Penney / Preston

8 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

So, as a general summation of the youngsters' performances - they played well, looked solid , misplaced a few passes, but looked a little slow or out paced towards the end of the game.

This same summation could be levelled at ANY of the so-called stars after any match. It could certainly be applied to our latest heart-throb Bannan, who's disribution at times is woeful., yet at other times sublime. He can speed up an attack, or slow down a break from defence. In other words he's human.

Don't expect all these lads to be a new Bannan or Forestieri overnight. Have some patience with them. I know that is almost like asking for he moon off so many Wednesdayites.

Agree but if people are paying absolute top dollar ticket prices their expectations quite rightly rise.

If we are going to be fielding five or so kids in the first eleven the ticket prices and expectation levels need to be reduced. I’m sure the fan base (as a whole) would be far more supportive if this actually happened...well maybe not if we were in the bottom three!

3 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

If they can keep the progress up and we can bring others through over the next few years then the club has a really bright future ahead of it. Plus as local youngsters will help build a real connection with the fanbase. All good stuff.

It is great and utilising the academy is 100% the way to go with how modern football is shaping up economically;

however, Thorniley is really an Everton academy player ain't he?

Sure we got Baker from Cardiff too but still Encouraging that we are looking for promising 16/17 year old talent as opposed to putting all our eggs in the old pro basket 

Just now, fudge27 said:

It is great and utilising the academy is 100% the way to go with how modern football is shaping up economically;

however, Thorniley is really an Everton academy player ain't he?

Sure we got Baker from Cardiff too but still Encouraging that we are looking for promising 16/17 year old talent as opposed to putting all our eggs in the old pro basket 

Don't care if we did get him from Everton. Last year or so we have brought him on. Baker again a cast off from Cardiff and there's another one we picked up from Forest (O'Grady??) main thing is we are finally prepared to give youth a chance.

If you can consistently bring two or better still three youth players through into the first team each season it changes the financial dynamics of the game completely. Inevitably some of those will ultimately be moved on (either for a healthy fee or just because they aren't good enough) but it has to be the right way of going about things.

It also means that when it comes to wages we can genuinely pay on results rather than speculating on past performance at another club.

3 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Don't care if we did get him from Everton. Last year or so we have brought him on. Baker again a cast off from Cardiff and there's another one we picked up from Forest (O'Grady??) main thing is we are finally prepared to give youth a chance.

If you can consistently bring two or better still three youth players through into the first team each season it changes the financial dynamics of the game completely. Inevitably some of those will ultimately be moved on (either for a healthy fee or just because they aren't good enough) but it has to be the right way of going about things.

It also means that when it comes to wages we can genuinely pay on results rather than speculating on past performance at another club.

Agree 100%,

my point was rather that our academy recruitment is getting better as well as the coaching of homegrown talent which is encouraging;

For me the best thing about Jos is his trust in youngsters. Alright his hand has been forced to a degree, but I don't doubt even if he had more license that 2/3 of the academy lads wouldn't be on the front of the first team and involved in squads and Cup games

10 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Agree 100%,

my point was rather that our academy recruitment is getting better as well as the coaching of homegrown talent which is encouraging;

For me the best thing about Jos is his trust in youngsters. Alright his hand has been forced to a degree, but I don't doubt even if he had more license that 2/3 of the academy lads wouldn't be on the front of the first team and involved in squads and Cup games

Wasn't one of the reasons Jos was hired was because he has a record of bringing on youngsters?

Shame he wasn't brought in a year earlier, then the Hirst and Clare situations may just have ended somewhat differently (dons tin hat and flak jacket)!

3 hours ago, Walt said:

Agree but if people are paying absolute top dollar ticket prices their expectations quite rightly rise.

If we are going to be fielding five or so kids in the first eleven the ticket prices and expectation levels need to be reduced. I’m sure the fan base (as a whole) would be far more supportive if this actually happened...well maybe not if we were in the bottom three!

Agree.

i think people want to see the academy produce. It's the thing pretty much every fan of any club in the world has in common. 

The thingg that wrangles is being asked to pay to pay top dollar to watch the kids develop and effectively write off a season or two; particularly for a club like Wednesday based in the region we are 

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

Agree.

i think people want to see the academy produce. It's the thing pretty much every fan of any club in the world has in common. 

The thingg that wrangles is being asked to pay to pay top dollar to watch the kids develop and effectively write off a season or two; particularly for a club like Wednesday based in the region we are 

Agree in principle, but until we have shifted some of the big earners out (many of whom are now effectively dead wood) and got our financial situation much healthier that isn't likely to happen.

Next summer is the big opportunity to trim the wage bill so let's assume that the current youngsters make a full breakthrough into the first team and we can get rid of 6 of the current squad (i.e. Westwood, Pudil, Hutch, Fox, Fletcher, Lee {unless he recovers} possibly Hooper {again unless he recovers}), then there might just be scope to drop the prices to a more realistic level.

10 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

It did to a certain extent... the fewest touches of any of our starting XI (For those interested: Preston 29; Matias, Fletcher and Reach all next tied on 43). 

But he at the very least showed promise and a willingness to press forward. At only 19 there's plenty of room for improvement, and despite not being as impactful as some are making out, he's shown a solid foundation on which to improve from 

I think one simple reason for this was he played on the right and most of the time Dawson kicked the ball wide left where Fletcher and Matias drifted on to their right back.

Consequently a lot of the play was down our left.

There is no point in kicking it long to Preston because he is so small.

13 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Penny looked to have "An old head on young shoulders" look about him.

Peston looked like a quick, solid and determined player.

Both have a good future in the game, but we, the fans, must be patient with them, they will make mistakes that is where we can help by not getting on their backs.

^^^^^

This.

They're going to have peaks and troughs in performance level as they adjust and learn. 

Patience will be absolutley vital.

I’d be happy to give Penney a run, as I believe he could turn out to be quite a find Hopefully we won’t go three at the back any more, in which case the need to bring in wing backs  diminshes 

More than happy with Palmer and Baker vying for the RB birth, and Pudil and Penney fighting it out on the left flank 

Don’t want to see any of Fox, Reach or Boyd, used there again

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I’d be happy to give Penney a run, as I believe he could turn out to be quite a find Hopefully we won’t go three at the back any more, in which case the need to bring in wing backs  diminshes 

More than happy with Palmer and Baker vying for the RB birth, and Pudil and Penney fighting it out on the left flank 

Don’t want to see any of Fox, Reach or Boyd, used there again

I think you may be in for a disappointment with hoping that fox doesn't play left back again .