Rhodes

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

As said, it’s the game that’s changed so much during that time, and Rhodes hasn’t  The role he has for Norwich, the same one he had for us under Jos, striking from the bench, is the only one he can manage now at this level. 

I’m not adverse to using him in this way, if he cannot be sold. The likelihood of anyone buying him is slim, even if we don’t ask for much of a fee There would probably be a few takers in League One, but his wages would put paid to that

I don't see football has having changed much in the 3/4 years since he was banging goals in for Blackburn. He suits a 4-4-2 structure with service from out wide - same with Winnall, from what I've seen. Would we really be "behind the times" if we played such a system now?

6 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I don't see football has having changed much in the 3/4 years since he was banging goals in for Blackburn. He suits a 4-4-2 structure with service from out wide - same with Winnall, from what I've seen. Would we really be "behind the times" if we played such a system now?

Oh it’s changed massively, the quality of the top two divisions is streets ahead of where it was, even 3 or 4 years ago What’s needed from front players is a lot different now Yes, they still have to stick the ball in the net, but they also need to have a better all round game, plus be able to press from the front.

Definitely agree Rhodes would be better in a 4-4-2, and paired with someone who offers the things he doesn’t Would we be “behind the times” if we played 4-42? I don’t know, it doesn’t seem to be in vogue right now, but I suppose it depends how you play it For example, Carlos played 4-4-2, but with very narrow “wingers” so we were more solid, and not overrun in midfield. 

Playing 4-4-2 with two wingers hugging the touch line, I’m not sure, it would certainly need two top quality all round midfielders to make it work

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

To give you some idea: of the 24 Championship teams, Birmingham and Millwall are the only two who start matches in a 4-4-2 on a frequent basis. Bristol City did at the start of the season, but seem to have abandoned it.

If Rhodes is going to continue at this level, then it would seem he'll most likely remain a squad player rather than a regular starter...which makes our prospects of selling him for a decent fee pretty slim, of course.

• Like 1

Birmingham play a very basic 442 and it works for them mainly because of Jutkewic up front.

Allows them to play the long ball and because he wins most of them they then get up the pitch.

They have two hard working tacklers in centre midfield and because they don’t try and play much football through midfield this is  fine and because they are scrappers they win a lot of loose balls.

They also have a big back 4.

We don’t have Jutkewic but more importantly don’t have the mobile scrappers in midfield 

6 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Birmingham play a very basic 442 and it works for them mainly because of Jutkewic up front.

Allows them to play the long ball and because he wins most of them they then get up the pitch.

They have two hard working tacklers in centre midfield and because they don’t try and play much football through midfield this is  fine and because they are scrappers they win a lot of loose balls.

They also have a big back 4.

We don’t have Jutkewic but more importantly don’t have the mobile scrappers in midfield 

or a quick player like Adams, to play off the big man

1 hour ago, darra said:

Paper talk he was on 60k at Boro and Rhodes himself said he had taken a 50% pay cut to join us. I know for a fact that's true but out of respect, I won't reveal who told me until I'm told I can if ever.

So no one told you :laugh: want to also show me where Rhodes said “he’d took a 50% pay cut” no I gather you can’t do that either because Paul in pub knows his aunts dog mothers uncle and he told you not to say owt ey :laugh:

1 hour ago, 1993swfc said:

So no one told you :laugh: want to also show me where Rhodes said “he’d took a 50% pay cut” no I gather you can’t do that either because Paul in pub knows his aunts dog mothers uncle and he told you not to say owt ey :laugh:

Believe what you will but I trust my source 100% rather than some journos stab in the dark.

1 hour ago, darra said:

Believe what you will but I trust my source 100% rather than some journos stab in the dark.

You can believe your mate who claims Boro were paying Rhodes 60k a week (in the championship) :laugh: and he took a 50% wage cut to come to Wednesday. Yeah oreyttt :laugh:

I will trust the journalist who has told us who our last 2 managers were going to be before anyone else no problem :laugh:

Thanks for piping up to literally just discuss JR’s wage. I’m sorry the ten grand difference means so much to you. 

Stick Jordan Rhodes in the pigs side and he’d have more goals than Billy Sharp.

It’s no secret he’s a confidence player and prior to going to Norwich he’s played under Karanka, Carvalhal and Luhukay, 3 very negative managers. Right now his confidence is in tatters.

His goals records speaks for itself and at 28, to suggest he’s past it is laughable. A run of games in s side that plays positive attacking football and he’ll start banging the goals in again.

Rhodes strikes me as a player that needs a manager to put his arm around him and a player that needs to feel confident. I would love to see him have a full pre season under Bruce and see what he can do. If we could have some real creative players in our team I think Rhodes would do well for us. 

12 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Stick Jordan Rhodes in the pigs side and he’d have more goals than Billy Sharp.

It’s no secret he’s a confidence player and prior to going to Norwich he’s played under Karanka, Carvalhal and Luhukay, 3 very negative managers. Right now his confidence is in tatters.

His goals records speaks for itself and at 28, to suggest he’s past it is laughable. A run of games in s side that plays positive attacking football and he’ll start banging the goals in again.

With respect Trev, Sharp buys nto their high intensity game, and I don’t think Rhodes does Probably why he tends to get left out at Norwich as well  The games moved on from Jordan Rhodes I’m afraid

Edited by gurujuan

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Oh it’s changed massively, the quality of the top two divisions is streets ahead of where it was, even 3 or 4 years ago What’s needed from front players is a lot different now Yes, they still have to stick the ball in the net, but they also need to have a better all round game, plus be able to press from the front.

Definitely agree Rhodes would be better in a 4-4-2, and paired with someone who offers the things he doesn’t Would we be “behind the times” if we played 4-42? I don’t know, it doesn’t seem to be in vogue right now, but I suppose it depends how you play it For example, Carlos played 4-4-2, but with very narrow “wingers” so we were more solid, and not overrun in midfield. 

Playing 4-4-2 with two wingers hugging the touch line, I’m not sure, it would certainly need two top quality all round midfielders to make it work

Wether you play a high press or a midfield press...it only works if the whole team do it at the same time.

23 hours ago, gurujuan said:

If he comes back, which I believe he will, as nobody will pay the sort of money we want, he will have the same role as he has at Norwich It’s the role he had when he left here, and it’s the role he’s best suited to at this level

I agree but I’m surprised you’ve had no ‘bites’ to this post.