When did it start to go wrong?

1 hour ago, legendaryswan said:

Lopez and Sasso would have beefed us up,we messed up,both were an upgrade on what we already had

Lopez was such a fantastic player for our division. La Liga quality. I don't think at the time we realised how much of a good player he was. We should have started him in the playoff final against Hull.

Huddersfield, coming out of Hillsborough after that game was weird no anger no heart wrenching disappointment just numb. If I and others felt that way how did the players feel knowing we had the chance of promotion but had given it away the malaise started then snowballed Preston the pigs just added to it. We should have acted there and then and yes I'm speaking with hindsight we are in free fall we need tough decisions and we need them now 

10 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Not sure I follow the logic:

If Carlos being in charge was where it all went wrong, and we're doing worse under the manager.... how is having the most successful manager Wednesday have had in 20 years at the helm "when it started to go wrong"? 

We're in the mess we're in because of rotten luck when it comes to injuries, irrespective of manager.

If you can't follow the extremely simple concept of the post stating that my belief is that letting CC continue after Hudds is where it started to go wrong - then there's no point continuing the debate

1 minute ago, scram said:

If you can't follow the extremely simple concept of the post stating that my belief is that letting CC continue after Hudds is where it started to go wrong - then there's no point continuing the debate

I suppose.

And likewise:  If you can't follow the extremely simple concept of my reply indicating that I didn't understand your logic, with the inference being in essence "why would we fire the only competent and successful manager we've had after back to back playoffs"; there's no point in continuing the debate.

Have a good evening!  We'll see what happens against Ipswich.

To be honest this entire thread is full of "moments" that have hurt us. It's almost academic which was actually first because if it had not been one that started the slide it would have been another.

What is beyond discussion is the fact that for whatever reason there is no resilience in the playing squad, they were simply unable to put setbacks behind them and bounce back as most teams do.

It's clear now that many issues within the club have been allowed to fester. Fitness, professionalism, injury management to name but a few. Off the field, our cause has been hampered by a litany of poor decisions and shoddy management, which inevitably has cast its shadow over other aspects of the club. 

It's not good enough, people deserve better. much better. I'm not talking about promotions or winning things, I'm referring to a basic level of professionalism and commitment through all aspects of the club, to fall short on those fundamentals is unforgivable to a regular fan.

Edited by Morepork

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Huddersfield play off away.

Binned an on-fire side to shoe-horn FF back in, and went ultra negative at the same time.

This, we had won the last 6/7 and huddersfield were conceding for fun were at bottom of the form table and we let them off the hook big time.

That said one can only imagine the carnage had we gone up the way we are being run, we might point out that we would have had  truck load of Prem cash but our cash has been mismanaged so for under CC.

3 minutes ago, OzOwl said:

This, we had won the last 6/7 and huddersfield were conceding for fun were at bottom of the form table and we let them off the hook big time.

That said one can only imagine the carnage had we gone up the way we are being run, we might point out that we would have had  truck load of Prem cash but our cash has been mismanaged so for under CC.

Mate, we might have left the Prem with a truckload of cash but I can guarantee you someone would have left the keys in the ignition at the services on the way home......lol

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, robswfc said:

Fans turning on Carlos because of the United loss and that we weren’t in the auto promotion places around 10games in..

Ffs!

If it was only that simple we would not have anything to be worried about.

4 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Forget Wembley,  Carlos or player recruitment. If you could pick one defining moment this season when it all started to go wrong what would it be? 

Opening match?

Swapping Winnall for Butterfield? 

Sol Bamba's equaliser for Cardiff in 95th minute?

Duffy's goal for United?

October international break?

Other?

Bad run of injuries this season, sig dip in form in Carlos’s era (approx 3 months out of 31 months) and some idiotic fans forgetting where they had come from (and what had happened before) and wanting him out. Since then there has been a series of non-factual accusations aimed at our former head coach’s conduct which has resulted in us (as fans) denying the fact that we have lost out. The mere lack of reception for CC - a head coach who had brough us two great seasons previously, despite narrowly missing out on promotion to the Prem - when he returned to Hillsboro, showed little appreciation for him and his staff’s work and was petulant at best! 

Edited by AwokenGiant

Guest Bulgaria

signing Fletcher on ridiculous wages, thus the start of others wanting equal and then the dressing room becoming sour.

May seem an odd choice given that we went on to reach the play off final and then (the next season) the play offs but I’d go for when Collin’s Rotherham side did a job on us at Hillsborough. I thought they layed the blueprint on how to stop us playing. Other managers cottoned on and we gradually (intentionally?) became more and more defensive. 

Alternatively when we beat Arsenal and CC went 433 / 451. We rarely saw that formation again, that was a major mistake for me as it got our players in their best positions and imo we only needed two signings to really do that system justice, a pacy winger and a strong athletic striker.

I suppose looking at the above if we had played the 433 / 451 more often (and bought the players to suit) then we’d have been less predictable to set up against.

Guest mkowl

Good thread - like a few others on here I recall what DC said when he took over the Club about building long term stability. The fact in that first close season we did that with sorting the pitch and other improvements. Perhaps it was always the intention to go for a quick fix on the pitch but I still do think in that first season we got ahead of ourselves. Looking back we were decent but I think it helped a lot of other clubs were in transition. Last year we finished 4th but elsewhere all the other clubs were finishing that transition and we became complacent. Turning point for me was Middlesbrough getting promoted via a pragmatic style. It was seen as the way to succeed in this division but it never suited our strengths, it never suited the mindset of our players and we the fans who were promised better football were confused.

I Don't think anyone has mentioned it but the away game v Brighton last season. Murray sent off FF misses the penalty we concede and then implode down to 9 men. Huge turning point mentally 

4 hours ago, mrgund said:

Lopez was such a fantastic player for our division. La Liga quality. I don't think at the time we realised how much of a good player he was. We should have started him in the playoff final against Hull.

Football wise: Lopez was dropped for the play off final  because of the first half mullering we got at the Amex. Playing Hutch sort of made sense but we ended up unable to out play Hull which I think we could have done with him in the side. 

Dressing room wise: Fletchers wages triggering Norwichgate

Fan wise: needlessly expensive ticket prices

City-wise: Switching off after equaliser v Blades. 

Carlos wise: £20 note - sad confirmation of him losing the plot. 

Jos wise: Swansea home/ Millwall away line ups - worrying confirmation of him not even knowing the plot

Pace wise - Helan finding God

Heritage wise: 150th cake-gate shambles

Hope wise: Hirst shambles. 

Stadium wise: We need that slope back

Shirt wise: we need them stripes back 

and finally.... 

Traffic wise: There is no turning point North of the stadium. They've nicked the roundabout so you either end up in Sainsburys or Barnsley. I'd rather be in League 1 than either. 

• Haha 3