When did it start to go wrong?

It all started to go wrong at Preston, lost 1-0 and an awful performance over 90 min by

a team that looked light years away from being fit. They were booed off and much of

the anger was directed at Carlos, who promised after the Hudderfield farce that at the

start of this season the team would be fit and ready to go and he would have brought

in the 3 or 4 players needed to shore up an ageing defence.

What happened was a pre-season jolly in Portugal and the advent of Boyd.

Bolton was worse and with few exceptions this season will be remembered as one of

worst seasons in the past 40 years. Relegation is looming...

Guest The Horse

As the OP asked about this season, it's got to be when Carlos said the players were 'nervous' playing a friendly against Rangers.
Loads of posts straight after that saying we should write the season off there and then.
The warning sign was loud and clear and was metaphorically flashing with loud siren noises.
You could just feel something wasn't right and that uneasy sensation around the club still pervades to this day.

To go back further - the real wrong turn was with the summer signings after Wembley.
Wrong players for what we needed and upset the equilibrium in the dressing room that Carlos just couldn't manage.
Been spluttering ever since and now it's finally broke.

On 04/03/2018 at 00:41, Owl 44 said:

Forget Wembley,  Carlos or player recruitment. If you could pick one defining moment this season when it all started to go wrong what would it be? 

Opening match?

Swapping Winnall for Butterfield? 

Sol Bamba's equaliser for Cardiff in 95th minute?

Duffy's goal for United?

October international break?

Other?

On 4 March 2018 at 09:29, Big Rons Hairspray said:

Ross Wallace getting injured against Huddersfield in the play offs.

With him on the pitch we would have beaten them.

This plus Fletcher getting injured just after he scored that meant we had to make a change whilst we were on top.

Edited by Wakefield owl

On 4 March 2018 at 10:12, vulture_squadron said:

Sheff Utd at home was the point we realised it had all gone wrong but I don't think that was the turning point.

Truth is since Wembley we haven't made a good signing and Carlos' tactics were poo. You could argue that last year we won ugly and got more points etc but we were so slow and predictable even though we finished 4th. 

Bringing in a new manager when it had already gone to poo has made things worse.

Reach was a good signing but I'm struggling after that

On 4 March 2018 at 23:41, I'm an Essex Owl said:

I don't blame the lad but it revolves around Fletcher.

1 Signed on daft wages on a 4 year deal - upset morale led directly to FF situation 

2 Got substituted against Hudds. We had just scored and every time the ball went near him Hudds s hat themselves. They were there for the taking and Carlos reverted to type.

The real issue was the failure to improve the first team (not the squad) post Wembley.

Hate to say it but I think we really have blobbed it now... I fear it will get worse before it gets better especially if we go down which by this time next week may well be likely if we don't get 6 points from the next two home games.  

Why oh why does our beloved club do this to us? We don't deserve it. Everyone says how wonderful Wednesday fans are. And we are. We genuinely deserve better. All I have to show for 38 years  of supporting this team is bleeding heartache, one league cup, 3 or 4 amazing years under BFR/Trevor Francis, witnessing the patron saint of skill Chrissy Waddle.  the pigs at Wembley and Cardiff - And set against that nothing but mediocrity and misery,  and two Fa Cup semi final defeats,  and still the only F *** ing team to lose two Wembley cup finals in the same season,  and serial relegations (including the shambles against Palace,  and  not turning up at Wembley against Hull (on the day even totally impartial observers said we were the loudest and best fans at Wembley) and then spunking a nailed on play off semi at home on penalties to Huddersfield. I mean Huddersfield. Really?

That's it.

I'm done...

So... See you guys on Tuesday night then eh? 

Fletcher went off because he was injured - surprising how many don't know/have forgotten that

22 minutes ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

You may be right. I don't know for sure. He didn't look injured. He looked p'd off that Carlos took him off...

He signalled to the bench though. Wasn't picked up by the cameras but I'm certain I didn't imagine it.

It can be tracked back to when we sacked Roeder and our scouting / player strategy went from on the underpriced and on the way up to overpriced and on the way down. 

We tried to bet the house on 'proven' but we ended up buying over the hill. 

The Winnall / Rhodes debacle consummated this and unfortunately this gross financial negligence, coupled with Abdi, Fletcher, Jones et al will blot our copybook not only for this season but for the foreseeable in terms of financial restrictions. 

The appointment of another foreign manager instead of someone like Dean Smith who has proven themselves adept at recruiting future stars (we could have picked up any of Ollie Watkins or other quite easily) and Prem loans and moulding them into aggressive, pacey, football sides just shows how out of touch our Chairman is becoming. 

Even worse, Prem teams have our card marked because of Carlos refusal to play loanees so we're left with having to take chances on players like Pelupessy or Joost Van Aken when Bristol have Bobby Reid or Abrahams banging them in.

In short, the seeds of our issues this season were sown a long time ago with Jan 2017 being one we should be looking back on with pride (we got Winnall at a snip) when in actuality we can see it caused all sorts of personality issues in the team with Winnall quite rightly getting the hump that he'd signed under false pretences and was going to be playing 3rd, 4th or 5th fiddle to Fletcher, Hooper, Rhodes etc. 

And this without mentioning the psychological impact it had on Hirst in terms of path to first team. 

We should be sitting on prize assets in the form of Winnall, Hirst, Clare and instead all of them want away and we're stuck with the Championships finest who runs slower than my gran and can't hit a cows arris with her banjo

I was feeling pretty good about things until Cardiff's 95th minute equalizer. I swore at the computer 'who the fruck gave away that stupid foul' ? Completely needless and

just outside the box. Low and behold they scored from the free kick. It was Butterfield. 

After reading through this thread, it's heartbreaking what's happening in front of our eyes, what's worse is we are totally helpless and incapable to stop it, even if some did foresee it. The only thing that can stop the rot this season is our "BIG" players returning from injury, sharpish, and I hope and pray they come back fired up with a point to prove or this could well be our worst season in 150 years! The players need us as much as we need them for the remaining games!

7 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

Reach was a good signing but I'm struggling after that

Reach has turned out to be a good signing now he's playing in the middle but he was signed to play out wide in a 442 and it didn't work. He made little impact last season. You could argue that 5m could have been  better spent elsewhere.

On 04/03/2018 at 00:42, scram said:

Carlos being still in charge for the first game

This fo show - i'd even say the Rangers friendly showed what was to come ..

in fact when did it start to go wrong .. after the Hudds play off defeat ..

CC should have been thanked for his services and let go then

1 hour ago, vulture_squadron said:

Reach has turned out to be a good signing now he's playing in the middle but he was signed to play out wide in a 442 and it didn't work. He made little impact last season. You could argue that 5m could have been  better spent elsewhere.

£5m is about average now for a decent Championship player so would say money just about well spent. Had a good season but took a while to find his feet at Wednesday.

Cant think of another signing thats been a success for last 2 years.

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

This fo show - i'd even say the Rangers friendly showed what was to come ..

in fact when did it start to go wrong .. after the Hudds play off defeat ..

CC should have been thanked for his services and let go then

The most infuriating thing is we kept him on and he was lining up the Swansea job. 

No way he walks into that job 4 days after he was "sacked". 

Almost certain he was in talks with Swansea for a good few weeks before that. 

Shambles.