Penney / Preston

5 minutes ago, cockneyvillageowl said:

Penney was decent and makes sense to give a young lad a chance. Preston looked off the pace and wasn’t ready for the first team. 

Looked off the pace ?  Towards the end maybe ... he gave us a bit of pace and energy and isn’t afraid to get forward and put balls in the box 

Penney was rather good, slotted into the team really well. His shirt.

Preston started the game lively, faded towards the end, hope it ain’t a serious injury. 

Thorniley, has to start each game, looks so good. Future captain I’m sure. 

• Like 1

Why the frig has Penney not played before? He looked a class act in a position we have struggled with.

I also really like Thorniley; never lets us down. One thing these kids give us is legs. We might just have stumbled across a batch of really good kids. Just hope the off field stuff doesn't see it end in the same way as Grady, Quinn, Bromby, Haslam, Morrison etc who were alll very good at that age as well. 

We could have done with these kids in Carlos's first season. Throwing one in now and again, into a good side. Furthermore, they would have then been match ready last season, when we really needed them. And it would have stopped us throwing bonkers money at the duffers we have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s early days, but I was impressed a lot by Penney. From what I’ve been told, I would have been dubious as to whether could deal with playing left back at this level. He normally plays as a wing back, or further forward, and people who regularly watch the youngsters, said he was good going forward, but a bit suspect defensively. On tonight’s showing, he might actually be able to play the left back role It helped that he had Thornley, who is comfortable at left back, able to move across and cover

• Like 1

All three of the young lads acquitted themselves very well. All have a mistake or two in them but all appeared confident and none were shy of the ball. All will get better and more confident with experience... given the financial straits we are in they are the future of the club... at least the boys look fully committed.... good luck to em.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vulva said:

Why the frig has Penney not played before? He looked a class act in a position we have struggled with.

I also really like Thorniley; never lets us down. One thing these kids give us is legs. We might just have stumbled across a batch of really good kids. Just hope the off field stuff doesn't see it end in the same way as Grady, Quinn, Bromby, Haslam, Morrison etc who were alll very good at that age as well. 

We could have done with these kids in Carlos's first season. Throwing one in now and again, into a good side. Furthermore, they would have then been match ready last season, when we really needed them. And it would have stopped us throwing bonkers money at the duffers we have. 

Particularly agree with your first sentence...looks really good on the ball, pacey, committed.... why the fu.k he's been overlooked for Fox only Jos knows...