Remember when Jurgen Klinsmann played against us?

Nah, i wouldn't call him a cheat. He had a reputation for going down easily but he was a top drawer goal scorer. I remember him coming to Hillsborough with Spurs on the opening day (think it was his debut) and he scored and had a great game. Didn't particularly like the bloke but no doubting his goal scoring prowess or pedigree. Top player for me, you only have to look at international record too.

• Thanks 1

I know that a phone call had been  made from Italy 1992  about the possibility of him coming here.  He'd been at Inter and wanted out.  But nothing came of it. Forget where he went from there. But it could have been here.  

But a few years later he rocks up at Spurs and the media are spaffing their pants about him. 

His debut for Spurs was against us on the opening day of the season and there had been lots of talk about him being a diver. He was a superstar of his era and you just new he would score against us. Sure enough he got a poachers goal in front of the Kop then wheeled away towards the North and performed a superb dive sliding straight towards me and I'll swear he winked at me as he stopped. I didn't think Germans were supposed to have a sense of humour but he had my respect from that moment.

• Like 3

It was quite a coup for Spurs to get him at the time, I'm pretty sure Ardiles was the manager and they played a very, very attacking formation, I remember the goal and the dive in his debut game at S6 and I seem to recall he had to go off after a nasty accidental clash with Sir Des Walker left him with a serious mouth wound.

Reyt player. 

I seem to recall a fanzine printing a big number 6 card on the back of the issue for the home opener against us. lol 

It was a really big thing that GASP! a real diver had joined the English game. In reality he was just world class and perhaps ten years ahead of his time.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I seem to recall Jurgen Klinsmann having a right run of goals against us whenever we came up against him

Question is though (for those that remember that far back!) was he a cheat, was he a goalscoring genius against us? or a combination of both?

He only played against us twice!  Scored once in each game.

He is one of my all-time most hated players. A massive, diving, cheat who really popularised diving in this country.

It always really annoys me when world class sportsmen cheat - they already have the ability but not the grace to play fair. Rubbish players diving doesn't bother me as much.

I mean - just look at the video... Disgraceful! I hate him!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7Y33VteME

Edited by Onge
Make link clickable
  • Haha 1