ENGLAND vs BELGIUM | Official Matchday Thread

4 hours ago, Watson said:

Don't you think Sterling has had enough chances?  Never seems able to bring his club mentality to the International game.  Which is a shame but I think he should be demoted to the squad.

Yes if we needed points to qualify I'd drop him but we have nothing to lose by giving him one last chance and everything to gain.

It does seem a lot of us are divided on this.

I don't see it as being black or white and would go somewhere in the middle.

Trippier looks really good but is carrying a knock so I'd definitely leave him out, I'd probably also rest Alli a bit longer as I think he's got the odd moment of brilliance in him for the latter stages and there's no need to rush him back for this game. 

The only players on yellow cards are Walker & Loftus-Cheek, neither of whom are crucial to maintaining momentum IMO and I would drop both of those for this game meaning the likelihood is, barring an injury or sending off (latter unlikely in a dead rubber), we'll have a full squad to chose from going into the knockouts.

I'd rest Young because he's the oldest member of the squad covering the most yards at wing back. Keeping Sterling in might be unpopular but leaves one more chance to find his Man City form and his potential long term replacements chomping at the bit. Doing all of this also gives the replacement/s particularly in defence/wingbacks the chance to show they can sure us up a bit.

It's also worthwhile keeping momentum and a settled side so the men I'd replace from the last game would be Trippier, Walker, Young & Loftus-Cheek. I wouldn't even consider dropping Kane because he's riding on the crest of a wave and is our Captain, a popular one at that it seems.

I'd try and win the game with;

Pickford

Jones

Maguire

Stones

Alexander Arnold

Lingard

Henderson

Rashford

Rose

Kane

Sterling

Trying not to risk anything and playing cautiously would go completely against what seems to have made this squad believe in themselves so win it and back ourselves to beat anyone without risking worsening existing injuries or having suspensions works for me.

4 hours ago, OutspokenTom said:

It does seem a lot of us are divided on this.

I don't see it as being black or white and would go somewhere in the middle.

Trippier looks really good but is carrying a knock so I'd definitely leave him out, I'd probably also rest Alli a bit longer as I think he's got the odd moment of brilliance in him for the latter stages and there's no need to rush him back for this game. 

The only players on yellow cards are Walker & Loftus-Cheek, neither of whom are crucial to maintaining momentum IMO and I would drop both of those for this game meaning the likelihood is, barring an injury or sending off (latter unlikely in a dead rubber), we'll have a full squad to chose from going into the knockouts.

I'd rest Young because he's the oldest member of the squad covering the most yards at wing back. Keeping Sterling in might be unpopular but leaves one more chance to find his Man City form and his potential long term replacements chomping at the bit. Doing all of this also gives the replacement/s particularly in defence/wingbacks the chance to show they can sure us up a bit.

It's also worthwhile keeping momentum and a settled side so the men I'd replace from the last game would be Trippier, Walker, Young & Loftus-Cheek. I wouldn't even consider dropping Kane because he's riding on the crest of a wave and is our Captain, a popular one at that it seems.

I'd try and win the game with;

Pickford

Jones

Maguire

Stones

Alexander Arnold

Lingard

Henderson

Rashford

Rose

Kane

Sterling

Trying not to risk anything and playing cautiously would go completely against what seems to have made this squad believe in themselves so win it and back ourselves to beat anyone without risking worsening existing injuries or having suspensions works for me.

Jones is a liability in my opinion. I would never start him

Momentum? 

We want the easy ride to the final. 

The players confidence won't be shot knowing that they too want the easier route to the final - they know it'll be a one off game. 

We need to finish second - I think our confidence would be sky high going into those games, rather than against the likes of Brazil early. 

8 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Momentum? 

The players confidence won't be shot knowing that they too want the easier route to the final - they know it'll be a one off game. 

We need to finish second - I think our confidence would be sky high going into those games, rather than against the likes of Brazil early. 

I honestly don't think Brazil will make it to the quarters, Mexico to muller em 1 - 0.

Go for the win and top the group. Acknowledge we may get Brazil in the quarters but we should go with a mindset to win the games that are front of us. Brazil are beatable! I also think that the Spain/Croatia semi final is a much tougher proposition than the first half of the draw with France, Argentina or Portugal.  Argentina are poor overall, Portugal are definitely beatable and I don't fancy France.  Croatia are the stand out team so far and they are playing the best technical football.  Spain are the elite team that I think may come good.

This may be of interest to someone. A friend of mine has 2 tickets in a corporate box for the England v Belgium game Thur 28th June 2018. She paid £600 each including flights but didn't realise when she bought them months ago that it was going to be the same day as her wedding! If you are interested she is looking for someone to take her place.

It's at Birmingham Registry Office at 4pm. The grooms name is David - He's 5'9", about 12 stone, head full of hair and own teeth. Has his own income and is really good at DIY.

PM Sharon for details.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Momentum? 

Can't predict the quality of the ride.

Winning is all that matters...