Nuhiu or Fletcher

Fletcher is the better player. Which doesn't mean he should always start in preference.  

But the fact that there is legitimately a debate here: what that really shows is what an amazing signing Nuhiu has been for us.

In on a free from a very weak league to play at a far higher level; brought into a team short on confidence with disillusioned fans and a manager who no longer seemed to care.  It's a terrific achievement.

There have been many better players down the years, but I struggle to think of a similar bargain basement signing of this kind who has done so well

1 minute ago, thewookieisdown said:

Fletcher is the better player. Which doesn't mean he should always start in preference.  

But the fact that there is legitimately a debate here: what that really shows is what an amazing signing Nuhiu has been for us.

In on a free from a very weak league to play at a far higher level; brought into a team short on confidence with disillusioned fans and a manager who no longer seemed to care.  It's a terrific achievement.

There have been many better players down the years, but I struggle to think of a similar bargain basement signing of this kind who has done so well

Not quite a free, but £50,000 is certainly a snip

Nuhiu’s speed of thought, and technique, make him a better foil for the likes of Joao, Matias and Forestieri You play the ball in at speed to Nuhiu, and he’s capable of giving that little wall pass return. For me, you play it into Fletcher, and he has the strength to hold it  up, and then lay it off. So when you want to be playing fast incisive football, Nuhiu shades it for me.

If you are wanting to play it that little bit longer, then Fletcher will be better at holding the ball up

2 hours ago, York_Owl said:

I’d play Joao down the middle with Forestieri on the left and Matias on the right.

Having said that it sounds like Nuhiu played well yesterday so he deserves to keep the shirt.

Think this is the only question left with Joao.

Can he play the central, lone striker role.?

There is a lot of responsibility in that role. Keeping the shape, keeping possession and playing up there against the big centre halfs.

He seems to enjoy the freedom to roam about a bit and drift wide.

If he proved himself in the central, lone striker role he would be worth a fortune 

• Like 1

Fletcher has a better understanding of the game and the bigger picture and I would imagine those around him would prefer to play alongside him because of this as his link play is good. Nuhiu is a different and awkward outlet and certainly offers something different. He's not as good as ploughing a lone furrow as Fletcher is.

25 minutes ago, dani_armo said:

Fletcher should start in front of Nuhiu, he was painful to watch again yesterday...hes had a real poor start to the season for me

I thought Reading were there for the taking and we made hard work of it with nobody to hold the ball up

WTF: He was fantastic yesterday.

Fletcher might have the better pedigree and be more consistent, but he badly needs a couple of goals. His recent scoring record is pretty poor.

But I'm all for the competition and the rotation. It gives the manager options, prevents the players from getting fatigued and maximises our resources.

7 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Fletcher might have the better pedigree and be more consistent, but he badly needs a couple of goals. His recent scoring record is pretty poor.

But I'm all for the competition and the rotation. It gives the manager options, prevents the players from getting fatigued and maximises our resources.

But not rotation for rotations sake We were pinging the ball around apace yesterday, so we need players who are comfortable on the ball, else the attacking unit breaks down. Most of our forwards are capable of playing this way, but I’m not sure Fletcher, or Winnall are Suppose they do give us a Plan B option though

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

But not rotation for rotations sake We were pinging the ball around apace yesterday, so we need players who are comfortable on the ball, else the attacking unit breaks down. Most of our forwards are capable of playing this way, but I’m not sure Fletcher, or Winnall are Suppose they do give us a Plan B option though

I'm not sure you have seen Fletcher play, if you think he cannot ping the ball about and isn't comfortable on the ball. A far superior footballer than you are giving him credit for.

Fletcher for me is much the better player. He’s more physical, mobile and better I the air 

nothing against Nuhiu but I think he’s too limited some days he’s very effective and looks a world beater and on another day he is way to wasteful both in possession and front of goal and out attacks fizzle out. Last season showed us that if attey was more consistent he is one hell of player but I fear with what I’ve seen so far it was a purple patch. I’m hoping to be proved wrong on that 

for me attey should be a part player possibly impact sub to see games out

with our current options available he would look get more game time but I’d hope that both hooper and Winnall will discover form too and If so I struggle to see attey getting more than the of 15 minutes at the end 

Just now, DobbinTheDonkey said:

I'm not sure you have seen Fletcher play, if you think he cannot ping the ball about and isn't comfortable on the ball. A far superior footballer than you are giving him credit for.

Hey, it’s only my opinion. The problem I have with Fletcher and Winnall, is the speed at which they do things. Both are strong and can hold the ball up long enough to bring others into play. When we are moving the ball quicker, as we did yesterday, then they struggle.