When did it start to go wrong?

19 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Quite a few candidates. 

Failure to address clear deficiencies in the squad after the Hull game, namely a bit of pace, power, and physicality. 

Both Huddersfield games. 

Keeping the same group of people (head coach, coaching staff and players) together after two failed playoff campaigns. 

That Duffy goal. 

Losing to Bolton a week after putting in a really good display against Leeds. 

Basically, it's a rich tapestry of w@nk. 

It was clear after the Huddersfield surrender he had to go . How a manager can set up so negatively in two play off games is beyond me . Carlos had no plan B ,and Udders knew exactly how we would play . For me that was unforgivable and he had to go then . 

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe, but I’d take that right now Two play off appearances with us, and already Swansea climbing the table

He couldn't have got those results with us now. He had Bannan up to the third last match and Hutch, Hooper and van Aken right to the end and we were losing. He had to go. He admitted it himself in one of his first interviews after arriving at Swansea. He had no need to say he couldn't motivate the second team if he believed he could have turned it round.

To my thinking that was as big an admission of failure as Kevin Keegan's "Kevin Keegan's not quite up to it" admission when he left the England job. He also admitted he couldn't motivate the players. When you get to that stage there is nothing left.

Whatever he is doing at Swansea would never have happened here. It was too late. He had had half the season to turn things around and failed.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, pride_of_the_road said:

Didnt one of carlos back team leave at the same period?

Since he left we didnt match the style towards the end of the season

I wasn't aware of that tbh but it would explain things

Failing to sign a quality CB in the summer. We were priced out of buying Keogh and Morrison,  could have had Curtis Davies for £500k but then despite seemingly having a list of every CB in Europe we ended up loaning Venancio to be our 4th choice CB and spending a reported £4m on a CB who could pass a ball but couldn't tackle...a cat. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Morepork said:

It goes wrong in the closed season after CC's 1st year. What we need to push on is obvious to many of us but we get it so badly wrong.

This.

It was plain to see for most of us that to push on we needed a midfield beast, genuine pace in wide areas & a quality centre half to partner Lees. We're still waiting for all 3.

3 minutes ago, mogbad said:

This.

It was plain to see for most of us that to push on we needed a midfield beast, genuine pace in wide areas & a quality centre half to partner Lees. We're still waiting for all 3.

Dont forget the improved FB’s our first choices in that season would have then been our cover. Job done 

Edited by Morepork

20 hours ago, scram said:

Carlos being still in charge for the first game

Before then actually 

signing Rhodes for stupid amount when we clearly needed strengthen in defence & also energy in midfield, we didn’t need another striker as just signed winnall for a bargain 

this was the start for me but you are absolutely right he shouldn’t have been in charge for that Preston game, it’s been disastrous since then 

Having grown up watching Wednesday in the 90s, I would say it started going wrong when Paul Alcock (RIP) was pushed over by Di Canio. 

Ever since then watching Wednesday has been a ritual punishment, with a few moderate highs compensating for the overwhelming disappointment that is being a Wednesday fan since 1998. 

• Thanks 2

when we gave new contacts to semedo, loovens,nuhiu to keep haramony in the squad ( talent wins matches not keepin players happy) when carlos gave lewis mcgugan the cold shoulder plus then no squad number and he on big wages..... stocking piling forwards plus midfielders and having no cover in cb ie playing sasso against villa last season always dodgey signing players from mickey mouse leagues out foreign....brighton leeds games on tv last season car crash stuff  huddersfield first leg was the final straw watch prem match after it liverpool v west ham and siad we had no business playing them teams with the style were playing.... and not sacking carlos after playoffs

22 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Forget Wembley,  Carlos or player recruitment. If you could pick one defining moment this season when it all started to go wrong what would it be? 

Opening match?

Swapping Winnall for Butterfield? 

Sol Bamba's equaliser for Cardiff in 95th minute?

Duffy's goal for United?

October international break?

Other?

Playing Keiran Lee 3 months too early in his recovery, and against the wishes of our medical team, in the playoffs last year, that was the straw that broke the camels back.

This came on the back of circa 3/4 of our player investment being about making money for agents instead of building our squad strength / value. 

I don't blame the lad but it revolves around Fletcher.

1 Signed on daft wages on a 4 year deal - upset morale led directly to FF situation 

2 Got substituted against Hudds. We had just scored and every time the ball went near him Hudds s hat themselves. They were there for the taking and Carlos reverted to type.

The real issue was the failure to improve the first team (not the squad) post Wembley.

Hate to say it but I think we really have blobbed it now... I fear it will get worse before it gets better especially if we go down which by this time next week may well be likely if we don't get 6 points from the next two home games.  

Why oh why does our beloved club do this to us? We don't deserve it. Everyone says how wonderful Wednesday fans are. And we are. We genuinely deserve better. All I have to show for 38 years  of supporting this team is bleeding heartache, one league cup, 3 or 4 amazing years under BFR/Trevor Francis, witnessing the patron saint of skill Chrissy Waddle.  the pigs at Wembley and Cardiff - And set against that nothing but mediocrity and misery,  and two Fa Cup semi final defeats,  and still the only F *** ing team to lose two Wembley cup finals in the same season,  and serial relegations (including the shambles against Palace,  and  not turning up at Wembley against Hull (on the day even totally impartial observers said we were the loudest and best fans at Wembley) and then spunking a nailed on play off semi at home on penalties to Huddersfield. I mean Huddersfield. Really?

That's it.

I'm done...

So... See you guys on Tuesday night then eh? 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, tarn owl said:

Hate to say it but duffy goal is a good shout, we have been on a slide this then

Carlos should have been sacked at half time in the first Derby match. What should have been two nil down or more at half time was salvaged by Hooper, who saved Carlos's Bacon, an apt choice of word with the last kick of the first half. In fact if it wasn't for Hooper at the start of this season  we would have been getting hammered game after game at the start of the season. 

Let's not forget for the Derby at Bramall Lane we expected to get hammered. Jos worked a miracle, but that expectation still exists in the minds of our current first team. Getting hammered yesterday against a team on a par with the Blades just shows we haven't come that far from January. 

And why is this the case? We all know its the transfer policy under Carlos. Signing after questionable signing, buying the wrong players in the wrong positions. An absolute unmitigated failure. And if you'd listened to Carlos that was not his fault either. 

10 minutes ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

I don't blame the lad but it revolves around Fletcher.

1 Signed on daft wages on a 4 year deal - upset morale led directly to FF situation 

2 Got substituted against Hudds. We had just scored and every time the ball went near him Hudds s hat themselves. They were there for the taking and Carlos reverted to type.

The real issue was the failure to improve the first team (not the squad) post Wembley.

Hate to say it but I think we really have blobbed it now... I fear it will get worse before it gets better especially if we go down which by this time next week may well be likely if we don't get 6 points from the next two home games.  

Why oh why does our beloved club do this to us? We don't deserve it. Everyone says how wonderful Wednesday fans are. And we are. We genuinely deserve better. All I have to show for 38 years  of supporting this team is bleeding heartache, one league cup, 3 or 4 amazing years under BFR/Trevor Francis, witnessing the patron saint of skill Chrissy Waddle.  the pigs at Wembley and Cardiff - And set against that nothing but mediocrity and misery,  and two Fa Cup semi final defeats,  and still the only F *** ing team to lose two Wembley cup finals in the same season,  and serial relegations (including the shambles against Palace,  and  not turning up at Wembley against Hull (on the day even totally impartial observers said we were the loudest and best fans at Wembley) and then spunking a nailed on play off semi at home on penalties to Huddersfield. I mean Huddersfield. Really?

That's it.

I'm done...

So... See you guys on Tuesday night then eh? 

It's a very bad situation, but just like a car crash its hard not to continue to look on with concern. 

With Wednesday its like watching a five coach train wreck,  which with hindsight we could all see coming down the line nearly two years ago. 

Just now, s8owl75 said:

It's a very bad situation, but just like a car crash its hard not to continue to look on with concern. 

With Wednesday its like watching a five coach train wreck,  which with hindsight we could all see coming down the line nearly two years ago. 

I agree. But its so rude to rubberneck accidents. And  we keep doing it. I know it seasy to say we are all "long suffering" fans and indeed most fans (outside the top six) think their team is the biggest f *** up going but  consistently over the last 50 years taking into account our resources and support (and the fact we were flying when the Premier league started)- why have we consistently under-achieved.

We are not a sleeping giant. We are a comatose one...

46 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Having grown up watching Wednesday in the 90s, I would say it started going wrong when Paul Alcock (RIP) was pushed over by Di Canio. 

Ever since then watching Wednesday has been a ritual punishment, with a few moderate highs compensating for the overwhelming disappointment that is being a Wednesday fan since 1998. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/14760979

Di Canios last game for Wednesday still haunts me. Just noticed Di Canio kept Sunderland up after coming in with nine games to go on motd this evening. 

That reminded me of his days at Swindon with Leon Clarke. 

Desperate times, and for many years I couldn't forgive Di Canio. I hope Jos gets a reaction on Tuesday. If not we're in big trouble, which we all new was the case before Christmas. 

4 minutes ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

I agree. But its so rude to rubberneck accidents. And  we keep doing it. I know it seasy to say we are all "long suffering" fans and indeed most fans (outside the top six) think their team is the biggest f *** up going but  consistently over the last 50 years taking into account our resources and support (and the fact we were flying when the Premier league started)- why have we consistently under-achieved.

We are not a sleeping giant. We are a comatose one...

That comes from the leadership that's been at the top of the club. I hope Chansiri has learnt from his mistakes in the last two years. You can't blame him for the ineptitude at the top of Wednesday which has clearly been there for decades. 

For me, it all changed last January away at Brighton.  1-1, them down to 10 men and us with a Penalty - the rest being history, whilst also being so typical of Wednesday.  I genuinely believe that had we scored and gone onto win, automatic would have been achieved -thus Huddersfield would never have happened along with all the poo since then.  

What a sad state of affairs we find ourselves in. 

After the pigs game, we had been steady before that. I predicted after that game we would go like Birmingham last season, not in the relegation zone yet but still time, we need to improve big time! 

And i I tend to agree, if we had won at Brighton we would have had a real chance of automatic.