ENGLAND vs BELGIUM | Official Matchday Thread

I think we have to be concerned about some of the mistakes our defence makes. Thankfully it is evident that Southgate is concerned too with his comments that he didn't like the performance against Panama, specifically before we scored and conceding a goal.

Let's not get over confident about how we might do against decent opposition.

Let's just enjoy that we have done what we should against poor opposition.

55 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

Come on England...

...Damn it they have made me believe again this always ends badly!

I was just about to say something like that as well.

i didn't rate you lot too highly before the Cup started but now I'm starting to believe... 

good luck!

44 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

The defence needs sorting out, don’t really have confidence in any of them. Walker needs dropping too. He’s not international standard, Spurs must have been rolling on the floor in fits of laughter when city forked out £50m

It’s a strange one isn’t it with Walker a full back playing centre back. You wonder if Cahill or Jones will come in when the games get tougher. 

My first thought was make a load of changes and finish second.

Now I would make a few changes, Jones, Rose, Dier and Rashford in for Young, Walker, Henderson and Sterling and try and win the match, might be more difficult route through but winning builds momentum and confidence and if we can beat Belgium I think it would be better to do that and face a more difficult team than a supposedly easier one.

Having said that, Brazil and Germany haven't exactly impressed me.

The word coming out of Belgium is Lukaku, Hazard and Mertens will definitely be rested as they're all carrying knocks, Kompany will play and I'm guessing Carrasco, Batshuayi and Fellaini for the other 3.

Think our 'B' team is better than Belgiums, so we could make a few changes and still win, Rashford, Wellbeck and Alexander Arnold for Sterling, Kane and Trippier would be my choice, although Young probably needs to be rested.

It's a difficult decision for Southgate, there's possible negatives and positives from both the sticking or twisting options.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

The word coming out of Belgium is Lukaku, Hazard and Mertens will definitely be rested as they're all carrying knocks, Kompany will play and I'm guessing Carrasco, Batshuayi and Fellaini for the other 3.

Think our 'B' team is better than Belgiums, so we could make a few changes and still win, Rashford, Wellbeck and Alexander Arnold for Sterling, Kane and Trippier would be my choice, although Young probably needs to be rested.

It's a difficult decision for Southgate, there's possible negatives and positives from both the sticking or twisting options.

Its one of those whatever he does he will get criticised an OT dream scenario