When did it start to go wrong?

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, mlpets said:

After Hull we brought Fletcher in on big wages rocked boat and for me lost all team spirit we had 

Yep.

3 hours ago, hawksmore said:

The problem with this is that he was never going to be sacked after finishing 4th. 

Its unrealistic for anyone to think it was a possibility. Even though the football was dour last season and in truth, I still can’t comprehend how we managed to finish 4th, it’s a results business and we somehow under Carlos improved. 

For ne it goes back further, from when Carlos refused to change things up until he had no option. His stubbornness very early on was a sure sign he wasn’t good enough long term. 

Carlos only sets teams up to attack when it is totally unavoidable. He bottles it when there is something to lose and goes defensive.

How many times have we been on top of teams get in front then try to shut up shop. How many times have we tapped it around trying to keep possession with no threat until the last 15 minutes when we are desperate.

He will bottle it at Swansea if they get to a position where they have something to lose. At the moment they have no option but to try to win so he has nothing to lose. Maybe he has learnt his lesson and I am wrong but I can't help but think that it was this tendency which cost us big time.

2 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

Carlos only sets teams up to attack when it is totally unavoidable. He bottles it when there is something to lose and goes defensive.

How many times have we been on top of teams get in front then try to shut up shop. How many times have we tapped it around trying to keep possession with no threat until the last 15 minutes when we are desperate.

He will bottle it at Swansea if they get to a position where they have something to lose. At the moment they have no option but to try to win so he has nothing to lose. Maybe he has learnt his lesson and I am wrong but I can't help but think that it was this tendency which cost us big time.

Maybe, but I’d take that right now Two play off appearances with us, and already Swansea climbing the table

No point saying what went wrong 'this' season. Anyone with an ounce of footballing knowledge knows it was going wrong well before this season. After the Wembley final, DC and CC allowed themselves to be drawn into the fact that we were only a couple of big names away from success. What do they then go and do? Yep, bring in Fletcher, Abdi and Rhodes who have drained the wage pot dry and offered nothing. All of them were positions we weren't short in and now we are stuck with them.

At this rate it's going to take 2, 3 or even 4 years to get back to anything close to that first season under Chansiri. Even then, that's only going to be with the right recruitment and here lies the problem. We have to stop thinking it's an entitlement because we are Sheffield Wednesday. We've done nothing noteworthy for the past 25 years....FACT. In that time the game has moved on ten-fold and we have been left behind. We needed to stay in the PL as long as we could but dropping out in 2000 set us back years. That's not going to be fixed in a short space of time and I believe DC needs guidance but will he accept it?

12 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Forget Wembley,  Carlos or player recruitment. If you could pick one defining moment this season when it all started to go wrong what would it be? 

Opening match?

Swapping Winnall for Butterfield? 

Sol Bamba's equaliser for Cardiff in 95th minute?

Duffy's goal for United?

October international break?

Other?

How can you say forget Wembley?

Jordan Rhodes hasn't the bottle to take a penalty, we lose, and it's all downhill from there.

If I have to forget Wembley then it has to be the big money signing of Jordan Rhodes for the reason above.

3 minutes ago, MuddyFunkster said:

No point saying what went wrong 'this' season. Anyone with an ounce of footballing knowledge knows it was going wrong well before this season. After the Wembley final, DC and CC allowed themselves to be drawn into the fact that we were only a couple of big names away from success. What do they then go and do? Yep, bring in Fletcher, Abdi and Rhodes who have drained the wage pot dry and offered nothing. All of them were positions we weren't short in and now we are stuck with them.

At this rate it's going to take 2, 3 or even 4 years to get back to anything close to that first season under Chansiri. Even then, that's only going to be with the right recruitment and here lies the problem. We have to stop thinking it's an entitlement because we are Sheffield Wednesday. We've done nothing noteworthy for the past 25 years....FACT. In that time the game has moved on ten-fold and we have been left behind. We needed to stay in the PL as long as we could but dropping out in 2000 set us back years. That's not going to be fixed in a short space of time and I believe DC needs guidance but will he accept it?

In a nutshell As far as I can see, we are still making mistakes, in virtually everything we do

15 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Forget Wembley,  Carlos or player recruitment. If you could pick one defining moment this season when it all started to go wrong what would it be? 

Opening match?

Swapping Winnall for Butterfield? 

Sol Bamba's equaliser for Cardiff in 95th minute?

Duffy's goal for United?

October international break?

Other?

other, not appointing a manager above our unknown coach at the start, he's had too much power, with no supervision, and boy are we paying for it.

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe, but I’d take that right now Two play off appearances with us, and already Swansea climbing the table

he failed to correct the mess he made here, what makes you think he can take over here and turn the injuries and lack of fitness around?

he's got a squad at swansea that someone else got fit for him.

Quite a few candidates. 

Failure to address clear deficiencies in the squad after the Hull game, namely a bit of pace, power, and physicality. 

Both Huddersfield games. 

Keeping the same group of people (head coach, coaching staff and players) together after two failed playoff campaigns. 

That Duffy goal. 

Losing to Bolton a week after putting in a really good display against Leeds. 

Basically, it's a rich tapestry of w@nk. 

3 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

After the Hull game.

Rather than maintaining our attacking style & strengthening our squad (in obvious areas); we changed our style of play.

Maybe the game itself playing Hutch over Lopez, we'll never know but it made me shiver on the day.