there’s something about Jos....

9 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Funny how peoples opinions and the general mood can change after just one game.

Still don't rate him. Hope to be proved wrong but need more convincing then a 2-1 home win v Millwall that was only just about deserved.

He was well rated in the last games of last season, when, with little to play for, he motivated the team to multiple (and some heavy) wins.  He can only play with the cards he's been dealt.  Nothing has changed - some are happy, some never will be, whoever is manager.  He has the post, let's just support him, it's not that hard...

I like jos he’s not afraid to experiment and make bold decisions . He’s won’t just play ff at all costs. He’s also realised Hutchinson isn’t the Demi god most seem to think he is , which is fine with me 

those criticising need to seriously think, who could do better? Precious management and the current owners stupidity has lead to this mire. Under the circumstances I think he’s doing a good job 

It's too early to make judgement, I still think he's a dourpuss but he has sent a statement to the former untouchables that he won't tolerate silly mistakes or lack of fight. 

Thornily looked a revelation at LCB alongside Lees,  a bit of a hardnut,  and Penney looks to ooze class. 

If he can get some consistency in playing the 4 2 3 1 he was credited with in getting teams promoted in Bundesliga and put aside the 5 3 2 which didn't really seem to suit our players then we could be moving in the right direction.

I'll still never watch a press interview with him though as he bores me to death!

23 hours ago, keepitsteel89 said:

He’s starting to remind me of Napoleon, just his general  demeanour, can he conquer the league? The world!? Well no... 19th century France wasn’t trying to escape EFL sanctions, and they certainly didn’t have Liam Palmer playing RWB... but.. BUT... can someone photoshop JLs head onto Napoleons body in a way that may slightly amuse us? That’s the real question here... and it’s also the point I’ve lost track of my main point..  I bid you adieu 

JOS LUHUKAY

Chris Dunlavy profiles the career of the new Sheffield Wednesday boss

• The Football League Paper
  • 14 Jan 2018
  • By Chris Dunlavy
getimage.aspx?regionKey=QAdyz7GKwldHA1EPO3DYrQ%3d%3dPICTURE: Action Images EYES ON THE PRIZE: New Owls boss Jos Luhukay

IN the summer of 1989, a relegation play-off was the last place Jos Luhukay wanted to be. Little did he realise it would save his life.

Called up to represent Kleurrijk Elftal - a selection of Dutch players from the former colonies – the new Sheffield Wednesday boss was due to play a three-team tournament in Surinam.

But. with his club side VVV Venlo vying to stay in the Eredivisie, Luhukay reluctantly gave up his ticket. Other players to duck out included Ruud Gullit and Frank Rijkaard.

Sadly, nobody would play in Paramaribo. On June 7, the plane carrying Kleurrijk Elftal crash-landed on a wooded hillside a mile from Zanderij airport. Of the 178 people on board, only 11 survived.

“It was pure luck and coincidence I was not on the plane,” Luhukay told Bild in 2010. “I lost a lot of colleagues. A terrible experience. It took me a long time to process and organize everything in my mind. It’s a stroke of fate you will not forget again.”

Years later, Luhukay would cheat death again when a truck crushed his car into a motorway barrier. It was a mangled wreck, but Luhukay and Ingrid, his wife of 35 years, were unharmed.

Yet, if these experiences might have mellowed a more sensitive character, they had no such effect on Luhukay. Though he laughs often and is renowned for his relaxed demeanour, the 54-year-old rules his training ground with an iron fist.

As a player in the lower stratas of Holland and Germany, the tiny midfielder scored 63 goals in 238 games but was valued primarily for his tenacity, discipline and work rate.

Luhukay credits these traits to the guidance of his Dutch mother and Indonesian father, a steelworker. Though both died before he turned 25, the principles they instilled did not.

Principles

In Germany, his workplace for 25 years, Luhukay has been called Napoleon, the Little General, the Mini Dictator.

“I like Jos,” said Louis van Gaal when asked about his compatriot’s unyielding emphasis on conformity, punctuality and discipline. “He is just like me”.

“Jos keeps the team on a tight rein,” adds Oliver Neuville, the former Germany international who worked under Luhukay at Borussia Monchengladbach.

“Discipline is very important to him. I remember when two of the players were out on the evening of the derby with Koln. He hit the roof. They didn’t play again for weeks.”

Spiritually, then, Luhukay is more German than Dutch. As a teenager, he would cross the border to watch the great Monchengladbach team of the 1970s. His idol was not Johan Cruyff but Gunter Netzer.

After five years playing for Straelen and Uerdingen, he knew instinctively that Germany would be more receptive to his ideas as a coach.

“In the Netherlands, players question everything,” he explained. “Here, players follow their coach more, which is in line with my work ethic.”

Accordingly, mavericks are given short shrift. At Monchengladbach, star man Wesley Sonck was jettisoned for having a “negative impact” on team harmony..

“I want the players to have fun and enjoy their work,” Luhukay says. “But it is sometimes necessary to make a mark when someone dances out of line.”

Players aren’t the only ones punished for lacking commitment. At Augsburg and VFB Stuttgart, Luhukay walked out on good contracts when his directors failed to offer support.

Yet if all this sounds a little hard-nosed and joyless, those who conform are treated to a warm character who will bend over backwards to develop and protect them.

He appreciates a practical joke and is happy to endure endless ribbing over the bizarre moustache he’s sported since the age of 15.

Listens

“He listens to the players,” said Neuville. “You can come to him at any time, even with private things. And he really lives for football. ”

“He is not a coach who plays to the gallery,” said Andreas Rettig, CEO during Luhukay’s time at Augsburg. “He cares only about doing the job.”

“That is a great strength of Jos,” said Huub Stevens, the former PSV defender and Schalke manager who has regularly worked with him.

His brand of fast, offensive football earned top-flight promotions for Augsburg, Monchengladbach and Hertha. Now, the man with the mild manner and steel core has to deliver Premier League football.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
23 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Think he learnt from his last Millwall line up away when we played 5-5-0 with George Boyd as a striker. 

It was Ross Wallace but I get your point!

38 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Players in on merit.

No favourites.

Discipline.

Focus.

No pathetic excuses.

Imaginative selection process when he's short of numbers.

I could go on...

Basically the antithesis of Carlos.... whether you think that's a good thing or not.

You're spot on with that post @Costello 77 which I find strange coming from you, I may have to commit to rethinking my perception of you.

Wallace, Westwood and now maybe Hutchinson could have fell or be falling out of favour due to a real or perceived lack of discipline or respect of the manager/team whereas Pelupessy comes with exactly the attitude Jos is looking for, players beware, Winnall could be next.

Not before time either.

On 24/08/2018 at 08:33, keepitsteel89 said:

He’s starting to remind me of Napoleon, just his general  demeanour, can he conquer the league? The world!? Well no... 19th century France wasn’t trying to escape EFL sanctions, and they certainly didn’t have Liam Palmer playing RWB... but.. BUT... can someone photoshop JLs head onto Napoleons body in a way that may slightly amuse us? That’s the real question here... and it’s also the point I’ve lost track of my main point..  I bid you adieu 

21 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

just another dig at Palmer.

Agreed. It’s fvcckking poor that we single out our own players. Fvcckking pathetic! 

Jos just wont tolerate poor performances, or players not giving their all. He is just likely to drop Fernando Forestieri as he is to drop Ashley Baker, and it is such a refreshing change in aproach. Sick and tired of players getting picked to play soley on their name value.

Other thing I rate so highly about Jos team selection is that he will rather pick unexperienced U-23 player (if deemed ready), then play senior pro out of position. Totally oposite from what Carlos used to do.

Players get picked on merrit, and hard work gets rewarded.

Don't know how well he will do at Wednesday, but this is the right path to take, and I'm sure that once he leaves Jos will leave Wednesday in a better state with great fundation for some future manager to build on.

But I really hope that Luhukay will be with Wednesday for a long time. Most inovative and bravest manager we had here in a long time.

On 24/08/2018 at 08:47, Walt said:

I tell thi summat, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a braver team selection in all my years watching Wednesday. That line up against Millwall could have gone very badly wrong for Jos. The fans would have absolutely slaughtered him if we had lost and more importantly you’ve got to wonder what the likes of FF, Hutchinson and the older established pros’ made of it and their potential reactions to being dropped for kids.

Suppose everyone knows exactly where they stand now and what is expected from them. 

Agree completely. And it gave us a completely different pace at which the team played the match!

3 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

JOS LUHUKAY

Chris Dunlavy profiles the career of the new Sheffield Wednesday boss

• The Football League Paper
  • 14 Jan 2018
  • By Chris Dunlavy

getimage.aspx?regionKey=QAdyz7GKwldHA1EPO3DYrQ%3d%3dPICTURE: Action Images EYES ON THE PRIZE: New Owls boss Jos Luhukay

IN the summer of 1989, a relegation play-off was the last place Jos Luhukay wanted to be. Little did he realise it would save his life.

Called up to represent Kleurrijk Elftal - a selection of Dutch players from the former colonies – the new Sheffield Wednesday boss was due to play a three-team tournament in Surinam.

But. with his club side VVV Venlo vying to stay in the Eredivisie, Luhukay reluctantly gave up his ticket. Other players to duck out included Ruud Gullit and Frank Rijkaard.

Sadly, nobody would play in Paramaribo. On June 7, the plane carrying Kleurrijk Elftal crash-landed on a wooded hillside a mile from Zanderij airport. Of the 178 people on board, only 11 survived.

“It was pure luck and coincidence I was not on the plane,” Luhukay told Bild in 2010. “I lost a lot of colleagues. A terrible experience. It took me a long time to process and organize everything in my mind. It’s a stroke of fate you will not forget again.”

Years later, Luhukay would cheat death again when a truck crushed his car into a motorway barrier. It was a mangled wreck, but Luhukay and Ingrid, his wife of 35 years, were unharmed.

Yet, if these experiences might have mellowed a more sensitive character, they had no such effect on Luhukay. Though he laughs often and is renowned for his relaxed demeanour, the 54-year-old rules his training ground with an iron fist.

As a player in the lower stratas of Holland and Germany, the tiny midfielder scored 63 goals in 238 games but was valued primarily for his tenacity, discipline and work rate.

Luhukay credits these traits to the guidance of his Dutch mother and Indonesian father, a steelworker. Though both died before he turned 25, the principles they instilled did not.

Principles

In Germany, his workplace for 25 years, Luhukay has been called Napoleon, the Little General, the Mini Dictator.

“I like Jos,” said Louis van Gaal when asked about his compatriot’s unyielding emphasis on conformity, punctuality and discipline. “He is just like me”.

“Jos keeps the team on a tight rein,” adds Oliver Neuville, the former Germany international who worked under Luhukay at Borussia Monchengladbach.

“Discipline is very important to him. I remember when two of the players were out on the evening of the derby with Koln. He hit the roof. They didn’t play again for weeks.”

Spiritually, then, Luhukay is more German than Dutch. As a teenager, he would cross the border to watch the great Monchengladbach team of the 1970s. His idol was not Johan Cruyff but Gunter Netzer.

After five years playing for Straelen and Uerdingen, he knew instinctively that Germany would be more receptive to his ideas as a coach.

“In the Netherlands, players question everything,” he explained. “Here, players follow their coach more, which is in line with my work ethic.”

Accordingly, mavericks are given short shrift. At Monchengladbach, star man Wesley Sonck was jettisoned for having a “negative impact” on team harmony..

“I want the players to have fun and enjoy their work,” Luhukay says. “But it is sometimes necessary to make a mark when someone dances out of line.”

Players aren’t the only ones punished for lacking commitment. At Augsburg and VFB Stuttgart, Luhukay walked out on good contracts when his directors failed to offer support.

Yet if all this sounds a little hard-nosed and joyless, those who conform are treated to a warm character who will bend over backwards to develop and protect them.

He appreciates a practical joke and is happy to endure endless ribbing over the bizarre moustache he’s sported since the age of 15.

Listens

“He listens to the players,” said Neuville. “You can come to him at any time, even with private things. And he really lives for football. ”

“He is not a coach who plays to the gallery,” said Andreas Rettig, CEO during Luhukay’s time at Augsburg. “He cares only about doing the job.”

“That is a great strength of Jos,” said Huub Stevens, the former PSV defender and Schalke manager who has regularly worked with him.

His brand of fast, offensive football earned top-flight promotions for Augsburg, Monchengladbach and Hertha. Now, the man with the mild manner and steel core has to deliver Premier League football.

Hope the players have got this pinned up on the dressing room wall!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shandypants said:

Agreed. It’s fvcckking poor that we single out our own players. Fvcckking pathetic! 

The main point was he reminds me abit of Napoleon, me making a joke about LP was just me making a joke about LP, because he’s just not good enough and that’s a fact to most people, don’t get me wrong he’s a squad player in his preferred position, and I rate the lad for his efforts

On 24/08/2018 at 08:33, keepitsteel89 said:

Well if we moved the club to Germany, reckon we’d do well in Bundesliga II

Its not slagging him off to have an opinion on team selection..In my opinion, Fessi should start..at home..against Ipswich, Hutch is better in the midfield linking play between the back 4 and the forwards than Joey, Fletcher is, at the moment playing better than Adthe...

Palmer and Baker...mix and match, not got a problem with it...

Bannan could be further forward if we played Hutch...Sure he's injury prone, but you have Joey on the bench...

It didn't work first half today...

yep something about Jos, dont really think that he is the manager for us, today we were completely absent of shape, formation and game plan, how can he let ff sit on the bench for so long when we were playing so bad, it was criminal, on wednesday when winning 2 nil and playing well he made a double forward substitution and upset our momentum, today were playing so bad and hesitates to make changes, ok ime thankful for the 3 points but that was dour today.

In the space of six days we have had three different Wednesdays.

Brentford - dire - could have lost 10:0

Millwall - dynamic - could have won 5:1

Ipswich - dour - could have drawn 0:0

Having watched the Owls for yonks, our most successful managers put their stamp on the team such that there was a style and level of performance week in week out you could rely on - eg can anyone imagine a Bilko team or BFR team looking and performing so erratically? Even Carlos season 2 (bore the opposites for 60 mins and win 1:0) was recognisable as a brand. 

At one level I don’t have a problem with the idea we are a squad in transition and that team selection will vary more than in the past. On the one hand I love the fact that he is giving youth a chance, but I think I’m allowed to be concerned that of our two best players, BB is too deep into his contract and too deep on the pitch and FF isn’t even on the pitch.

I genuinely want him to do well - obviously - but our best managers did not take this long to establish a clear and consistent pattern of how we play. Until that emerges, the jury will remain out on Jos. At the minute, the team sheet, formations and performances are as mysterious as the man himself.

D88DEC7A-D35B-4B3E-A915-5DB8E8C55A53.jpeg

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet