 up top.

Given the buttons we would currently recoup selling Rhodes, surely he's worth a shot under Bruce, who gets goals from his strikers, if Bruce wants him here?

4 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

?

Rhodes was successful 3/4 years ago. Then he went to Boro and didn't suit the lone striker (yet still got something like 6 in 14 starts) and was in and out the team. Carlos didn't play to his strengths (nor any of our striker's strengths hence our poor goal return in his final season and a half). Jos (or finances) sent him to Norwich. Norwich also play the lone striker, and Rhodes comes on when they shift to 2 up top.

Given the buttons we would currently recoup selling Rhodes, surely he's worth a shot under Bruce, who gets goals from his strikers, if Bruce wants him here?

As said, it’s the game that’s changed so much during that time, and Rhodes hasn’t  The role he has for Norwich, the same one he had for us under Jos, striking from the bench, is the only one he can manage now at this level. 

I’m not adverse to using him in this way, if he cannot be sold. The likelihood of anyone buying him is slim, even if we don’t ask for much of a fee There would probably be a few takers in League One, but his wages would put paid to that