Dawson

Guest Willow Owl

Ridiculous thread and thread title.:mad:Sometimes parts of our fan base are embarrassing. We are 6th (yes 6th) in the league in a transtional season where we are blooding some promising young talent. Leave the lad alone FFS, Westwood was no David De Gea and made numerous errors. 

I am sure some are just waiting for him to make a mistake (hence starting a thread while game is on) so they can bang the Westwood drum. 

1 minute ago, Willow Owl said:

Ridiculous thread and thread title.:mad:Sometimes parts of our fan base are embarrassing. We are 6th (yes 6th) in the league in a transtional season where we are blooding some promising young talent. Leave the lad alone FFS, Westwood was no David De Gea and made numerous errors. 

I am sure some are just waiting for him to make a mistake (hence starting a thread while game is on) so they can bang the Westwood drum. 

Spot on 

Ill bow to no one in my admiration of Kieran Westwood but he's yesterday for whatever reason 

Dawson and Wildsmith are the future and we should get behind whoever has the shirt 

Saw him come and claim at least one, he maybe flapped at one in the first half, when we weren't at it as a team. 

Made a few good stops along the way, wasnt at fault for the goal. 

A solid performance, im not seeing the doom, fear etc. 

Only thing missing is a clean sheet. Thats a team thing, not a Dawson thing. 

Guest Willow Owl
8 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Spot on 

Ill bow to no one in my admiration of Kieran Westwood but he's yesterday for whatever reason 

Dawson and Wildsmith are the future and we should get behind whoever has the shirt 

Westwood was a great keeper and maybe still is. The cold hard facts are he is unlikely to play for us again for whatever reason, and as you say back the lad who has the shirt rather than dissecting his every move. 

It doesnt benefit us as a club if our own fans are constantly slating him on forums. Opinions are fine but some need to think before they post. 

To be honest you see a lot more punching from all keepers these days.

That interview with Pressman the other week was interesting. 

He was saying when he first started when a player crossed the ball from wide you could tell where it was going about two yards after it left his boot. 

These days with the new balls you can't really judge till its about 2/3 yards away.

0163.jpg

Also said players get far more finger breaks and strains these days because of last minute ball swerve and that's why they're encouraged to punch. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Don’t always agree with your posts but this is one of the best made recently on any topic . Dawson is slagged off because he’s taken st Westwood’s position. Good a goalkeeper as he was , he was as you say no de gea. Can you imagine if Dawson puts in a performance like westwood did against United last season? This board  will go into meltdown 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, brando said:

westwood is our best keeper..by miles

Anyone remember the game at Brum where we were under no pressure until he molested Clayton Donaldson? Yes - he was amazing against Brighton in the Play offs but at the turning point of 2016-17 he hardly commanded his area when they were down to ten men at the Amex and that aimless punt from wherever sailed to the far post for Brighton to score. And remember Cardiff this time last year (arguably the turning point of last season) when he compounded Butterfields felony by flapping at a free kick. As for his distribution and turning defence quickly into attack... gee ooor!

Westwood has had good days and bad days, I love the guy but he was hardly perfect and FWIW no other clubs were battering the door down to buy him or loan him. I hate to think it is some childish  spat with Chansiri or Jos that has blotted him out, but Dawson deserves better than endless vitriolic nostalgia comparisons on here. Kevin Pressman had exactly the same but I still reckon he was better than Chris Woods. 

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet

8 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

11 games in no clean sheet, looked unconvincing against Leeds and at times again today.

Wildsmith now deserves 10 games. 

I'd love Westwood back in but it's not going to happen!

At which times did he look unconvincing today?

I was really impressed with him today. Made one mistake on a cross where he made a misjudged attempted punch other than that I thought he was superb. That save when there man was five yards clear of our defence was brilliant. He has every right to be annoyed at those responsible for the penalty today as they cost him his clean sheet. 

Also found the stat mentioned on sky interesting. Before this weekends games he’d faced more shots than any other keeper in the league. 

7 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

11 games in no clean sheet, looked unconvincing against Leeds and at times again today.

Wildsmith now deserves 10 games. 

I'd love Westwood back in but it's not going to happen!

He would have had a clean sheet today but for a poor foul in our box

Why not support the lad Westwood had a fair few dodgy moments last season 

Capable of some very good saves and clearly has a lot of potential but I think some people are pretending there isn’t any uncertainty about the defence in terms of communication and dealing with balls into the box which there has been all season so far.

It’s important to give these players the first team football they crave but how much of it and where depends on their level of readiness. We do also have Joe Wildsmith who has similar promise and may also be worth a shot at nailing the position down if the scary moments continue. 

Its starting to look like if we can learn how to get a clean sheet or two the league is an open one and the rewards are huge.

6 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

He would have had a clean sheet today but for a poor foul in our box

Why not support the lad Westwood had a fair few dodgy moments last season 

A decent keeper wud av saved that penalty.

& i av played for the dog & duck.

• Haha 1

The juxtaposition between this thread having many calling for Westwood back and the Impressing Jos thread having many praising him for picking players based on what they do in training and not by reputation is quite entertaining, in a slightly depressing way.

This post may have just been an excuse to type juxtaposition.

I really can't be farted to scroll through all the pages, but I just wanted to say I loved it when Hector moaned at him to hold onto the ball, after he weakly punched a cross and put us in danger.

He'll learn, with player's like that around him. He'll get better.

• Like 1