Penney Signs New Deal

7 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Takes him of Dev Squad wage and still leaves him with something to prove.

As others have said Thorniley was very much battling for a starting spot going into this season so it makes sense he was given a longer deal. 

Pretty similar situations really.  Thorniley was given a new contract in February until 2021 after about 6 or 7 games and half a season at Accrington.     Penney has played more games for us and is also battling for a starting spot at the time of signing today.

I love how the tin foil hats are being worn immediately because he didn't get a 3-year, 12 billion-a-week deal :laugh:

This is great news. He's got a year to prove the club and himself that he's able to hold a regular place in a Championship squad, he'll be rewarded with a better contract rather sooner than later if that proves to be true.

28 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

I love how the tin foil hats are being worn immediately because he didn't get a 3-year, 12 billion-a-week deal :laugh:

This is great news. He's got a year to prove the club and himself that he's able to hold a regular place in a Championship squad, he'll be rewarded with a better contract rather sooner than later if that proves to be true.

This.

If he'd signed a 4 year deal people would be moaning that we were wasting money on a player who has yet to fully prove themselves.

Think this strikes the right balance between reward and motivation.

1 hour ago, FinnishOwl said:

He could have been rewarded in 12 months even if he had signed a 5 year contract

It's what clubs that know what they are doing usually do, they sign promising players up long term, and give them an improved contract if and when they deserve it

In my opinion, a short term contract like this is in the players best interest, not the club's

I don't own a tin foil hat

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Just now, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

He could have been rewarded in 12 months even if he had signed a 5 year contract

It's what clubs that know what they are doing usually do, they sign promising players up long term, and give them an improved contract if and when they deserve it

In my opinion, a short term contract like this is in the players best interest, not the club's

I don't own a tin foil hat

I would have expected it to run to 2021 too but what can we do? Maybe the club offered him a decent longer contract but he prefers to see where we are in a years time in comparison with his own development.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I would have expected it to run to 2021 too but what can we do? Maybe the club offered him a decent longer contract but he prefers to see where we are in a years time in comparison with his own development.

I think there could be some truth in this

I also think it could be something to do with FFP, like Weshallcomeover says

Maybe we could only afford a short term deal at this moment

It's just a bit concerning having already lost George Purse and Sean Clair

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

He's still a prospect and so it would be silly to offer a lengthy contract. In my opinion he's showed glimses of what he can do however he's also had some very poor games. In a year's time we will know better if he's gonna make it at this level or whether he should drop down a league or two.

2 hours ago, Slogboy said:

Maybe suited both parties

Exactly,

if other clubs come in for him, and he wants away we can make money, if it works out for him here and he wants to stay, he can sign an extension.