When did it start to go wrong?

This season would be the friendly against rangers. 

All the warning signs were there, we got torn to bits by a side that would struggle in the championship. 

It was very concerning after watching that performance and we went into the first game of the season with the same mentality. 

Back end of 2016 was when I first noticed the style had changed for good and when I first got wind of players playing through injury so I thought it might be a slippery slope. Then Carlos should've gone after the playoffs.

29 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

That’s frankly rediculous.

He was an integral part of us getting back into the top six last year, and right now is one of three fit strikers. Had we not signed him we would be facing the run-in with Nuhiu and Joao as our only available strikers.

What benefit did getting into the top six ultimately do? Could argue it's what kept Carlos in the job.

What benefit is Rhodes bringing by being one of three available strikers when he's not scoring? Could argue that had he not been here Winnall wouldn't have been sent to Derby.

After Wembley we all knew what was needed.  We needed a beast of a midfielder.  We needed a top central defender.  We needed pace.  

We are now, what... four transfer windows on from that?  We've spent millions; more money since Wembley than in many previous years combined.  Somehow, almost impressively in it's abject failure, we have weakened the side drastically.  

We peaked in that first season.  The second season was good in many respects but a lot of the warning signs were there.  This season has been one complete shambles.

I could really get angry if I think about it too much.  There were so many points at which we could have addressed the slide backward.  Proper recruitment post-Wembley.  A change of manager at the end of last season.  Not spending money on Rhodes after Winnall (and I'm still a believer in Rhodes).  

Urby Emmanuelson.  What in the sweet chocolate christ was that signing all about?

Forestieri objecting to travelling to Norwich.  Fair enough, I don't like travelling to Norwich but then again I'm not a professional footballer who spits the dummy out.

Signing players like Callum McManaman, Will Buckley or Aiden McGeady on loan to keep the subs bench warm.  

Urby flipping Emmanuelson.  Jesus Christ what the fizz was that all about.

Darryl Lachman.  Another one signed and moved on quickly.  

What about the capitulation at home to the blunts where we let Leon "Neymar" Clarke rip our defence a new one?

Hugely expensive season tickets because, after all if you want to compete you have to pay top dollar.

The bright advertising boards that leave me with a headache after most matches, or maybe that's the fact I witness such utter garbage week in week out, grinding my teeth and muttering "for fizzes sake" fifty times a half of football.  

Where did it go wrong?  There are a hundred things you could point to.  

For me it was Reading about 12 months ago. That game I called for Carlos' head. We went on a fantastic run shortly after that to be fair to the bloke, but for me regardless of that the writing was on the wall as to what direction our squad of slowpokes was heading.

If you want this season... the £20 rant will forever be the point of no return :carlos:

7 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Carlos not improving the starting 11 for 3 seasons, and the Chairman and fans allowing him to get away with it.

The chairman and who?

I know we signed Rhodes...but you can knock the 3 season failure on the head.

FFS.

The wrong strategies employed during the transfer windows  back as far as the one after the Hull Final;  the issuing of long and expensive contracts to players who were - or were soon likely to be - 'over the hill' ; and the mismanagement of the training and tactics by 'Carlos and Co.' - have all contributed to the cumulative crumbling of what was potentially a promising start when Mr Chansiri first arrived. We are now suffering the consequences of all this - and it will probably be a long and painful way back .

First we need to ride out the Fair Play thing - then we need to offload the 'deadwood' holding us back, including the deadwood at management level ( which will not be easy to achieve )  - and third we need to change our recruitment strategy to one which adds pace, drive, youth  and enthusiasm to the squad.

A few stripes here and there might also help to lift the mood amongst supporters who can only sit back and watch with increasing trepidation at the moment. 

This team was physically and mentally exhausted from two long playoff campaigns and needed a serious refresh in the summer, especially after not really improving the squad the previous season.

We should have moved on some of the older players (Wallace, Loovens etc) and brought in fresher, hungrier replacements.

This has been compounded by not doing the business in the January window either.

DC has to learn that it fine to sell players (even ones who are/were good). You can't stand still in football.

Brilliant thread.

1 How much could we use Winnall now!Obviously not the injured version.

2 How ridiculous it was to play so negatively against Huddersfield - and what an opportunity missed that was.

3 Not signing any of the rumoured defenders when we so desperately needed to.

4 But for me, signing Fletcher and throwing our wage structure out of the window. No problem with affecting the wage structure - but only on up and coming talent, not players that are looking for a long, latter career contract. Not meaning to diss Fletcher per se, but it lead to Jones and Boyd, and caused jealousy in the existing squad.

48 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Carlos not improving the starting 11 for 3 seasons, and the Chairman and fans allowing him to get away with it.

Aside from the club's record signing in Jordan Rhodes, a ~£4 million centreback in Van Aken, ~£4 millon worth of Adam Reach, Steven Fletcher, David Jones, and Gary Hooper...

... along with FF and Barry Bannan.

So, I mean, besides bringing in our best players, leading scorers, and usual starters, we hardly improved at all in the squad under Carlos in three years.

Edited by Indoor Owl

12 minutes ago, scram said:

He's not - he's doing worse

But that wasn't the point of this thread

Not sure I follow the logic:

If Carlos being in charge was where it all went wrong, and we're doing worse under the manager.... how is having the most successful manager Wednesday have had in 20 years at the helm "when it started to go wrong"? 

We're in the mess we're in because of rotten luck when it comes to injuries, irrespective of manager.

Edited by Indoor Owl