Remember when Jurgen Klinsmann played against us?

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I seem to recall Jurgen Klinsmann having a right run of goals against us whenever we came up against him

Question is though (for those that remember that far back!) was he a cheat, was he a goalscoring genius against us? or a combination of both?

Yes he was a cheat but later on in his career and when he came to Spurs he seem to learn from this and become a fairer and better player

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I know that a phone call had been  made from Italy 1992  about the possibility of him coming here.  He'd been at Inter and wanted out.  But nothing came of it. 

Heard TF wanted to see him play on grass first...

2 hours ago, Onge said:

He is one of my all-time most hated players. A massive, diving, cheat who really popularised diving in this country.

It always really annoys me when world class sportsmen cheat - they already have the ability but not the grace to play fair. Rubbish players diving doesn't bother me as much.

I mean - just look at the video... Disgraceful! I hate him!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7Y33VteME

I totally agree.
Klinsman was a first rate striker who would rather cheat his way to victory.
I have no respect for this man at all.

• Thanks 1

Apparently, when at Spurs he used to run around in a beat up old VW Beetle - his thinking was - doesn't matter if it gets the odd dent or scratch whilst it was parked up in London.  Imagine turning up at the training ground and parking it amongst the Ferraris and Porsches of your team mates - class. Ofcourse Nando went one better with his bike though !

8 hours ago, Onge said:

He is one of my all-time most hated players. A massive, diving, cheat who really popularised diving in this country.

It always really annoys me when world class sportsmen cheat - they already have the ability but not the grace to play fair. Rubbish players diving doesn't bother me as much.

Sounds like your misses was a fan.

12 hours ago, Sticky belly said:

Nah, i wouldn't call him a cheat. 

Are you kidding !?

His antics were notorious like probably no one else in the world at that time. How can you watch this and not want to punch him in the face?

But yes, he was a tremendous player, which makes the cheating all the more annoying.

13 hours ago, Onge said:

That referee though :tango:. You don't see them show the red like that these days.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, mrgund said:

I seem to recall a fanzine printing a big number 6 card on the back of the issue for the home opener against us. lol 

It was a really big thing that GASP! a real diver had joined the English game. In reality he was just world class and perhaps ten years ahead of his time.

My memory was that one of the fanzines at the time (AVFTEB I think) had a load of diving score cards printed for everyone on the Kop (11,000), I think they said 5.2 or something.

The idea was to hold them up whenever Klinsmann got the ball or dived.

Anyway, the club got wind and put a stop to what could have been a hugely iconic premier league moment.

Dave Richards knew best.

18 hours ago, room0035 said:

Yes he was a cheat but later on in his career and when he came to Spurs he seem to learn from this and become a fairer and better player

He was a brilliant player but was a blatant diver / cheat in an era when it wasn't really prevalent, certainly in Europe, so he stood out. But yes, when he came to play in England he certainly cut down on it, probably knew that he wouldn't get away with it here with his reputation.

I remember Frank Skinner saying, think it was probably on Fantasy Football League during the 1994 World Cup, he got up to make a drink, brushed against the TV, and Klinsmann fell over lol

• Haha 1

On 16/05/2018 at 09:32, @owlstalk said:

I seem to recall Jurgen Klinsmann having a right run of goals against us whenever we came up against him

Question is though (for those that remember that far back!) was he a cheat, was he a goalscoring genius against us? or a combination of both?

He was a cheat, check out his ridiculous antics of rolling around in the final of World Cup 90 for those not old enough, the problem is now a days things like this are so common where as in 1990 for example there was only a few doing it. 

Carlos Valderama (yes the one with the wig) got stretchered off I ly to come back on again! 

Different times etc. 

Klinsmann was a fantastic footballer and Comes across as a nice bloke in interviews but he was a diving little ferrit when playing football.