Penney / Preston

Penney has the shirt at left back now for me and hopefully he will make the position his own.

Composed display from both Penney and Preston last night shows that we have so decent U23's in the ranks who are fully able to step up when required and give the old guard a fright. Energy and pace was a lot better with the injection of the youth.

So, as a general summation of the youngsters' performances - they played well, looked solid , misplaced a few passes, but looked a little slow or out paced towards the end of the game.

This same summation could be levelled at ANY of the so-called stars after any match. It could certainly be applied to our latest heart-throb Bannan, who's disribution at times is woeful., yet at other times sublime. He can speed up an attack, or slow down a break from defence. In other words he's human.

Don't expect all these lads to be a new Bannan or Forestieri overnight. Have some patience with them. I know that is almost like asking for he moon off so many Wednesdayites.

I've been calling for Penney to be in team for over a year and finally he gets picked.

Impressed me on few times I've seen him play for academy but a mate watches them all time and he's been saying how impressive he's been. 

3 of back 4 and goalkeeper all from academy was nice to see last night.

3 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I've been calling for Penney to be in team for over a year and finally he gets picked.

Impressed me on few times I've seen him play for academy but a mate watches them all time and he's been saying how impressive he's been. 

When you’ve watched him for the academy, did he mainly operate as a wing back?

Penny looked to have "An old head on young shoulders" look about him.

Peston looked like a quick, solid and determined player.

Both have a good future in the game, but we, the fans, must be patient with them, they will make mistakes that is where we can help by not getting on their backs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

When you’ve watched him for the academy, did he mainly operate as a wing back?

I’ve seen him play left back and left wing for the U23’s, there’s probably lads who have watched more than I have though

Preston in particular looked at home, very confident and decisive.  Lots of good first time passes, he didn’t feel the need to have 8 touches to pick a pass. A few good crosses too. Impressed. 

Penney had less to do but did it all very calmly and I can see him getting a lot of games. 

Well done lads. 

2 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Thought Penney looked the real deal.  Going on the comments on here, I've missed what Preston did last night.  I thought the game passed him by.

It did to a certain extent... the fewest touches of any of our starting XI (For those interested: Preston 29; Matias, Fletcher and Reach all next tied on 43). 

But he at the very least showed promise and a willingness to press forward. At only 19 there's plenty of room for improvement, and despite not being as impactful as some are making out, he's shown a solid foundation on which to improve from 

2 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Matt Penny is absolutely class. The confidence from the lad. Outrageous. 

Not being a pedant, but in your OP - TOXIC TO SUPPORT - which you posted on Monday, you said you had seen this season coming, your could no longer afford to go to the matches and you were staying in Manchester. 

:wacko:

• Haha 2

A full 12 months ago, during Carlos' reign

1) I suggested Penney should become our left back

2)I suggested Pudil be switched to central defence

3)I suggested we needed to utilise the kids more to avoid continually having to buy new players.

Mind you I envisaged them being introduced and integrated slowly over time. Hadn't envisaged an urgent need to do so though I was already concerned about the number of duff purchases we'd made and a lack of outgoings of said duff purchases (not being used).

In hindsight, the financial position was entirely predictable.

Edited by theowlsman

The good thing is that, although there's no guarantee they'll all make it, having a pool of academy youngsters with the talent of Wildsmith, Dawson, Thorniley, Penney and Preston is really refreshing to have. One or two in there will end up being at the very least good Championship players and look like they'll have long and successful careers in football. Those that don't quite hit that mark still look set to make it as full time pros. A lot of promise in all of them... it's nice to see. 

7 hours ago, bradowl said:

If they can keep the progress up and we can bring others through over the next few years then the club has a really bright future ahead of it. Plus as local youngsters will help build a real connection with the fanbase. All good stuff.