When did it start to go wrong?

8 hours ago, Peake said:

Back end of 2016 was when I first noticed the style had changed for good and when I first got wind of players playing through injury so I thought it might be a slippery slope. Then Carlos should've gone after the playoffs.

Didnt one of carlos back team leave at the same period?

Since he left we didnt match the style towards the end of the season

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Easy, signing Jordan Rhodes

This^^.

Less than a week after signing Sam Winnall it has got to have upset the apple cart.

And as a consequence of splashing all that money, on what frankly must have been the worst signing for as long as I can remember, the ffp rules means we have been restricted on further much needed signings.

It was an absolutely moronic decision by someone. They obviously tried to go for promotion and thought the once great Jordan Rhodes might have been the final piece of the jigsaw to get us over the line.

For me it has been downhill since then and if it wasn't for hooper coming bang on form we wouldn't have got in to the play offs. 

For me the real shock was against the pigs at home. Warning signs were there before but it was alarming how easily we were taken apart by them. 

I know now it has been said a million times but the most frustrating thing is that most fans could see what was needed at / after Wembley - a more physical presence but the management couldn’t. 

In my opinion physicality is so important in this league and if you lack it and FITNESS then you have no chance. 

I remember Steve Bruce’s Birmingham side coming to Hillsborough perhaps 10 years ago now and beating us 3-0. We played very well but were bullied / overpowered in key areas. 

Something is very wrong at Hillsborough and this preseason coming will tell us everything about Chansiri’s attitude towards the club 

After that first game of the season at Preston. That's when I knew it had been a Massive mistake to keep Carlos the Fraud on. They were like 11 fans plucked from the stands at 2:45.

I said on Twitter straight after the match "Please sack him now" as I could see this would happen if he was kept on. He stayed 4 months longer than he should have and the damage was done. Makes me want to puke watching jug ear Linekar smoking him off on MoTD last night.

The player recruitment after the play-off final was a major tuning point for the worse as well.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Irrespective of Rhodes performances on the pitch, his signing never made any sense to me. We weren’t exactly short of strikers at the time he signed and you only have to look at our current year end accounts to see how perilous our finances look.  

Rhodes’ signing sums up how crackers our recruitment became in that year after the play off final and I fear our current financial situation could blight us for years to come.

At the time we were desperate for a midfielder and a centre back.

That signing really had me scratching my head.

9 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Forget Wembley,  Carlos or player recruitment. If you could pick one defining moment this season when it all started to go wrong what would it be? 

Opening match?

Swapping Winnall for Butterfield? 

Sol Bamba's equaliser for Cardiff in 95th minute?

Duffy's goal for United?

October international break?

Other?

It started to go wrong in the summer after the Wembley defeat.

Not enough turnover in the squad allowing players to become comfortable,

Players coming in were past their best and paid too much .

Then the Forestieri debacle. He really should have been transferred for big money to address the lack of running power and pace in midfield.

Sheff Utd at home was the point we realised it had all gone wrong but I don't think that was the turning point.

Truth is since Wembley we haven't made a good signing and Carlos' tactics were poo. You could argue that last year we won ugly and got more points etc but we were so slow and predictable even though we finished 4th. 

Bringing in a new manager when it had already gone to poo has made things worse.

9 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Forget Wembley,  Carlos or player recruitment. If you could pick one defining moment this season when it all started to go wrong what would it be? 

Opening match?

Swapping Winnall for Butterfield? 

Sol Bamba's equaliser for Cardiff in 95th minute?

Duffy's goal for United?

October international break?

Other?

About 1998 I reckon :ph34r:

Not improving the playing staff after Wembley

Deciding that Hulls and Middlesboro's approach to football would be successful for us, but not signing the players to make it successful

Huddersfield home and away, throwing away the golden opportunity  to get promoted

CC starting this season as manager, should have gone by Christmas in his second season,

watching us against Rangers then Preston showed us this season was dead

losing to Utd, no one at the club seeming to understand what that meant to us

Plyers not being fit enough which led to the massive problems we now have

Choose any one of those, but sorting the first one out would mean the others didn't matter as they wouldn't have happened

It was after Wembley IMO. We had a super season, where we needed a few key signings and we didn’t make them. Then FF situation aded more salt to the womb. Since that we have continued to make the same crap signings and we’re struggling. We should have brought Rowett in when Brum sacked him. Okay, we got to the play offs last year but we wasn’t great. It was a poor Championship. Look where Reading are and Huddersfield don’t have much quality. 

8 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Carlos not improving the starting 11 for 3 seasons, and the Chairman and fans allowing him to get away with it.

What could the fans have realistically done without causing more problems than there was in the first place?

If the fans contributed to a change in the starting 11 then Carlos would have shown himself to be more incompetent than he actually was. And he was quite incompetent.

Brighton away last season was perhaps the moment for me.  Had them level and down to ten men from around the hour mark, then we proceeded to miss a penalty and generally faff around with it for the next half an hour before we had two sent off in stoppage time after Brighton had hit us on the counter late on.

With a win there, the top 2 really looked on with the momentum we had.  However, the team just  seemed to startle itself at the opportunity once Brighton went down to 10 (froze much like they seemed to in the PO final), and I think we went a bit jittery after that for the rest of the season.  Even in the games against Hudds, we just never looked like we really believed, and I think you can trace it back to this Brighton farce.  That game just struck me as the moment when you realised this collection of players just didn't have it - whatever it is to get out of this league - whereas teams like Brighton had it in spades.  The subsequent failure to address the problems (and that includes refreshing the squad by selling big name players if needs be) was all the more baffling.

I wouldn’t say it’s a moment but the problem why we are in this mess is the lack of conditioning of the players. I have a theory and I’m sticking to it. First season, Carlos came in and played a high octane pressing game. We played some fantastic football.

Second season, we played a different brand of football as it became evident that we couldn’t maintain this level of pressing as the players weren’t fit enough. Players started to get injuries and we brought many back early. I would have a guess that they weren’t fit enough to play and many playing with injections etc.

Third season, the whole squad has broken down from an inept fitness regime. I’ve never witnessed so many injuries at a football club. I went to Preston away for the first game and I was talking to a few fans saying how unfit we were. Preston were in much better shape.

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, torres said:

I agree to some extent 

The first season should have been the hardest - he was allowed money to spend and despite plenty of mistakes (that seem to get forgotten) we got to the play offs. Which in my opinion was par for the course - with the players we had 

We then needed 3 good players to build on that first 11. That was all.  With the correct additions we should have been automatically promoted.

We Sadly spent a relative fortune on garbage.

We relied on the 11 from the previous year and huffed and puffed to January. Then we made the worst purchase in the clubs history 

In the final 12 weeks we got away with absolute murder - we got wins while performing terribly and being very lucky.

We carried the performances on into the play off matches 

This year is just a carry on from last year with a crippling injury list 

Great post.

A catalogue of errors made right from DC down since the playoff final.

A catalogue that can be divided up into seasons, episodes and snapshots.

We are seeing the results of decisions made on and off the pitch from the top down some 18 months+ ago.

There is not, and never has been, any person at the helm since Paul Aldridge left who has any degree of substantive experience of football in this country or division to provide the checks and balances to minimise mistakes.

Edited by Flat Owl

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, OneDavidHirst said:

After that first game of the season at Preston. That's when I knew it had been a Massive mistake to keep Carlos the Fraud on. They were like 11 fans plucked from the stands at 2:45.

I said on Twitter straight after the match "Please sack him now" as I could see this would happen if he was kept on. He stayed 4 months longer than he should have and the damage was done. Makes me want to puke watching jug ear Linekar smoking him off on MoTD last night.

The player recruitment after the play-off final was a major tuning point for the worse as well.

Its the Wednesday way though.

We have a coach whos sell by date had expired and who has left a reyt mess, he then goes to a higher division, has managed to get some results and now the whole nation ( unaware of the complete mess he has left at Hillsborough) thinks he is the new messiah and are thinking we are bonkers for not wanting him.