Sunderland* - Fletcher 90

Brentford - Nuhiu 90, Fletcher 14

Millwall - Fletcher 70, Nuhiu 20

Ipswich - Nuhiu 90, Fletcher 11

Wolves* - Fletcher 74, Nuhiu 17

Reading - Nuhiu 90, Fletcher 3

Nuhiu - 380 League minutes, 17 Cup minutes = 397 minutes total

Fletcher - 174 League minutes, 164 Cup minutes = 338 minutes total

We have played 17 minutes this season without either Nuhiu or Fletcher, and that was enforced due to Atdhe’s previous red card.

Another excellent example of Jos looking after his resources with thoughtful and intelligent planning. With the current players available he clearly favours the targetman approach, and sees these two in that role.

I admire the way he has carefully eased Fletcher to match fitness. At 31 and battle-scarred, just back from a bad injury, Fletcher would be a cert to relapse if handled carelessly. Not only has he played only 50% of the time, he has been allowed to re-cut his teeth in the Caribou, where I imagine Jos has looked him in the eye and told him it’s a step above a friendly - pace yourself.

Dont know if it’s wishful thinking but Fletch looks really fit and sharp. Seems to be really enjoying being on that field. 

I think and really hope that we will will see something similar all season. Fletcher or Nuhiu, giving everything and resting in roughly equal measure. A fighting fit Atdhe battling you for 60, replaced with a fighting fit and eager Steven Fletcher (or vice-versa) is a mighty fearsome prospect for a manager and his CBs. 

Its also good for competition. You would always want to be the one picked for the starting-shirt and play more minutes, and I have no doubt that a spell of top form from either would be rewarded accordingly by Jos.

As I’ve said before, we fans need to show understanding and support of Jos. Some of us prefer Nuhiu, others prefer Fletcher. Nothing wrong with that. But let’s realise and accept that neither are Ironman, and both need carefully managing. If we can keep these two fit for the majority of the season it allows Jos to keep to his preferred team shape and system.

We aren’t seeing rocket-science, but we are being given an exhibition of proper, professional , structured squad and team management. Multiply this to Hooper, Lee, Hector, Onomah and even Abdi, and we do seem to be in very good hands and in pretty exciting times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Neither may get in later in the season. There will be a case for Hooper given he’s a class player but I actually can see Joao been played through the middle at some stage as well. I think we will get Onamah in the team which may mean that Reach plays wide right. I may be wrong but I can see it. Adam Reach will not be dropped imo - he’s too much a valuable team player. 

• Like 1

I’d love to see Joao in the middle flanked by FF and Reach 

I think that gives us a bit of everything, a real good mix and a variety of threats.

Joao seems a lot stronger than previous years and the one thing he has over the others is his pace. 

Playing with this 4-3-3 I’m not sure how Hooper would fit in 

3 minutes ago, torres said:

I think that gives us a bit of everything, a real good mix and a variety of threats.

Joao seems a lot stronger than previous years and the one thing he has over the others is his pace. 

I honestly see this happening. I’m 95% confident we will keep a back 4 now and I

am pretty sure Onamah will come into midfield. However, Jos will always play Bannan and he will also play a defensive midfielder.

Reach is way too important to us and he will not be dropped. I see him playing wide right in an attacking 3. I think Jos will like this as he knows he will get defensive work from Reach. He trusts him to do this.  It also gives us legs up top and we will have legs in midfield through Onamah. Joao’s form together with his pace and movement may force Jos to play him through the middle. I think this will happen  towards the end of September. It’s a young man’s game and I think Jos wants to have energy, pace and legs in his team.

Hooper could play the central role in a 3. Hes a top class player but he has a battle on to get a place. 

What we are seeing is that they play the role differently.

Fletcher is more mobile and basically plays across the opposing back four.

Nuhiu while more static drops a bit deeper , drags defenders with him which leaves holes for our players to get into.

I really think that now we have more  runners in the rest of the team we will see Atty playing most games and I think it will work most times.

1 hour ago, torres said:

What a great position to be in.

I would play the player on what is required on the day, if either Fletcher or Nuhui are picked by the Manager  for certain games that's OK, he will have done

his homework, and if not working can always change, so for me both these players when playing well deserve a starting place.